11 year old swing tips and pointers (swing eval)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
Just remember sagital means if your in the batters box its your shoulder/legs facing pitcher and shoulder/legs facing catcher in orientation. At least that's how I always remember it.

Sep 17, 2009
Ask her what she believes the *purpose* of her load is. This will reveal her intent. My guess is she won't have a good answer, or any answer. It's just what she does. Then start there fresh. She needs a load that will allow her to gather slow and early, as many have already said. And one that prepares her to swing optimally by creating appropriate stretch or resistance. How to do that exactly will have you jumping down a DFP rabbit hole that you'll need to navigate yourself :)

But I think as others said she is rushing her load...try the above path to start working toward a better approach (btw, she looks ok, but the best way to get to great is to not band-aid what's not-quite-right but start with proper first principles, IMO). Best of luck!

May 21, 2018
My guess is she won't have a good answer, or any answer. It's just what she does.

No truer words have ever been spoken.

May 21, 2014
Another note on the head movement during load....when there is this much movement it typically means there is not a true loading of the back leg. I would try this.... have her not move her head (or extremely limited) during load. Make her load her bottom half and get the feel of that. Once that makes sense I would progress to stride out (or stretch or create separation) while hands work back or at least not moving forward. During stride head movement forward and down is ok. Once toe touch happens all head movement stops.
You can fix a lot by paying attention to what the head does during the progression of a swing. Starting slow and with purpose will help with creating better vision and in turn better attack.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
I'm going to jump into the fray and ask for some opinions and/or tips on DD's swing. Not the greatest video for
evaluating, but it's the best I have at this point. Honestly it's a video I made while trying to teach myself how to
make videos on my phone.

Anyway DD is 11 years old. First year 12u. Any advice would be helpful.

Kudos to DD and mom. Camera angles = from behind, straight down the inside corner = from in front of her, waist high. DD's swing - maybe 5 consecutive swings, then step out to breathe (relax) and clear the mind for the next set. She how she feels if her stride foot starts moving forward at the release point of the pitch. An old adage, if you're hillting fly balls you're late.

BigSkyHi

Jan 13, 2020
Men are built broad at the shoulders and narrow at the hips, women are built like an hour glass. Don't analyze the swings of 6'4" 230 lb males when you there is so much you can do with the like of a Sierra Romero and many others

Attachments

• Sierra Romero.jpeg
    Sierra Romero.jpeg
    147.9 KB · Views: 20
Oct 2, 2017
Men are built broad at the shoulders and narrow at the hips, women are built like an hour glass. Don't analyze the swings of 6'4" 230 lb males when you there is so much you can do with the like of a Sierra Romero and many others

Could not disagree more. Telling someone that is bad advice. We should analyze the swings of both men and women. The 230lb males are not the best in the world for nothing and the same applies to women also. They both in the top softball and top baseball use the same overall mechanics.

BigSkyHi

Jan 13, 2020
Could not disagree more. Telling someone that is bad advice. We should analyze the swings of both men and women. The 230lb males are not the best in the world for nothing and the same applies to women also. They both in the top softball and top baseball use the same overall mechanics.
[/QUOTE
I hear ya. I thought that way for decades until I found biomechanics. For example, women's bodies are less muscular, but their joints are more flexible, which gives them greater range of motion -- an advantage in sports such as gymnastics. The wider female pelvis also affects the alignment and movement of the extremities. Women are more prone to injuring joints such as the shoulders and knees. Weaker shoulder muscles and looser supporting tissues mean the joint is less stable than in men. For the fast pitch I just started studying the successful women mostly to help prevent biomechanical injury. Take care.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nabbott