11 Year old dd swings.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
that's why I call the drill above, "the take drill"

I deal with so many girls moving up in competition, to girls throwing smoke.
they have been taught to step towards the outside pitch, and open on the inside pitch, therefore ALWAYS LATE.
So I teach that they must get to the position in the video on every pitch.

The drill also serves so many more purposes, such as laying the barrel back.

What is your approach to getting to contact? What happens after laying the barrel back?

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Turning the barrel is about active hands. You can keep the barrel up, then turn the barrel through contact. If a student/child is laying the barrel back, they are not being taught correctly. Saying "turn the barrel" then walk away, doesn't cut it. Learn how to do it, then show them. Hell...I only use the words "turn the barrel" with my own kids and one other. Every other kid I say things like "get quick to the zone...get to the ball from behind...get your barrel behind your rear hip...use your hands, don't drag the bat with dead hands...use your hands....use your hands....use your hands..." But most importantly show them...it is not a difficult concept.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
What is your approach to getting to contact? What happens after laying the barrel back?

SEE EDIT.

My approach in getting to contact is simple.

Tilt and tom o hock. carve and fillet. serve the pizza.

The carve of "carve and fillet", can be accomplished by the scrunch of the back muscles and the wrists, the elbow will drop.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma