11yo please help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
If "pitching is her dream" than I think you need to take it more seriously. She seems to have some talent and desire to want to pitch. A couple of suggestions, take every pitching session seriously. Having her sister spinning around on the swing is too distracting, you need quality one on one time with her. Have her always pitch with cleats on; never have her pitch (or for that matter do anything softball) in jeans; create a pitching area, go to the field, or at least have a pitching plate for her to work from; take her to as many pitching lessons as you can afford early on and take good notes and ask a lot of questions you will be her personal pitching coach for the forseeable future so you need to educate yourself on pitching mechanics (good start by you coming to this forum); my expereince is that no pitching coach will know what "internal rotation' is because it is a term coined by this site's Boardmember to help describe what happens immediately prior to release but that does not mean a PC can't help your DD be a better pitcher. What to look for in a PC: experience (did SHE play college softball? All things being equal I like a female pitching coach); is PC used by some of the better pitchers in your area (the better PCs will be hard to get an appointment); can PC relate to your 11YO and teach in an effective manner; does your DD like the PC (I think this is important because she will want to go see her/him to get better). Just my .02. Good luck!

Oct 31, 2009
Again thank you. i guess that is also some good advice . it is her dream. she tries to get me out there everyday. that video was actully something my daughter shot with her phone.I just figured i'd use it to post as a place to get started. it was already in my phone. also that is a good idea maybe i do need to go to the local field and use a rubber. she definitely has the drive. hey i see your name is socaldad i'm in so cal also. Anyone you might recommend ? I live in the high desert victor ville area but willing to travel as long as it's not extremely far. Well like i said i will post some more serious videos here in the near future. Btw hopefully with the help from all of you, i can get her where she needs to be. Hopefully i can have her ready to pitch a game 12u by next season. Kinda hectic. She plays on a 12 you travel ball team and we practice 3 days a week as it is. Plus games on the weekends but i'm sure you all know how it is. Again thanks for any and all help.

Mar 18, 2009
La Crosse WI
the hillhouse videos are okay, but they don't break down the mechanics to fundamentals steps that enable you to execute the pitches. I like Ernie Parker's videos. Cheryl Kempf (?splg) has good technical instructions on her stuff.
Just remember that learning good fundamentals in the delivery aren't achieved by repetition of the full delivery. Rather, the pitcher must practice drills which break down and isolate parts of the delivery one at a time. Get one component locked in correctly and then move on to the next.
jim.

Nov 29, 2009
Just remember that learning good fundamentals in the delivery aren't achieved by repetition of the full delivery. Rather, the pitcher must practice drills which break down and isolate parts of the delivery one at a time. Get one component locked in correctly and then move on to the next.

What I tell the girls I work with is that I am going to teach them how to pitch backwards. I always get a funny look from them. Once I start with simple wrist snaps and proceed further into the delivery motion they understand exact what that means an buy into the process. It's worked real well for me. I deal with a lot of young, beginner girls.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
What I tell the girls I work with is that I am going to teach them how to pitch backwards. I always get a funny look from them. Once I start with simple wrist snaps and proceed further into the delivery motion they understand exact what that means an buy into the process. It's worked real well for me. I deal with a lot of young, beginner girls.

Our pitching coach did this same approach with my DD when she was just learning how to pitch and its effective (I think Boardmember called it Reverse Chaining where you start at the end (release) and work your way back to the beginning of the pitching motion). As she gets better, I think the isolated drills become less important (e.g. wrist snaps), with more focus should be on involving the upper and lower body actions together (e.g. K drills or walk throughs).

Jul 9, 2010
Cindy Bristow has a whole section on this website. Look at Cindy's website - softballexcellence.com. She has lots of free m"mini-lessons" that can help correct some specific things. If you like what you find there, you can purchase e-lessons for something like $1 each, which again will give some things to work on.

As ar as what to look for, the number one thing, at the age your DD is, would be someone who can relate to her, and help her, and you, to understand why she is doing what she is doing. In our experience, we have ahd pitching coaches who bark orders, some who intimidate with the "I was a superstar in college and/or pros", and some who actually explain the mechanics of each grip, pitch, arm position, foot position, etc. Who do you think we get the most from?

Your DD has natural ability. As such, she is starting out a year of two ahead of where my DD started. One-on-one is best, group is next, and videos last. But, there is good info out there.

And, I'm sure you know this, but the one consistent pitching coach she will have for the next 7 years is YOU. Learn all you can, because she will look to you for help during tourneys.

Jul 9, 2010
Yes, to this. And I start it on one knee, with a power line drawn.

My 17 yr old still does this drill as her warmup before she pitches. While the other pitchers are standing up taking slow-mo's to get loose, she is on a knee. Learned it when she was about 10, and it's still sort of her fix-all security blanket.

Jul 14, 2008
This young lady looks really good for a beginer to I/R.......

She hits some VERY KEY positions thoughout her motions........

Ball facing in on the way up......Opens her hips nicely........Rotates it to facing the target at the top......Keeps the ball on top on the way down........Stays inside the ball prior to release.........Uses I/R through release with the hand snapping inward toward the body..........

Very nice start..........

2e6eseq.gif

I'd worry about her landing area.........Look how much her plant foot slides.......Screws up the timing and could be dangerous..........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy