back leg, front leg and hands

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 25, 2009
Yes, I stand by it. His entire body has momentum moving forward. When his front foot touches down, something stops that forward momentum, and translates it into angular momentum. You seem to not understand how that works, and my answer would require stating some laws of physics, which you seem to not understand. So, I'm not going to bother.

Maybe it would be clearer if you used the word "redirects or transfers" that energy into another part of the body? IOW, the energy doesn't just stop as it seems some are interpreting your explanation.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Yes, I stand by it. His entire body has momentum moving forwardPUSH When his front foot touches down, something stops that forward momentumBLOCKand translates it into angular momentumPUSH. You seem to not understand how that works, and my answer would require stating some laws of physics, which you seem to not understand. So, I'm not going to bother.

Or just use words we all know.

Dec 29, 2010
P/b/p move to the right, right foot stomp, move to the left, left foot stomp, now cha cha weeeeeeeeeee

disclaimer- too much coffee, song in my head from a b-day party my youngest went to over the weekend.

HYP

Nov 17, 2012
Yes, I stand by it. His entire body has momentum moving forward. When his front foot touches down, something stops that forward momentum, and translates it into angular momentum. You seem to not understand how that works, and my answer would require stating some laws of physics, which you seem to not understand. So, I'm not going to bother.

Maybe it would be clearer if you used the word "redirects or transfers" that energy into another part of the body? IOW, the energy doesn't just stop as it seems some are interpreting your explanation.

bondsfeet.gif

The problem I have with the wording is the mechanics they describe isn't right.

The words describe a swing rotating around the spine. A swing that is around the shoulders. He says that the block stops the forward momentum and translates that into angular momentum (which I understand. Not quite as dumb as Booth makes it sound). That would mean that once you block, the hips gain speed around (rotating) and then that is transferred to the torso, which gains speed as the hips decelerate etc. So again, that would all be fine and good if you are playing slow pitch softball.

The front hip clears going into toe touch. The rear leg is the driver so the rear hip stays above the rear femur and pivots. As the rear hip moves forward it is pushing the front hip around because of the off set angle that was created prior to toe touch. The rear hip is not "rotating" around the spine. The rear hip is staying as linear as possible, as directional as possible, staying as coiled/loaded as possible. It is not just turning closed and then turning open.

Look at the Bonds clip. The hands stay with the rear shoulder. They pivot there. That is where the power is supplied. That is where the angular momentum happens.

It is not push linear, block, push back. That would be linear to rotate. I am saying it is rotation to linear. You create the angular momentum around the rear shoulder, around the rear hip. Once you throw the barrel, it goes as linear as possible.

Watch the clip, up to the second pause he is creating angular momentum. That is where Jim says the block happens. In Jim's model the angular momentum doesn't start until after the block. That is to late. The second pause is where he is either releasing the barrel as linear as possible or checking the swing.

Rotation to linear is where it is at.

Last edited:
May 16, 2010
To bad you will not bother. Would it be the same laws of physics that you would use to describe one of the 8 year old softball players on this site. Because if it is, I am glad you will not bother.

How far forward does Bonds head move? How much does it move down? How much are his hips opening at front foot plant? In what you describe, how does Bonds delay for off speed? How straight is his lead leg at your second pause? So how much can he push back after that to move the lead hip back?

The lead hip is clearing prior to front foot touch. The rear hip now has some where to go, so it will not slam into the front hip.This forward moving of the rear hip continues to move the front hip back. The lead leg is firm, like I said before. It is firm enough to maintain dynamic balance. The lead hip is moving away from the front foot lengthening the lead leg coupled with the firmness it snaps straight.

I admit and have admitted that I could care less about the physics you see in a swing. When you start using different physics to describe the 8 year old kid then you use to describe arguable the greatest hitter ever. Then I may listen intently.

As I said, your disregard for the physics, and lack of knowledge of it, prevents any reasonable discussion. I can't possibly state anything in response to the above that would change your mind, because you wouldn't understand what I would post.

There are so many ignorant statements in what you said above, that I don't know where to start. You simply do not understand momentum and force, and how they are created and transferred. That makes any discussion with you, about how they work in a swing, quite futile.

May 16, 2010
bondsfeet.gif

The problem I have with the wording is the mechanics they describe isn't right.

The words describe a swing rotating around the spine. A swing that is around the shoulders. He says that the block stops the forward momentum and translates that into angular momentum (which I understand. Not quite as dumb as Booth makes it sound). That would mean that once you block, the hips gain speed around (rotating) and then that is transferred to the torso, which gains speed as the hips decelerate etc. So again, that would all be fine and good if you are playing slow pitch softball.

The front hip clears going into toe touch. The rear leg is the driver so the rear hip stays above the rear femur and pivots. As the rear hip moves forward it is pushing the front hip around because of the off set angle that was created prior to toe touch. The rear hip is not "rotating" around the spine. The rear hip is staying as linear as possible, as directional as possible, staying as coiled/loaded as possible. It is not just turning closed and then turning open.

Look at the Bonds clip. The hands stay with the rear shoulder. They pivot there. That is where the power is supplied. That is where the angular momentum happens.

It is not push linear, block, push back. That would be linear to rotate. I am saying it is rotation to linear. You create the angular momentum around the rear shoulder, around the rear hip. Once you throw the barrel, it goes as linear as possible.

Watch the clip, up to the second pause he is creating angular momentum. That is where Jim says the block happens. In Jim's model the angular momentum doesn't start until after the block. That is to late. The second pause is where he is either releasing the barrel as linear as possible or checking the swing.

Rotation to linear is where it is at.

EVERY physicist on the planet, agrees that the angular momentum that is created in a swing and transferred to the bat, is from rotation around the spine, but I guess they are all wrong, and your theory is right.

The legs are used to rotate the torso. It rotates on the spinal axis. If you don't understand that, then it is hopeless to discuss the swing with you, as it relates to the physics involved.

I'm not trying to be rude, but we've had discussions for 2 or 3 years, and it's clear that you simply don't understand even the very basic physics involved.

May 16, 2010
Or just use words we all know.

Fine.

When I said, "SOMETHING stops that forward momentum" I was being a little sarcastic. The "something" is the "Block" but, the block involves fairly complex bio-mechanics that transfer the energy. I didn't want to make it more complex. Some people can't even grasp that there IS a transfer of energy, or how that happens.

HYP

Nov 17, 2012
As I said, your disregard for the physics, and lack of knowledge of it, prevents any reasonable discussion. I can't possibly state anything in response to the above that would change your mind, because you wouldn't understand what I would post.

There are so many ignorant statements in what you said above, that I don't know where to start. You simply do not understand momentum and force, and how they are created and transferred. That makes any discussion with you, about how they work in a swing, quite futile.

So, just answering the questions asked would be easy.

What you do Jim is you try to make conversations confrontational and personal. Instead of just answering simple questions.

You say things like "you look like a fool" or "so many of your statements are ignorant". Just hoping that the thread will get locked or posts will get deleted.

So, in the words of William Wallace. "Just answer the fargin question"? Do the physics you use to describe what you see in an elite swing also describe what you see in an 8 year old amateur?

I believe I had more but we can start there. If you do not want to answer. Just say so. No need for the snide comments to try to belittle, so you can puff your chest.

HYP

Nov 17, 2012
EVERY physicist on the planet, agrees that the angular momentum that is created in a swing and transferred to the bat, is from rotation around the spine, but I guess they are all wrong, and your theory is right.

The legs are used to rotate the torso. It rotates on the spinal axis. If you don't understand that, then it is hopeless to discuss the swing with you, as it relates to the physics involved.

I'm not trying to be rude, but we've had discussions for 2 or 3 years, and it's clear that you simply don't understand even the very basic physics involved.

Here is the problem Jim. I understand what you are saying. I understand the physics you describe. I am just not buying. You are basically talking about turning really hard to power the swing. Again, perfect for slow pitch softball. So, have you talked to every physicist on the planet?

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Fine.

When I said, "SOMETHING stops that forward momentum" I was being a little sarcastic. The "something" is the "Block" but, the block involves fairly complex bio-mechanics that transfer the energy. I didn't want to make it more complex. Some people can't even grasp that there IS a transfer of energy, or how that happens.

nadal.gif
OneLeggedGolfer.gif

Just because it's funny. We are just talking about hitting and not politics,right?
Some people can't even grasp that there IS a transfer of energy, or how that happens.
Thanks for trying to help.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles