Coach MSU rules- height of pitch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 22, 2011
I'm not going to question the umpire unless I see the play. Especially in 8u and 10u pitches occasionally come with a high arc resembling a slow pitch trajectory. I don't like calling them strikes, but occasionally they catch enough of the back half of the strike zone you have to call them. According to a coach an umpire in a tournament I am UICing for this weekend in a game Friday called one for a 3rd strike. The coach keeps insisting to me that it is an illegal pitch in fastpitch.

On Friday after the game the coach complained to me:
1) in USSSA and AST (a break off from USSSA) that it was an illegal pitch in fastpitch if came in with an arc more than 6 feet and he had recently seen an illegal pitch called in an AST tournament for that.
2) I patiently told him this was USA softball and I had gone down that rabbit hole several years ago when I first started umpiring because I was aware of the slow pitch rule, but there is no such rule in fastpitch, but I would review the rules again.
3) Saturday he came up to me still insisting it was an illegal pitch. When I told him I had looked it up and found no fastpitch rule in regard to the height of the pitch, he still insisted it was illegal. I asked him to provide me the rule, rule supplement, or casebook reference saying it was illegal. He said he knew a lot of umpires who had told him it was illegal, and he has umpired a bunch of "friendlies." He said he was going to call a friend who had been the UIC of a local rec league for several years. He did, but his friend didn't answer.
4) I politely asked him when he found it, to provide me the rule, rule supplement, or casebook reference saying it was illegal, and walked away.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2011
My friend who has been umpiring for over 25 years and for the last 10 has mostly done USSSA/AST said there is no rule in USSSA/AST Fastpitch about the height of the pitch. Another friend is a UIC/Tournament director for AST but I don't have a current email for him and it is too silly a question to call or text him about.

I forgot to mention the coach complaining was a 10u coach :) .

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I'm not going to question the umpire unless I see the play. Especially in 8u and 10u pitches occasionally come with a high arc resembling a slow pitch trajectory. I don't like calling them strikes, but occasionally they catch enough of the back half of the strike zone you have to call them. According to a coach an umpire in a tournament I am UICing for this weekend in a game Friday called one for a 3rd strike. The coach keeps insisting to me that it is an illegal pitch in fastpitch.

On Friday after the game the coach complained to me:
1) in USSSA and AST (a break off from USSSA) that it was an illegal pitch in fastpitch if came in with an arc more than 6 feet and he had recently seen an illegal pitch called in an AST tournament for that.
2) I patiently told him this was USA softball and I had gone down that rabbit hole several years ago when I first started umpiring because I was aware of the slow pitch rule, but there is no such rule in fastpitch, but I would review the rules again.
3) Saturday he came up to me still insisting it was an illegal pitch. When I told him I had looked it up and found no fastpitch rule in regard to the height of the pitch, he still insisted it was illegal. I asked him to provide me the rule, rule supplement, or casebook reference saying it was illegal. He said he knew a lot of umpires who had told him it was illegal, and he has umpired a bunch of "friendlies." He said he was going to call a friend who had been the UIC of a local rec league for several years. He did, but his friend didn't answer.
4) I politely asked him when he found it, to provide me the rule, rule supplement, or casebook reference saying it was illegal, and walked away.

It is WILD that someone would do this and never, at any point, actually look up the rule. I mean, I guess it makes sense because that's just how people act in the world these days (actual objective information, like rules printed in a rules book, have exactly as much weight as "someone told me this one time").

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles