Pitching stats per level

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 20, 2023
I’m looking for feedback/insight from coaches on what pitching stats distinguish between an A level, B level, and C level pitching in 11/12U. This is my 11 y/o daughter’s first year/fall of travel and she’s starting out on a C team due to lack of experience, however she seems to be doing well stat-wise for 11U C level pitching in our area? Do coaches solely look at speed, number of pitches and placement? She’s been subbing this fall because her rostered team does not start until next week for the 2024 season. In 48 innings pitched, 93K, 50 BB 60% strike ratio, WHIP is 2.583, speed-wise she’s 45-48 (has hit 52.3 in lessons) throwing consistent strikes, she can place a pitch fairly well, she really only has two fastballs and a change-up. Her ERA is not good, but she’s been mostly subbing for a defensively weak team, lots of dropped 3rds and missed gimme outs at 1. She has pitched and subbed 14C and B. Does this put her in the C or B category for pitching at 11U? Should we be looking to play B level ball next season? I really have no frame of reference, I’m just a bucket mom that has never played any sport. I realize I look at her through mama glasses, but she works hard, wondering where we should be looking to place her for her to grow.

Dec 20, 2023
She should be on the best team that she can be on and get mound time.
I agree 100%. I guess my question is, are we justified trying out for B level teams next with her stats trending as they are right now, with limited (1 year) experience in travel, with a reasonable expectation that she would make one or will we be laughed out of the tryout process because I have mom goggles on?

May 13, 2021
I agree 100%. I guess my question is, are we justified trying out for B level teams next with her stats trending as they are right now, with limited (1 year) experience in travel, with a reasonable expectation that she would make one or will we be laughed out of the tryout process because I have mom goggles on?
Stats are not only a product of how good a pitcher is. They are also a product of how good the girls behind her are. Go watch some games at a higher level. If you think she can compete, go tryout for the best team in your area. If that don’t work out go try out for the second best team. Nobody is going to laugh at you.

Nov 5, 2014
Only way to find out is to try. Nothing you hear on this site about your DD's stats will tell you where she is at. One of many issues is A,B,C can mean very different things in different areas. She is clearly having some amount of success so go to tryouts for a few different teams and you will get a feel for where she stands. Just make sure you don't put too much stock into the outcome of any one tryout. There are all kinds of reasons having nothing to do with her ability that might prevent her from getting an offer on a specific team.

Nov 9, 2021
Find the team that is the best fit regardless of classification. If she can find a B team that she will get a lot of innings pitching then go for it. Just be careful not to join a better team and then find out she is a 3rd or 4th option as a pitcher. Find a team that needs a pitcher. Innings pitched is probably the most important thing at this time in my opinion.

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
Sadly, just because a team claims they are B does not mean they are better than the team she is on. Class level is set by the coaches and at the younger levels many teams are not classified correctly.

Having enough innings to keep her motivated to grow as a pitcher and being on a team that is focused on learning and having fun should be the priority.

Apr 14, 2022
It is hard to tell pitchers stats separate from the defense. Not only errors but getting to balls they should, allowing extra bases, etc. it seems she is doing well.

See how the season goes and team improvements. Many teams will move up a level second year 12 u. Pitching and fielding is a large part of a teams level.

Evaluate hitting and fielding and Make sure they are adequate for at bats and playing time outside of pitching at the level they are playing. Too young to be pitcher only. Would recommend basing the decision on hitting, if she needs to face better pitching, move up.
Quality over quantity innings. Dominating can be fun, but the innings that really matter are competitive innings. Pitchers mainly improve during practice, being challenged in games, and facing/seeing better pitchers. Quality over quantity innings. If your daughter is determined and works at it not concerning over getting 15 junk innings, vs 4-6 quality innings a tournament.
Depending on maturity 11 can be a tough year for pitchers as they grow. Do not focus on results, but on form. You might see struggles with consistency if they grow several inches. A new team and pressure may not be ideal but you should know if that is a problem at the time of tryouts.

May 13, 2023
Do coaches solely look at speed, number of pitches and placement?
Not every coach looks for the same elements. So that answer will vary pending coaches.
That said...
Those Are Things you can be looking at to determine part of her productivity.
For instance say Throw 50 pitches during a pitching bullpen.
Analyze the consistency of what you are doing. Aka how often is she throwing strikes & correctly throwing locations.
( if she can do that already) You could use a speed gun measurement. Then you can do that same thing when she goes and pitches in a game and see if the consistency is equivalent or what results you get.

As others have mentioned the competitive level of the teams you're playing matter because those hitters will either be undeveloped or more developed. You mentioned being a parent wearing goggles LOL good you recognize that! While wearing those 🙂 you will have to decide how much challenge you want to put your daughter in front of. There should always be some challenge!
That helps those who try= grow!

( to your other post about catcher dropping the ball... you are playing on a C level 11-year-old team, yep the catcher will likely drop the ball from time to time. Remember while you're looking at your daughter's consistency and pitching locations... let's say that might be 50%... The other 50% is challenging the catcher. And there are the times when the catcher is being challenged because there's a pitch coming in and a batter swinging. Swinging and missing is an element the catcher has to develop to handle)

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
I’m looking for feedback/insight from coaches on what pitching stats distinguish between an A level, B level, and C level pitching in 11/12U. This is my 11 y/o daughter’s first year/fall of travel and she’s starting out on a C team due to lack of experience, however she seems to be doing well stat-wise for 11U C level pitching in our area? Do coaches solely look at speed, number of pitches and placement? She’s been subbing this fall because her rostered team does not start until next week for the 2024 season. In 48 innings pitched, 93K, 50 BB 60% strike ratio, WHIP is 2.583, speed-wise she’s 45-48 (has hit 52.3 in lessons) throwing consistent strikes, she can place a pitch fairly well, she really only has two fastballs and a change-up. Her ERA is not good, but she’s been mostly subbing for a defensively weak team, lots of dropped 3rds and missed gimme outs at 1. She has pitched and subbed 14C and B. Does this put her in the C or B category for pitching at 11U? Should we be looking to play B level ball next season? I really have no frame of reference, I’m just a bucket mom that has never played any sport. I realize I look at her through mama glasses, but she works hard, wondering where we should be looking to place her for her to grow.
If she is 11 y/o I’d say velocity-wise she should be able to handle 11-12U B-level hitters no problem. If she was a seasoned pitcher I’d like to perhaps see fewer walks in that many innings but that seems very good being this is her first season. How did she do when she pitched against the 14U B team?

I’d say a pitcher who is dominating at the C level (mostly K’s) should move up to B, at minimum. C level here are your rec teams that sometimes play in travel tournaments. A good pitcher will not be challenged enough at the TB level in C.

My other question would be how does she handle fielding and hitting for herself at the C level? Like another poster mentioned, she’s too young to become a PO and only pitch (my personal opinion). Would she get opportunities to be a fielder and hitter on a higher level team?

Have you asked her PC what they think? I imagine they have pitchers playing all different levels so ask their opinion. They should be able be able to give you honest feedback on her ability.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles