Barnhill

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 14, 2014
Barnhill would still be a very good pitcher, but throwing 70 MPH from 43' is a lot different than throwing 70 MPH from 39'. Fuzzy math shows a 70 MPH fastball thrown from 39' is equivalent to a 77 MPH fastball from 43' in batters reaction time.

It doesn’t appear she throws 70 from 43’. When I’ve watched her pitch after being called for IP, she gets it to 65 max.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
. That said it isn't the crow hop that holds her back....its her mental game. She gets rattled too easily.
She doesnt field her position well either. Dont know why we dont see more bunting off of her.

I am convinced that she leaps and replants before release and that when she gets called, her speed drops significantly as noted above.

Ive noted previously in other threads that I cant really watch Florida games with Barnhill pitching. Its a travesty. (Ocasio, on the other hand, is one hell of an athlete!) I have everything DVR’d so im behind in watching the games, but now i know not to delete the UCLA -Florida game !

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
It doesn’t appear she throws 70 from 43’. When I’ve watched her pitch after being called for IP, she gets it to 65 max.

After she gets called for an IP she gets rattled and starting overthinking, she slows everything down and looses her release point and things tend to get out of hand...

Jul 3, 2013
After she gets called for an IP she gets rattled and starting overthinking, she slows everything down and looses her release point and things tend to get HIT OUT OF THE PARK...

fixed it for you

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
If the NCAA is in kahoots, why would they not control *which* slo-mo replays of Barnhill are even allowed to air on ESPN?

I was surprised to see how much Barnhill leaping they were showing on tv this season- last year it seemed like most barnhill footage did not show below the knees.

Nov 3, 2012
The thing that baffles me is that the opposing coaches don't really seem to care. Would the umpires be a little more concerned about if opposing coaches constantly came out and complained about Barnhill's leap. I don't think Ive seen a coach protest or complain on Barnhill or other pitchers. Could it be these coaches are concerned that they might get some blowback and the umps start watching there pitchers more closely. I think tactically, it wouldn't be a bad call to come out and say something during a crucial point in the game.

Feb 7, 2013
A couple of questions here...

Is Barnhill a great pitcher who Crow hops?

Or is Barnhill a great pitcher because she Crow hops?

Both. However, I will say Barnhill gets more backspin on her riseball than any other D1 pitcher and throws it on 3 different planes. Neither of those facts relate to her crow hop. For speed, I don't think her crow hop is much of an advantage since she gets to the front of the circle just like every other top D1 pitcher but they are not dominating like her. But even if she gains 1 foot farther distance from the pitching plate than she normally would, that does not account for her dominance in the game over the last 3 years. For example, Paige Lowery throws in the low 70's but is not the same pitcher as Barnhill. With that said, I think opposing teams have started to "figure" Barnhill out, especially the second half of this season and is the reason you see so many home runs hit off of her.

As someone mentioned, her mental toughness when things don't go her way is questionable and she is a terrible fielding pitcher probably because over the years she struckout most batters and never had to work on that part of her game. She reminds me a little bit of Chuck Knoblauch who had the throwing yips, it was always an adventure to see him throw to a base.

Love her or hate her, she is an entertaining pitcher and my DD and I always find ourselves wanting to see her pitch to see what will happen next.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdwingnut