TTB vs HTTB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 11, 2015
giphy.gif

If you TTB naturally, then trying to TTB will have a negative effect. You will release the barrel to soon. If you look at the young me, I TTB without any thoughts.

If you loop, dump the barrel and uncock the hands, then TTB and creating a deep rotational point for the hands will be problematic.
Agreed. I think the problem lies in over-manipulating the bat with the pronation/supination of the forearms that some thought was the rage years ago (might still for all I know).
7HcKzCL.gif

Yes, I fell for this over-baked voodoo for a short time years ago, and it wasn't pretty (the swing, and the eventual ugly exit from that website). So I understand the rancor some still have for the term "TTB" if/when it's being thought of or getting taught in the above manner.

But I think that's like throwing the baby out with the bath water, because all HL hitters do TTB to the ball, they just don't turn it in the ill-fated teachings shown above.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Agreed. I think the problem lies in over-manipulating the bat with the pronation/supination of the forearms that some thought was the rage years ago (might still for all I know).
7HcKzCL.gif

Yes, I fell for this over-baked voodoo for a short time years ago, and it wasn't pretty (the swing, and the eventual ugly exit from that website). So I understand the rancor some still have for the term "TTB" if/when it's being thought of or getting taught in the above manner.

But I think that's like throwing the baby out with the bath water, because all HL hitters do TTB to the ball, they just don't turn it in the ill-fated teachings shown above.

Unfortunately whenever TTB is brought up, some people only think of one name. It's unfortunate and minimizes the potential for honest discussions about hitting, but it is what it is. In a lot of ways, it is not much different than a political discussion. There is 'far left' and 'far right'. Some people are unwilling to see the entire world that exists between the two.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Cornbread,

I’m going try to resurrect that swing. No crazy loading, trying to coil to much, simple like you see in that swing. You can see a subtle load, much like the swing I liked of my recent swings into the heavy bag.

Yeah, yeah, your right the swing is FYB. Wasn’t really paying attention of that.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I’m

I’m going try to resurrect that swing. No crazy loading, trying to coil to much, simple like you see in that swing. You can see a subtle load, much like the swing I liked of my recent swings into the heavy bag.

Yeah, yeah, your right the swing is FYB. Wasn’t really paying attention of that.

funny how things seem to work out. Started trying some weird sh— and things just fell apart. more Kool-aid sir?

Sep 17, 2009
I find that Yellich/Bonds drill circulating really interesting and maybe the first new/truly useful idea I've seen in a long time.

I agree hitters swing down. The hands and barrel start up here (points to shoulder) and end up down here (points to contact point). That's clearly down. But it's how you get down. And here I find the clock analogy often cited particularly useful. I like the idea that you start at 12 and the bat travels rearward down the back of the arc to a 6 oclock contact point. The 'clock' may be flatter on a high pitch and more oblong on a low pitch. But the barrel travels -- IS TURNED *DOWN* -- along that that reaward path. If you tip, the bat actually starts at something like 10 or 9 oclock and then reverses/gets turned to travel that path.

The other way to swing down is to start the barrel at something like 12 or even lay it back at 1 or 2 oclock and rather than turn it it around and down you cut 'across' the clock face directly to contact, A-to-C so to speak.

I wish I had access to a cage right now to play around with the Yellich drill, but I think you'll only hit the plate if you TURN THE BARREL DOWN vs. simply SWINGING DOWN. I think there's a difference and it's the way to reconcile the pro swing down feel with the pro real-world swing.

Maybe this is all obvious but it's useful to me and I think the Yellich hit-the-plate drill appears to be a great way to test the idea and over a period of time/over a hitting session groove a 'turn the barrel down' bat path.

And finally, I don't think that a turn-the-barrel-down bat path is at all natural or will simply happen if you have the right posture and sequence. Like many athletically advanced things, it's a bit counter-intuitive and becomes learned by most great hitters through trial and error and that efforts to 'teach' TTB isn't about forcing it but accelerating adaption and learning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee