barrel/hand pivot point, a.k.a TTB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 3, 2014
But yet you did anyway....go figure. Smh...

For what it's worth, I've seen plenty of clips of Butter's hitters before and after, and there are excellent improvements in all of them over the given timeframes they were working in.

I also have a 7-page PM string from 5+ years ago with myself, and the two of them back then when they were attached at the hip (no pun intended...OK, maybe a little...lol). I won't share what either of them wrote, but here's a taste of where I was back then, and talking about the things that are the big talk of the town now...
Note, that "PoP" stands for "Position of Power" that I got from Dave Hudgens when I spent several days with him back around 2003, and its simply another name for "FYB", "Leveraged position"...."Connection Point" (Slaught), "Power-V" (Mankin), "Explosion Point" (Emanski), "Swearing In Position" (HI), "Truth Position" (Tewks), "Torque Position" (Epstein)....or whatever else you want to call it.

The whole conversation started with me trying to figure out wth "Cat/Cow/Cat" was all about that TDS had started but couldn't explain, and Butter was one of the (the only?) guys to jump all in with it for a while. Until he too realized that it was just more gibberish nonsense...that TDS eventually realized himself a couple years later, abandoned it, and then "found" the "leverage position" as all one needs to learn to have an MLB, and has been running down that long twisted path ever since.

It is kind of fun really to see all of the different connotations guys have come up with or move on to over the years when they can't explain something, and rather than work harder to clarify it....they just bail, pretend it never happened, and hope that additional pages of posts will bury their "Oopsies", and make everyone forget they couldn't/can't explain wth they're talking about...here, and possibly/probably to students, and why they're asked to simply show proof that they have...at least just once....pretty please?👌
Ahh the good old days...

Man, things are crazy these days. I am using a version of the 4x4 drill you have talked about to get my hitters to feel balanced at the rear hip as they stride out to get good at hovering. And just today I figured out how to use the lead side obliques (aka up front actions). Hovering now feels so much easier when you add that little nugget in there.

Plus engaging the lead side obliques is helping create the rear hip coil. Start on a braced up rear leg and then contract the LSO (Lead Side Obliques). TTB at launch. I know I shouldn't be mixing but while we socially distancing it's acceptable.

Release the lead side obliques to start the descent deeper into the coil (feels like loading your butt) leads you into the PoP and then TTB to swing. Easy peasy...

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
My first thought is that I have no idea what you're talking about...the hips load in only one plane? That sounds like simply twisting them over a stationary pivot point, and therefore you'd have no lateral movement, and from our previous discussions, I never got the feeling that's what you meant.

Actually loading them indirectly through movement. Not making a muscle contract in anyway.

May 12, 2016
But yet you did anyway....go figure. Smh...
And what is it you are doing right now? go figue. SMH...

For what it's worth, I've seen plenty of clips of Butter's hitters before and after, and there are excellent improvements in all of them over the given timeframes they were working in.
Not that I don't appreciate your opinion, but in this context its not worth anything. Good for you, you saw his clips.. in what way does that help me visualize? Thanks for the history report, I was just looking for a video. TDS was good enough to provide one, I was curious to see what was so different about BM's.
@Buttermaker .. thank you for posting your swing, much appreciated

Last edited:
May 3, 2014
I’m going to try a stride with an open stance. Just to see what my swing looks like.
When you go to pick up your lead leg try contracting your lead side obliques to help do it. Curious to see how you feel about it and what it does for you.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Ahh the good old days...

Man, things are crazy these days. I am using a version of the 4x4 drill you have talked about to get my hitters to feel balanced at the rear hip as they stride out to get good at hovering. And just today I figured out how to use the lead side obliques (aka up front actions). Hovering now feels so much easier when you add that little nugget in there.

Plus engaging the lead side obliques is helping create the rear hip coil. Start on a braced up rear leg and then contract the LSO (Lead Side Obliques). TTB at launch. I know I shouldn't be mixing but while we socially distancing it's acceptable.

Release the lead side obliques to start the descent deeper into the coil (feels like loading your butt) leads you into the PoP and then TTB to swing. Easy peasy...

Baby steps Ray.. At least you're alone when trying to mix :).. Once the foreign feel goes away we can add the down to feel.

May 3, 2014
the more I play with it - I feel the lead side lat is primarily engaged/contracted. This would make sense with all of the movement the lat is responsible for. The lat originates at the ilaic crest.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying