back leg, front leg and hands

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Let's go have another cup of coffee. :cool:

You guys can be my Designated driver.
ani-gifs-alcohol-1046077557.gif

May 16, 2010
So, just answering the questions asked would be easy.

What you do Jim is you try to make conversations confrontational and personal. Instead of just answering simple questions.

You say things like "you look like a fool" or "so many of your statements are ignorant". Just hoping that the thread will get locked or posts will get deleted.

So, in the words of William Wallace. "Just answer the fargin question"? Do the physics you use to describe what you see in an elite swing also describe what you see in an 8 year old amateur?

I believe I had more but we can start there. If you do not want to answer. Just say so. No need for the snide comments to try to belittle, so you can puff your chest.

I HAVE and DO answer questions. I try to answer them in simple terms and you don't agree with them, so then I try to prove them correct with technical details, and you still don't believe me. I don't know what to do. I state absolute laws of physics facts, and you dispute them. How am I supposed to deal with that?

If you can't grasp that the swing from a laws of physics perspective is like a 50 gallon barrel with two sticks on it, one being like the arm, with a pivot point where it connects to the barrel, and the other stick connected to the other end of the first stick, with a pivot point, and when the barrel is rotated, it moves the sticks. THAT is the EXTREMELY basic physics principles involved.

The torso is the barrel, the arm is like the first stick, the bat is the other stick. When the torso rotates, the arms and bat move.

Now, that principle is the same whether it's an 8 year-old or Barry Bonds. The DIFFERENCE is in the efficiency of the bio-mechanical movements used to get maximum acceleration and velocity into the bat head. The human body is more complex than just two sticks with two joints hanging on a barrel. Therefore, force can be applied at different times and in different ways, than just one force turning a 50 gallon barrel, but the basic fundamental physics needed are the same. You need to rotate to move the bat head most effectively. The discussion is in regards to what are the best bio-mechanical actions that will produce the most rotation and whip of the bat head.

Physics and bio-mechanics are two different things. The bio-mechanics apply forces in many ways.

The legs rotate the torso, the rotating torso moves the arms and hands, but the arms and hands can also have separate forces (from muscles), move them. The wrists and hands can move the bat head.

The key to efficiency is to have the individual muscles work in a perfect timing, rhythm and sequence that adds to the primary source of energy which starts with the legs rotating the torso.

Did I answer your question?

Last edited:
May 16, 2010
nadal.gif
OneLeggedGolfer.gif

Just because it's funny. We are just talking about hitting and not politics,right?
Some people can't even grasp that there IS a transfer of energy, or how that happens.
Thanks for trying to help.

You still don't understand it. I doubt that you ever will.

Answer my question please, that I've asked MANY times and no one answers.

You show two guys hitting off one leg. SO WHAT. Of course you can hit off one leg, but that isn't what MLB hitters do. What is your point? Are you saying that MLB hitter's front leg has no purpose, and contributes nothing to the swing in regard to power?

My unanswered question is this; if the front leg does nothing to contribute force to the swing, then how is it that anyone can hit the ball farther when using two legs, instead of one?

I've actually given the answer several times, but you don't seem to buy it. Now, please answer MY question, and back it up with some facts, not just your theory, or what you think you see in a video.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I HAVE and DO answer questions. I try to answer them in simple terms and you don't agree with them, so then I try to prove them correct with technical details, and you still don't believe me. I don't know what to do. I state absolute laws of physics facts, and you dispute them. How am I supposed to deal with that?

If you can't grasp that the swing from a laws of physics perspective is like a 50 gallon barrel with two sticks on it, one being like the arm, with a pivot point where it connects to the barrel, and the other stick connected to the other end of the first stick, with a pivot point, and when the barrel is rotated, it moves the sticks. THAT is the EXTREMELY basic physics principles involved.

The torso is the barrel, the arm is like the first stick, the bat is the other stick. When the torso rotates, the arms and bat move.

Now, that principle is the same whether it's an 8 year-old or Barry Bonds. The DIFFERENCE is in the efficiency of the bio-mechanical movements used to get maximum acceleration and velocity into the bat head. The human body is more complex than just two sticks with two joints hanging on a barrel. Therefore, force can be applied at different times and in different ways, than just one force turning a 50 gallon barrel, but the basic fundamental physics needed are the same. You need to rotate to move the bat head most effectively. The discussion is in regards to what are the best bio-mechanical actions that will produce the most rotation and whip of the bat head.

Physics and bio-mechanics are two different things. The bio-mechanics apply forces in many ways.

The legs rotate the torso, the rotating torso moves the arms and hands, but the arms and hands can also have separate forces (from muscles), move them. The wrists and hands can move the bat head.

The key to efficiency is to have the individual muscles work in a perfect timing, rhythm and sequence that adds to the primary source of energy which starts with the legs rotating the torso.

Did I answer your question?

So the request is "Do the physics you do to describe what you see in an elite swing. Also describe what you see in an 8 year olds swing"

Your answers:
The DIFFERENCE is in the efficiency of the bio-mechanical movements used to get maximum acceleration and velocity into the bat head. The human body is more complex than just two sticks with two joints hanging on a barrel.

You need to rotate to move the bat head most effectively.

The legs rotate the torso, the rotating torso moves the arms and hands, but the arms and hands can also have separate forces (from muscles), move them.

AND THE BIG SECRET TO HIGH LEVEL HITTING...IT IS OUT OF THE BAG:
The wrists and hands can move the bat head.

HOW PROFOUND!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01