barrel/hand pivot point, a.k.a TTB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 11, 2015
There's a lot of just talking points to unpack here, but I'll give it a go anyway.
it’s not ‘palm up’ to create the barrel behind the ball...
Getting the palm up as early as possible does cause the barrel to start its rearward movement/path that lets it get "behind the ball" whether hitters are thinking about "creating" that path or not.

it’s to stay on top or level at worst correct?
Stay on top of or level to what? The ball? That's just more talking stuff that's not what actually happens in any HL swings.

Think about it for a minute. Does it really make sense to "stay on top of" a ball that's already heading down from the top of the upwardly stretched hand/arm of a 6' plus tall pitcher, standing atop a 10" high mound?

IOWs, if the pitch is heading down from say a height of 8' out of the pitcher's hand "down to" the catcher's glove at 3'...how do you get on or match its plane if you're trying to "stay on top of" it, and/or what would "level" to it be...you mean on plane? :unsure:

Smallest loop possible is the goal, right?
Most "efficient" loop possible is the goal. How do you define what's big, medium, or small when if comes to a loop in a swing? Is Josh's below "small", "medium" or "large" and what's your criteria or measuring tool to establish that?

... if thats the case then we wanna be outta plane until we NEED to be on plane right?
I have no idea of what this "outta plane until we need to be on plane" mumbo jumbo means.

The whole time I'm working to get in or on plane with the ball (just as JD talked about in his video, and Ted talks about in his book). That's why I'm trying to find a barrel path that's going to get me on plane as soon as possible, to have more of a hitting zone from which to work with to hit the dang baseball in.

like this right?

1588631117689.png
Sure, Josh had a great swing, and the proper "loop" or barrel path (from behind and under his rear shoulder) to get on plane early enough to match the two planes (ball and barrel) in order to "barrel up" that pitch very nicely.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
There's a lot of just talking points to unpack here, but I'll give it a go anyway.

Getting the palm up as early as possible does cause the barrel to start its rearward movement/path that lets it get "behind the ball" whether hitters are thinking about "creating" that path or not.

that’s not what palm up means. It means keeping the barrel up and out of plane. Miggys demo shows this

Stay on top of or level to what? The ball? That's just more talking stuff that's not what actually happens in any HL swings.

well it’s not on top of the world Mud. Come on!

Think about it for a minute. Does it really make sense to "stay on top of" a ball that's already heading down from the top of the upwardly stretched hand/arm of a 6' plus tall pitcher, standing atop a 10" high mound? If the pitch is heading down from say a height 8' to catcher's glove at 3'...how do you get on plane with it if you're trying to "stay on top of" it, and/or what would "level" to it be...you mean on plane? :unsure:

When you ‘lose’ ‘drop’ ‘work’ ‘level’ ‘go up’ with the barrel too soon. You’ve committed to early and will either be out of the zone too quickly or ‘Miss’ the intended target. You can’t bring the barrel back up it’s too late. So one must stay on top until commitment. 🙂

Most "efficient" loop possible...how do you define what's big, medium, or small when if comes to a loop in a swing? Is Josh's below "small", "medium" or "large" and what's your criteria or measuring tool to establish that?

shortest loop or route or radius possible.

I have no idea of what this "outta plane until we need to be on plane" mumbo jumbo means.

now you know. 🙂 the hands are what is on plane. The barrel will follow the hands if on top.

The whole time I'm working to get in or on plane with the ball (just as JD talked about in his video, and Ted talks about in his book). That's why I'm trying to find a barrel path that's going to get me on plane as soon as possible, to have more of a hitting zone from which to work with to hit the dang baseball in.

At the end of the day we want a ‘loop’ we can control and release when we want, which could be early or later. Not all balls will be hit at the midline.

Sure, Josh had a great swing, and the proper "loop" or barrel path (from behind and under his rear shoulder) to get on plane early enough to match the two planes (ball and barrel) in order to "barrel up" that pitch very nicely.

It’s about control. See my answers inside the quote

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Those are pretty swings. Both hit the ball more out front than some would recommend and turn the barrel later in the sequence. Great balance. Head/eyes stay pretty still. IMO both are 2 legged.

That's the part of these discussions that I have always found interesting. When I first joined the forums, my assumption was that all hitters were two-legged. Then I started digging. It took me a while but with some patience I was able to learn what one-legged really means and how it can be misunderstood or misrepresented at times. Based on what I know now, I would say that both of these hitters are one-legged, or more accurately, rear-legged. But if two-legged helps you understand the process better, and more importantly, allows you to help the hitters you work with, enjoy. The mechanics themselves are far more important than the terms that are used to describe them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877