back leg, front leg and hands

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
How productive:rolleyes: Right now its my belief the back leg is useless after it starts shrinking. You know, BENDING. Its now nothing but a kickstand. Someone said the Momentum of the hips, from the back leg pushing the rear, hip pulls the front leg straight.

Why would you slow the rotation of the hips by pulling something? The front leg has muscles, use them to Push the front hip. Even more power would come from the flairing of the front leg.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
You still don't understand it. I doubt that you ever will.

Answer my question please, that I've asked MANY times and no one answers.

You show two guys hitting off one leg. SO WHAT. Of course you can hit off one leg, but that isn't what MLB hitters do. What is your point? Are you saying that MLB hitter's front leg has no purpose, and contributes nothing to the swing in regard to power?

My unanswered question is this; if the front leg does nothing to contribute force to the swing, then how is it that anyone can hit the ball farther when using two legs, instead of one?

I've actually given the answer several times, but you don't seem to buy it. Now, please answer MY question, and back it up with some facts, not just your theory, or what you think you see in a video.

"According to "Golf Fitness Magazine," knee injury is the second most common injury a golfer can experience. The golf swing puts a tremendous amount of torque on the structure of the knee. For right-handed swingers, the left knee will see the most strain"

If we accept that there are similarities between the BB/SB swing and a golf swing, why is there torque if the front leg is adding to the rotation initiated by the rear leg/hip?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
"According to "Golf Fitness Magazine," knee injury is the second most common injury a golfer can experience. The golf swing puts a tremendous amount of torque on the structure of the knee. For right-handed swingers, the left knee will see the most strain"

If we accept that there are similarities between the BB/SB swing and a golf swing, why is there torque if the front leg is adding to the rotation initiated by the rear leg/hip?

Many of the injuries in golf pertaining to the front knee have to do with not allowing the front foot to be somewhat open ... it's a common issue, and unfortunately a somewhat common injury.

May 16, 2010
So the request is "Do the physics you do to describe what you see in an elite swing. Also describe what you see in an 8 year olds swing"

Your answers:

AND THE BIG SECRET TO HIGH LEVEL HITTING...IT IS OUT OF THE BAG:

HOW PROFOUND!

Sit on your butt in the batter's box, with your chest facing the pitcher and your feet in front of you. See how far you can hit the ball with the arms and hands.

The SECRET OF HIGH LEVEL HITTING is; timing the use of the hands to the energy flowing up from the ground AFTER the legs supply the main energy. You can hit the warning track with dead hands. Well timed, proper use of the hands will get it over the wall. The hands are the last link, not the first, and they are a small source of force.

If you don't use the legs and core properly, you won't even get it to the warning track, even with good hand use.

The rotating torso is the primary power source. Or, if you just want to talk in plain English, just listen to Ted Williams, "the hips lead the way."

The torso is moved by the legs.

I'm still waiting for your answer to my question about the front leg. If it supplies no power, how come you can't hit it over the fence while standing on the back leg only? Or, maybe YOU can. Let me know.

Stand on your back leg like the one-legged golfer and hit some baseballs or softballs off of a tee and see how well you do.

Then you can even coil and use that back leg like you believe and push while maintaining coil, off of just the back leg. I'll even let you drop the front leg to catch all that momentum, with one condition. You have to hit the ball before the front foot touches down. Tell me how that works out.

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Sit on your butt in the batter's box, with your chest facing the pitcher and your feet in front of you. See how far you can hit the ball with the arms and hands.

The SECRET OF HIGH LEVEL HITTING is; timing the use of the hands to the energy flowing up from the ground AFTER the legs supply the main energy. You can hit the warning track with dead hands. Well timed, proper use of the hands will get it over the wall. The hands are the last link, not the first, and they are a small source of force.

If you don't use the legs and core properly, you won't even get it to the warning track, even with good hand use.

The rotating torso is the primary power source. Or, if you just want to talk in plain English, just listen to Ted Williams, "the hips lead the way."

The torso is moved by the legs.

I'm still waiting for your answer to my question about the front leg. If it supplies no power, how come you can't hit it over the fence while standing on the back leg only? Or, maybe YOU can. Let me know.

Because the front leg provides resistance, allowing the rear leg to fire more explosively while maintaining balance.

May 16, 2010
Because the front leg provides resistance, allowing the rear leg to fire more explosively while maintaining balance.

That's complete nonsense.

Resistance to what? And, another word for resistance, is hinder. How does a hindrance help a mass to accelerate? How does its resistance cause the back leg to fire better? It fires and if there is no resistance, more momentum will occur. How can more momentum be achieved when a resistance is applied.

That's like holding the brakes on my bike will allow my legs to fire better to get the bike going? Huh!?

HYP

Nov 17, 2012
How productive:rolleyes: Right now its my belief the back leg is useless after it starts shrinking. You know, BENDING. Its now nothing but a kickstand. Someone said the Momentum of the hips, from the back leg pushing the rear, hip pulls the front leg straight.

Why would you slow the rotation of the hips by pulling something? The front leg has muscles, use them to Push the front hip. Even more power would come from the flairing of the front leg.

Because the lead leg is firm. If the rear hip is moving forward. The front hip will be moving the other direction. If you wait for the push back of the lead leg to gain power. The ball will be by you.

HYP

Nov 17, 2012
That's complete nonsense.

Resistance to what? And, another word for resistance, is hinder. How does a hindrance help a mass to accelerate? How does its resistance cause the back leg to fire better? It fires and if there is no resistance, more momentum will occur. How can more momentum be achieved when a resistance is applied.

That's like holding the brakes on my bike will allow my legs to fire better to get the bike going? Huh!?

Ever shoot a sling shot? When you pull back on the pouch and stretch the rubber tubing. Are you not providing resistance until you let go?

Also, I never said the front leg was useless. I said it doesn't push back in the sense of a push. Like I said before. It is firm. It is maintaining dynamic balance. The lead hip moves away from the front foot because of the direction the rear hip is moving. That is what straightens the leg. It is not a timed push back. So, can it truly be considered a push.

Oct 25, 2009
The energy of the front leg on some swings, if described as a "push", would be a push "back", not a push "lateral". A push lateral would be in the direction of the catcher. That would be the wrong kind of resistance. A push back would be in the direction behind you, not beside you. It would be more like a torque—or angular rotation, if you will. Subtle, but critical, difference.

R

RayR

The energy of the front leg on some swings, if described as a "push", would be a push "back", not a push "lateral". A push lateral would be in the direction of the catcher. That would be the wrong kind of resistance. A push back would be in the direction behind you, not beside you. It would be more like a torque—or angular rotation, if you will. Subtle, but critical, difference.

Exactly...trying pushing laterally...see how far that gets you...

It is the natural act of the front leg straightening because the rear hip / leg have started forward....which is a "push" in the physics sense only....of course the opposite of this is the front leg bending more during the swing.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeTD&Coach