back leg, front leg and hands

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2010
I understand exactly what you are saying. That is why I do not agree.

You are saying:

The rear hip is moving forward. The lead leg blocks/redirects that energy into rotational energy. The lead leg straightens forcing the lead hip back to complete rotation. The rotational energy of the hips is transferred to the torso as the hips decelerate, the torso speeds up. The torso is now transferring energy to the hands/bat. As the shoulders slow down, the hands/bat speed up. Am I close?

hrh2sm.gif

On the swing on the left, where is all of that rotational energy? Where is all of that angular momentum? I know where and I know where it happened and it aint around the spine.

Remember this clip that you posted?

bondsfeet.gif

And I said the angular momentum is created between pauses 1 and 2? Not between pauses 2 and 3? What you describe creates the momentum between pauses 2 and 3.

Between pause 1 and 2, which way are the hands moving? are they moving in an arc? Like a quarter circle? They move down and for ward with the rear shoulder. Like they are pivoting around the rear shoulder. Could that not create angular momentum? You are the expert as it pertains to creating energy and physics and angular momentum. If you understand what I am saying. You have the Angular momentum hands/back shoulder moving in a 1/4 arc. You have the mass (barrel), you will have velocity and radius or the separation between objects (hands/barrel).

I am sure you will let me know if you think I am ignorant or not and I very well could be. I am not a physics major. I just know what I see happening and where I think the energy is created.

Thanks for trying to explain things to me.

I'll be brief. You do NOT understand what I've said.

I agree that angular momentum starts between pauses 1 and 2. Why do you think I said differently? His front foot is down at pause 1, (the block) his hips have started to turn. The weight is fully on his front foot between pause 2 and 3 (contact). I said that the push back was between 2 and 3 and that it ADDED to the angular momentum. I didn't say that the push back started angular momentum.

I have said in the past, that the hips start to uncoil (have angular momentum) as the block starts. The block redirects the forward momentum and increases the angular momentum, and the push back increases it more. You don't get all the angular momentum just from turning on the back leg. The back leg primarily shifts you forward. You don't have to move your head to get a pressure shift.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2009
I'll be brief. You do NOT understand what I've said.

I agree that angular momentum starts between pauses 1 and 2. Why do you think I said differently? His front foot is down at pause 1, (the block) his hips have started to turn. The weight is fully on his front foot between pause 2 and 3 (contact). I said that the push back was between 2 and 3 and that it ADDED to the angular momentum. I didn't say that the push back started angular momentum.

I have said in the past, that the hips start to uncoil (have angular momentum) as the block starts. The block redirects the forward momentum and increases the angular momentum, and the push back increases it more. You don't get all the angular momentum just from turning on the back leg. The back leg primarily shifts you forward. You don't have to move your head to get a pressure shift.

That all sounds good except the "push back". To me, push back is an action, whereas what you describe is a reaction.

I know the front leg can actively assist the swing, through adduction(?) or abduction(?). whichever (where there is a feeling on the front leg like squeezing a volleyball). But that is different than pushing back as I believe most people describe pushing back.

"Pushing back" is just a poor description. I don't believe it clearly describes what you know.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
I hope that the many coaches that lurk reading through these posts dont get the wrong idea about this discussion.
I for one rarely mention either the front leg or the rear leg when working with hitters. I would use coil foward, uncoil. keep the head centered. Stretch. work on sequence.etc. But(so) this is the teckie side, NOT WHAT MOST TEACH. (involving absolutes of legs)

That said, Cabrera transfers the weight against the front side, and throws the BARREL at the ball, hits it to right, which appears to be his plan all along, his set up gives that away. He appears to just PRESS, against the front side. There is more front leg action in the pitch down the middle, more hip action. It would be good to see other clips of Cabrera, swinging outside, to see if he was just hitting for situation.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
It seems that some do teach the push back, of the front leg.

This is from a link from Redhotcoach, in the drills section.

"What initiates hip thrust then?? Besides the core, which is a no-brainer...

It's the straightening of the front leg that initiates hip thrust. As the front knee begins to stiffen and push the hitter behind the incoming baseball, the front hip pushes towards the catcher, which creates an opposite and equal reaction to bringing the back hip through.

Alright, so here's one of the 5 Best Swing Smarter Hitting Drills for hip thrust...

Setup off a tee with the tee and baseball just behind the front leg but over the middle of the plate (Deep Tee Drill). Get into your stride position with 50/50 weight distribution and maybe even 60/40, 60% on back leg and 40% on front side. The front leg should be slightly bent...this drill should be broken up into two-parts:

1.Stride-Load, and
2.Straighten-Swing

When we straighten the front leg, we should focus on pushing behind the barrel, like in the "Four Things Deep" article on Chas's Hitting Rebellion Blog (HR). Check out the following YouTube slow motion video of Chas Utley and watch how when his front leg straightens (NOT heel drop), you can see his hip thrust and rotation begin"

I was looking for drills, and came across this link, quite by accident, as although you guys have been discussing it, i had no idea someone trying to use this action to further power the hips.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles