barrel/hand pivot point, a.k.a TTB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
I'm not a coach or an instructor, just a parent of a kid who no longer plays the game. My DD had bad mechanics when she played.. mostly due to my inexperience and bad instruction. She was 5'2", 115lbs soaking wet. She also bat 3,4, or 5 in the lineup. She was a much better hitter before I started learning enough to make me dangerous. .. but she was still good. 3rd base would creep in and our own 3rd base coach would tell the other team pull your player back, she's not going to bunt.. He did this because he didn't want to see a kid get hurt.

This post has little significance, because I would do a lot of things different(instruction) if we had those years back. It has little significance period because my focus during this entire discussion is based on what the pros do and say. What they practice to make them successful. I said right from the start I am not trying to convince anybody to change their methods.

I'm not going to question your kids and their outcomes (pattar makes a good point and I agree). I'm happy for you that you have so many successful hitters regardless of your limited knowledge of important concepts like FYB, posture etc.

The part bolded made me laugh out loud, really loud! You must be making quite a name for yourself.. Disney movie anytime soon?? LOL
What makes you think my knowledge of it is limited?
Maybe I'm like the pros who don't talk about FYB, posture , etc. because it's not important?
Lol

Jul 29, 2013
why do want to make it personal? I don’t want to do that. That gets feelings hurt. It’s not worth it.
Feelings? I'm not worried about your feelings.
Personal because it has to do with experience, not theory. Let's bring some real world into the discussion.

May 12, 2016
What makes you think my knowledge of it is limited?
Maybe I'm like the pros who don't talk about FYB, posture , etc. because it's not important?
Lol
Because you said it's not important. Because you said if you TTB you don't have to worry about sequence(FYB), because you said if you TTB FYB will take care of it's self. I asked you to explain what you meant by that, and you kept avoiding my question. This tells me your knowledge is limited. Here's your chance again, explain to me if you TTB how does that put you in a FYB sequence/position?

BTW the pros do talk about FYB..

Jul 29, 2013
Having some struggles with timing is pretty common for players just starting to learn how to TTB with HLP mechanics. When they learn how to get their body in sync, and get a feel for how long they can wait before they have to commit, things come together.

Experimenting with TTB for "a couple of sessions" isn't really committing to the process of learning how to hit with those mechanics
I've found that TTB adds bat speed and the hitter needs to adjust to how quickly the bat gets to the zone. The bat gets there much quicker so it allows the body to speed up and not be out front too much, pull off the ball.
More available bat acceleration allows more body acceleration allows more bat acceleration . .... feed back loop.

Jul 29, 2013
Because you said it's not important. Because you said if you TTB you don't have to worry about sequence(FYB), because you said if you TTB FYB will take care of it's self. I asked you to explain what you meant by that, and you kept avoiding my question. This tells me your knowledge is limited. Here's your chance again, explain to me if you TTB how does that put you in a FYB sequence/position?

BTW the pros do talk about FYB..
Where's the video?

Jul 29, 2013
Answer my question
Not possible to use words that you would understand much less agree with. You need to experience it. Get a bat and do some discovery.
That's what I did in order to be able to concede that theres a tiny bit of validity to down to that exists at the very start of the swing. A momentary feeling that immediately needs adjustment to become TTB and get the bat going toward the ball.
I experienced it. You need to try to figure it out on your own.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877