11 Year old dd swings.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2013
11 Year old dd swings. analyze please!!!! with video

Just need some general help, daughter have trouble pulling head sometimes, and mainly pounding the ball in front of the plate. I don't want this getting into a pissing contest with people fighting in this thread just people giving advice and drills to help. Thanks guys and I know the swing is not too good.

Hylan hitting 2 - YouTube

Hylan hitting - YouTube

Last edited:
May 29, 2013
That's not too shabby. I would work on weight transfer and something that emphasizes hip rotation first. She does step out a bit, but other than that she has pretty good balance and it looks like she's smiling. Keep it fun dad.

May 13, 2013
thanks stand an, got any ideas for weight transfer. would the so called kirby pucket drill help with weight transfer.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
There are a couple of real basic things you can do to get this moving in the right direction.

1) She sets up with her rear foot pointing a little toward the catcher. This inhibits the rear hip from being able to turn an fire into the swing. have her set up with both feet more at a right angle to the inside line of the batters box.
2) She drops her bat right after she initiates the swing. If you can get her to start turning the barrel first (if you do a search on the forum you will get many examples of what this means) then she will have a swing is more powerful, that can react better to faster pitching, and is more adjustable to changes on the fly.
3) She looks like she wants to fire that hip but the rear foot being misaligned at setup and being too firmly planted is inhibiting it from really flowing though the swing. It starts then abruptly stops. If you can give her the feeling of getting her weight that is on her rear foot onto the upper inside ball of her foot when she initiates the swing then It should be able to come through with her hips and stop restricting the motion.

As you have seen, the hitting feedback can get quite technical and there are several experts out there who claim there is only one way to do things. It is easy to get lost or confused. I suggest keeping it simple, fixing the major issues (low hanging fruit) while you absorb as much as you can and experiment with your swing. This should buy you enough time to get comfortable with the next round of improvements and make educated decisions about what you want to work on next and how to approach it. Most importantly, keep that smile on her face.

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
Really? You got some great advice and your thread isn't all cluttered up with images posted by bored house husbands...
You should consider yourself lucky. Did you try the drill above? Do you not like it?

May 13, 2013
thanks guys, I didnt notice her back foot during filming but we have been working on that actually. she tooks a few lessons from amy shaw who played at auburn and thats one thing she pointed out right away is the back foot. she said she is losing power there. so we have been working on that. I see alot of people talking about turning the barrell and have yet to quite figure that out and how to teach her that. also tom I have worked with her on the drill about seemed to.help and ill continue to.do that with her.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Pujols-Behind-Bat-Lag-432x480.gif

Pujols-Behind-Bat-Lag-432x480-Barrel-Back.gif

Pujols-Behind-Bat-Lag-432x480-Short-Swing.gif

Pujols-Albert-2012-05-22-HR-LC-Side-Bat-Path.gif

Here is something I grabbed from another hitting thread. The barrel turn refers to that first motion of the bat, see how it goes from the upright position and gets turned down into the bottom of the swing path? No dropping of the bat behind the shoulder? Compare it to your DDs swing and you will see the difference. That bat drop is really common and I have a daughter that has a bad case of it myself. There is also a really good free software called Kinovea that will allow you to go frame by frame through your clips, very useful for seeing the subtle things you can't catch with the naked eye.

May 13, 2013
thanks squeeze, i have an app called coaches eye that does the same thing as kinovea. ill do some more research on the barrel turning. is there certain drills that focus on this.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma