11 Year old dd swings.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Barrel turn is a really simple concept but I am finding it hard to get through to my DD. The drills we are doing are just T work and dry swings with me observing and correcting. So far she can get the barrel turned as long a there is not a ball in the air. Once the ball is live she will drop the barrel while sizing up the pitch. she was able to understand and get it with the T almost instantly, she is just struggling getting it into live pitching. We have only been working on it for a couple of weeks and to be honest, not very hard because she is also a pitcher and a catcher (don't ask) so we have to work on those skills as well. Maybe someone with more expertise can recommend some specific drills to promote barrel turning. Hopefully the wolf pack will realize that this 11 year old can use some good info and will descend en masse to flood you with good info.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Barrel turn is a really simple concept but I am finding it hard to get through to my DD. The drills we are doing are just T work and dry swings with me observing and correcting. So far she can get the barrel turned as long a there is not a ball in the air. Once the ball is live she will drop the barrel while sizing up the pitch. she was able to understand and get it with the T almost instantly, she is just struggling getting it into live pitching. We have only been working on it for a couple of weeks and to be honest, not very hard because she is also a pitcher and a catcher (don't ask) so we have to work on those skills as well. Maybe someone with more expertise can recommend some specific drills to promote barrel turning. Hopefully the wolf pack will realize that this 11 year old can use some good info and will descend en masse to flood you with good info.

Honestly, introducing the concept via tee work is fine ... but what you are dealing with needs to be worked on with a ball coming towards your hitter. You described it perfectly ... "Once the ball is live she will drop the barrel while sizing up the pitch". Basically, she is 'leveling' while "reading the pitch" ... and all the tee-work in the world isn't going to correct that. The instinct to 'level' during the "reading of the pitch" isn't present when there is no pitched ball coming at you.

Have someone throw head-on soft-toss while you stand beside your daughter and give her feedback. You are working on a sequence issue ... and for that, you'll want to introduce a pitched ball.

May 24, 2013
So Cal

This drill (also referred to as the "kick" or "knee-up" drill) was very effective for teaching my DD how to drive her rear side. I'm currently using it with some of my DD's 10U teammates with good success.

In my experience, this drill combines well with the "Happy Gilmore/Walk-Through" drill to establish the proper feel of striding and driving the rear side.

Last edited:
May 29, 2013
I tried this with my dd, get her back foot planted up against a wall, fence or garage door. Soft toss to her. She will get immediate feedback when she hits the object behind her. People that drop their hands tend to do that first. Once she sequences correctly it's ok to drop the hands to meet the plane of the pitch. Palm up punch the pitcher in the gut.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Sorry, another example of barrel to the ball and not the hands.
Cabrera_FB_highside_sync.gif

I like gifs.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
thanks guys, I didnt notice her back foot during filming but we have been working on that actually. she tooks a few lessons from amy shaw who played at auburn and thats one thing she pointed out right away is the back foot. she said she is losing power there. so we have been working on that. I see alot of people talking about turning the barrell and have yet to quite figure that out and how to teach her that. also tom I have worked with her on the drill about seemed to.help and ill continue to.do that with her.

One of my friends at another site gave me some grief for posting that video. Sometimes we forget there are some who are just starting out, and may not see things, or understand the high level language we've created for ourselves.... You're DD needs to get her backside into the sequence.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Now your( SB look) worried about Rich? A joke. I 'throw out' /post alot of gifs to see what may click with a dad. This site is alittle different. We are just dads with DD's. Don't worry about what you post. Different gifs and video's click for different dads.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2009
One of my friends at another site gave me some grief for posting that video. Sometimes we forget there are some who are just starting out, and may not see things, or understand the high level language we've created for ourselves.... You're DD needs to get her backside into the sequence.

"Your"

:)

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Darn your right again. Did I tell you english is not my native tonue? I was born in Philly.:p

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma