barrel/hand pivot point, a.k.a TTB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Understood. And I didn't figured you would remember or anybody for that matter. When I posted she needed a lot of help despite being of the top hitters with pop. on a very good team.

This was the first swing I ever recorded of her... no instruction back then, but this was her best years hitting.. go figure, so much wrong with this swing lol

This one a year later..

A lot of technical flaws of course, but she still had success and hit much better against top pitching vs bad pitching. Anyway not about my DD, but fun to look back :)

So we both agree on FYB.. even though the swing and shift being one entity confuses me a little. That's ok, no point spinning wheels because I don't quite get it. or see it for that matter.

Watching videos like that brings back some great memories of when my DD was that age. She is in college now and still playing, so I still enjoy any time we get to spend together working on her hobby. But It's a reminder that we are much closer to the end of the journey than we are to the beginning of it.

In respect to your daughter's swing, sure there are some flaws, but I see a lot there to work with. If I was working with her in the the first video, I would not have recommended huge changes. Just some tweaks to better understand swing launch at first, and then go from there. When I watch the second video, it reminds me of what swinging from a balanced leverage position would look like. Ultimately I think we just have different ways of viewing the swing and different things we are looking for. I don't think our goals are any different, but our paths to get there definitely are. Nothing wrong about that...

P.S. I know you mentioned that your daughter no longer plays. Hopefully you still spend a lot of time together and can celebrate whatever her new hobbies happen to be. They sure grow up fast.... Enjoy it as much as possible.

May 12, 2016
Watching videos like that brings back some great memories of when my DD was that age. She is in college now and still playing, so I still enjoy any time we get to spend together working on her hobby. But It's a reminder that we are much closer to the end of the journey than we are to the beginning of it.

In respect to your daughter's swing, sure there are some flaws, but I see a lot there to work with. If I was working with her in the the first video, I would not have recommended huge changes. Just some tweaks to better understand swing launch at first, and then go from there. When I watch the second video, it reminds me of what swinging from a balanced leverage position would look like. Ultimately I think we just have different ways of viewing the swing and different things we are looking for. I don't think our goals are any different, but our paths to get there definitely are. Nothing wrong about that...

P.S. I know you mentioned that your daughter no longer plays. Hopefully you still spend a lot of time together and can celebrate whatever her new hobbies happen to be. They sure grow up fast.... Enjoy it as much as possible.Glad
Happy your DD still plays and is having success.. I do wish my DD was still playing. It was something we bonded over and we had a great time together.

Teaching her fly fishing this summer and thinking about picking up golf together, that will be fun. Still, I will miss the tournaments, the social aspect etc

Jun 8, 2016
Teaching her fly fishing this summer and thinking about picking up golf together, that will be fun.
My father was a good golfer. Had a short putt to win a club tournament missed it, tossed his clubs in the pond and never played again (this was before I was born). I am like my father personality wise..needless to say I have never played golf..

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Holy crap, I cannot believe how many times you guys go round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round or as some posters say and angularly displaced and angularly displaced and angularly displaced and angularly displaced and angularly displaced and angularly displaced and angularly displaced and angularly displaced and angularly displaced and angularly displaced and angularly displaced and angularly displaced and angularly displaced and angularly displaced and angularly displaced and angularly displaced and angularly displaced and angularly displaced and angularly displaced and angularly displaced and angularly displaced and angularly displaced and angularly displaced and angularly displaced and angularly displaced and angularly displaced..........it get's old. please go back to BBD. Stay here if you want to be helpful to others.

Jul 29, 2013
Never said launching before toe touch was ideal. Just that its feasible. And if you have everything else correct it will still work out. And again we are talking about micro seconds here.

I dont personally remember your daughters swing and rarely comment on youth hitters because it tends to get contentious. Not saying I never do, just that I prefer not to. ABAF is moving ALL weight from all back to all forward. If a hitter maintains dynamic balance that wont happen. I see ABAF as being unbalanced.
I'm thinking about balance and movement.
Isn't balance actually resistance to movement?
Stand in a narrow stance then lift one leg to create movement.
Then stand wide stance and lift one leg, create movement.
What happens in a narrow stance and force is applied through both legs to create movement.
And finally a wide stance and apply force to both legs.
Does horizontal movement require becoming unbalanced first?
Which movements are more controlled vs the more powerful vs quick moves.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'm thinking about balance and movement.
Isn't balance actually resistance to movement?
Stand in a narrow stance then lift one leg to create movement.
Then stand wide stance and lift one leg, create movement.
What happens in a narrow stance and force is applied through both legs to create movement.
And finally a wide stance and apply force to both legs.
Does horizontal movement require becoming unbalanced first?
Which movements are more controlled vs the more powerful vs quick moves.

Personally I look at dynamic balance as the combination of movement and resistance. Both elements are needed. The bigger the movements the more resistance is needed to counter it. If the movement is so big that you cannot control it you are no longer balanced.

Jul 29, 2013
Personally I look at dynamic balance as the combination of movement and resistance. Both elements are needed. The bigger the movements the more resistance is needed to counter it. If the movement is so big that you cannot control it you are no longer balanced.
Bigger movements require more imbalance. The resistance regains balance and arrests the movement.
Isn't running just a series of forward falls with the action of the leg elevating the body after each semi-fall? Create imbalance (lean) forward, move forward. The movement is controlled but the imbalance remains. Lean forward and use the force of gravity to accelerate.
Regain forward balance to stop movement. That's the resistance.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Trout owning movements for his sequence. Unfortunately most folks will only see what's happening in the frontal plane.

DA53R5I.gif

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA