“Stay Tall”

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2018
The problem is not enough resistance on the stride leg. Look at how much her left knee is bent. Then take a look at Rachel Garcia or Cat Osterman at roughly the same points in their respective releases:

rachel-garcia.jpgosterman-release.jpg

As hummingbird suggested, a good drill is to have your daughter practice her drive mechanics without a ball. Just practice the takeoff and landing, and focus on pushing back with the stride leg to force the upper body into an upright position at release. She's probably not getting any brush with that lean, if she can make it work you should see an immediate improvement in location and velocity.

Oct 11, 2019
This is a very common problem with newer pitchers, even experienced so don't feel bad. I think it's a natural instinct for a young girl to want to lean forward after the pitch, perhaps in an attempt to aim it in after she releases it. Think about those carnival games where you throw the ring into the milk jug.. everyone leans in that game :)

My DD had the hardest time with this. Literally worked on it the entire summer, fall, and winter. She's now finally started to stay back.
Tried everything. Ultimately, I think what worked is doing pitching without a ball. For some reason, if she didn't have the ball in her hand, she'd stop leaning forward. I kept having her pitch without the ball and eventually, she stopped leaning. As soon as I put the ball in her hand, the lean comes back. I'd go back and forth with ball, no ball, ball no ball.
Also, we took about a month off of pitching this January, and I think that also helped shake off some habits.

This may not work for you, so there are other techniques that I've tried that may work. For example, try having her pitch down a slight slope.
Tell her to keep her nose back. Chin up! Drill it into her that the legs will carry the body and the head forward, let the stride leg lead, not your face.
Also as the other member mentioned, try doing some exaggerations.. like literally leaning back to see if that helps.
Overall, I'd say be patient. I know it seems like it won't stop, but it will, trust me. Just keep at it.
I honestly thought my DD would never stop leaning, we never worked so hard and long at one thing before and finally I think it's stopped...
Great info and thanks for sharing your experience.

Oct 11, 2019
No offense, but if it's been a year with a PC and they haven't addressed/resolved that issue yet then maybe you should look for a different PC. Not saying the one you're seeing isn't good but maybe they just aren't getting through to your DD. Sometimes a different person explaining the same concepts in a different way is all that it takes.
I have thought the same. Even explored openings at various other coaches in Houston. As with all decisions like this, it’s complicated.

Dec 22, 2019
Has she ever played “the floor is lava?” That’s the cue that clicked with my daughter about getting some front side resistance...act that dirt is HOT on the ball of your foot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 11, 2019
The problem is not enough resistance on the stride leg. Look at how much her left knee is bent. Then take a look at Rachel Garcia or Cat Osterman at roughly the same points in their respective releases:

View attachment 16547View attachment 16548

As hummingbird suggested, a good drill is to have your daughter practice her drive mechanics without a ball. Just practice the takeoff and landing, and focus on pushing back with the stride leg to force the upper body into an upright position at release. She's probably not getting any brush with that lean, if she can make it work you should see an immediate improvement in location and velocity.
Yes sir, I see that with the front side. That may be one of the bigger things I could get her to focus on in the short term, along with some of the other good suggestions shared in this thread.

Oct 11, 2019
Has she ever played “the floor is lava?” That’s the cue that clicked with my daughter about getting some front side resistance...act that dirt is HOT on the ball of your foot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not exactly, but when we isolate and have her deliver on one leg with upright positions, everything looks good, arm comes around, good balance, etc. something about that ball in hand and full pitch just goes back to the old habits.

Sep 29, 2014
I do think drive practice is a great idea just make sure she does not over exaggerate and land with a straight leg we want her to land slightly flexed then come up "tall" as the front side resists she will be very suseptible to injury if she lands with a straight leg. Another thing I would focus on is straight as well...I usually use the two cues together straight and tall, straight might help her stop lean towards third and she also needs to focus on not fearing brush so she stops pitching around her body and compensating by getting her hips out of the way.

p.s. unfortunately as another poster said even if the relationship is great she needs a new pitching instructor if they haven't address this in over a year...it's simply poor mechanics and should be instructors top priority getting mechanics right

Aug 2, 2019
Another thing that happens when my DD is getting in this position, is that when her stride foot hits the ground, the ball hasn't reached 12:00 yet. More like 1:00. That means her arm is so far behind the rest of the body it feels like it should keep going until the arm catches up. Making sure she is getting to 10-11:00 when the stride foot hits the ground helps too. Telling her to lean back gets her in the right position without her having to think about it.

Oct 11, 2019
Another thing that happens when my DD is getting in this position, is that when her stride foot hits the ground, the ball hasn't reached 12:00 yet. More like 1:00. That means her arm is so far behind the rest of the body it feels like it should keep going until the arm catches up. Making sure she is getting to 10-11:00 when the stride foot hits the ground helps too. Telling her to lean back gets her in the right position without her having to think about it.
This has been discussed at lessons. Good reminder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi