barrel/hand pivot point, a.k.a TTB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2017
I'll know I'll get blasted for this because we are looking at one of the all time greats. But IMO if matching the plane(palm up) is the goal here.. then it's not happening. He loses the barrel, the barrel is not in the zone for a long as it can be because it dips too low and he needs to come at an angle to get back on plane. That's much different than on plane and up through. That's below plane and up through.. kind of the opposite of too steep.
The barrel never gets level! The barrel has to go down, level, then up

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
So "palm up" doesn't mean what it says it is, it means something completely different. How convenient for you. Lol!!

Then why don't they say, "keep the barrel up and out of plane" if that's what they're trying to say?

"Come on!" what? The question still stands, what is it that you teach your hitter(s) to stay on top of? The already downwardly traveling ball? Applying geometry to the swing path why would you instruct them to do that?

Why are you introducing a new caveat of timing into the discussion now? Sure, if I do anything too early or too late there's a potential of it negatively effecting the swing, but that's not the discussion we're having on the "path" of the swing now are we?

Well the shortest "route" is a straight line, and we're right back to where we started in a straight line "down to" the ball. Yep, shortest, but most definitely not the most efficient.

Really, that's what you're going with...the hands are on plane?

Even after looking closely at Josh's swing you just posted where his hands are on a completely circular path, and never align with the relatively straight downward path of the ball...but for except maybe a fraction of a second as they pass in and out of the zone long before the barrel gets anywhere near it? Yikes! 😲

So now you do want a "loop" in your swing? I thought you wanted to stay on top of ball, and then go straight "down to" the pitch. Well good to see you're at least finally starting to come around now anyway. 👍

LOL 😆

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Honestly, I'd like to see it tightened up a bit, but in generalities...yes, that's "hips then hands", and getting the barrel "behind and through" the ball that I talk about.

So would this abbreviated dry swing be tightened up then ? Of course none of us probably no what he's demoing here...

338f5jB.gif

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
When folks speak of top of the ball or top half they are focusing (aiming) on hitting the top line (or there abouts) as its coming into the zone .. Its a point of reference that allows hitters to adjust the barrel from swing to swing. Now if hitters are all back all forward this doesn't work of course.

d5scIzv.png

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi