11 year old swing tips and pointers (swing eval)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Could not disagree more. Telling someone that is bad advice. We should analyze the swings of both men and women. The 230lb males are not the best in the world for nothing and the same applies to women also. They both in the top softball and top baseball use the same overall mechanics.

I think there is a middle ground here.
Attempting to get 8 or 9 year old girls to behave like Barry Bonds (hands pumping, hitting off back foot/ one legged and taking massive amount of steroids) is probably not a good idea. I like what Joey Myers says about hitters. Let examine the little guys OR girls that hit bombs.
Romero could rake but but some would say her swing is not HL or elite. I think she is pretty good! Notice that she stays inside the ball and never hooks one. Impressive.

Sep 29, 2014
This has been discussed a lot on the forums and I don't think there is any way around the fact that the mechanics of a good swing are universal. I do think however because of upper body strength difference the margin for error is greater for men but bigger and stronger women too. I also think a big factor that is overlooked a lot not about the swing but about what whats specifically at contact is effected more by angle the ball travels from the pitcher to the batter. There are proper mechanics in golf or tennis same thing that isn't to say you can't make a small adjustment given your body type but the basics are the basics period.

Oct 2, 2017
I think there is a middle ground here.
Attempting to get 8 or 9 year old girls to behave like Barry Bonds (hands pumping, hitting off back foot/ one legged and taking massive amount of steroids) is probably not a good idea. I like what Joey Myers says about hitters. Let examine the little guys OR girls that hit bombs.
Romero could rake but but some would say her swing is not HL or elite. I think she is pretty good! Notice that she stays inside the ball and never hooks one. Impressive.

I agree. I'm not saying to make a 8 - 9 yr behave like Bonds or any other player in the MLB. Heck take it even further your not going to have a 8-9 yr old behaving like Romero either. I'm simply talking about what constitutes good mechanics overall. What constitutes good mechanics is what the whole point of analyzing the top players of both men and women are all about.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Kudos to DD and mom. Camera angles = from behind, straight down the inside corner = from in front of her, waist high. DD's swing - maybe 5 consecutive swings, then step out to breathe (relax) and clear the mind for the next set. She how she feels if her stride foot starts moving forward at the release point of the pitch. An old adage, if you're hillting fly balls you're late.

Actually if you’re hitting ground balls most of the time you are late, Teddy ballgames words.. It really isn’t that simple though.
Depends on bat angle at launch, intent, mechanics etc. a more vertical bat at launch connotes a higher flyball on outside pitches and lower line drives on pull side pitches. Really a subject that is much deeper, and at this time I wish not to explore. :)

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
50% physical and 90% mental - just gotta love it :cool: - thanks all - I am still studying hard

Sep 29, 2014
Sorry didn't read the post carefully here you go. Now you can nit pick away on degrees, a little more of this here, a little less here, but you are basically just looking at a reverse image of the same basic swing and honestly you can do this almost all day with almost any elite swing you simply are going to find it hard to be an elite hitter if you don't have good mechanics and good mechanics don't change they simply are.

martbonds4pack.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45