First year 10U Pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2017
I understand she may have to tweak her wind up some more as she gets older sees better hitters who may be able to read her pitches from her wind up but the changes made this winter seem to be working.

I know it’s still a work in progress (as everyone has expressed it’s a marathon and not a sprint) and need to put in the work and glad nice weather is here to get outside and practice more.

I have also learned a bit about myself through all this and understand the need to let her do her thing and make in inning/in game adjustments without me in her ear. I was a nervous wreck last year as her first time out and realized I was prob complicating things for her. I tell her when we practice but during the game I and most likely to mention something between innings if I see something. That too is still a work in progress for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My DD is 14u and pitching since 2nd yr 8u. And I couldn’t count the number of changes in her wind up over the years. It seems like most things of you make a change to fix one issue then a new one will form.

Putting the work in is the main thing. But I don’t believe in the 100 pitches a day that some believe in. When try to have goals or decide what we are going to work on and do. Sometimes at that age we could get there in 30 min. And sometimes we would spend an hour and a half or more. Don’t be afraid to try different approaches to find what works best for her.

As they get older the hands off approach during games is important to me. We try to work with her catchers at lessons so they can learn the movements and what to be looking for or remind her during a game. At the younger ages it is harder because bad mechanics in 1 inning I swear can take weeks to correct. Never try to talk to them pitch to pitch but don’t just allow flaws for multiple innings. There is a fine line there between hovering too much and not enough. It sounds like you have a good PC and team coach that are letting her develop and not just be a strike throwing robot. It’s still a long road ahead of her. I didn’t want to be a pitchers dad and most of the time I’m still not a fan of it but I wouldn’t trade it for anything else either.

Jul 27, 2020
My DD is 14u and pitching since 2nd yr 8u. And I couldn’t count the number of changes in her wind up over the years. It seems like most things of you make a change to fix one issue then a new one will form.

Putting the work in is the main thing. But I don’t believe in the 100 pitches a day that some believe in. When try to have goals or decide what we are going to work on and do. Sometimes at that age we could get there in 30 min. And sometimes we would spend an hour and a half or more. Don’t be afraid to try different approaches to find what works best for her.

As they get older the hands off approach during games is important to me. We try to work with her catchers at lessons so they can learn the movements and what to be looking for or remind her during a game. At the younger ages it is harder because bad mechanics in 1 inning I swear can take weeks to correct. Never try to talk to them pitch to pitch but don’t just allow flaws for multiple innings. There is a fine line there between hovering too much and not enough. It sounds like you have a good PC and team coach that are letting her develop and not just be a strike throwing robot. It’s still a long road ahead of her. I didn’t want to be a pitchers dad and most of the time I’m still not a fan of it but I wouldn’t trade it for anything else either.

I can definitely see how a change in wind up can fix one issue and another appear. Once you think you have something figured out another thing pops up. Recently it has been her not standing tall and not sure if it has anything to do with her trying to throw harder.

When we started this venture, her PC coach emphasized throwing hard and still has to remind her to throw hard (she can be lackadaisical at times). I think she tries to throw hard and loses a little focus us the rest of her mechanics and tries to overthrow.

Her coach has given her the opportunity to pitch without a short leash. He knows her personality and she is quiet, yet doesn’t get rattled much and he is learning how to handle her mindset.

As time goes on, I’m sure her catchers will learn her nuances and able to help her out or remind her when something is off. Right now, it’s just dad (unfortunately for her) and eventually if she sticks with it, she’ll come to me.

I also agree, it’s a blessing and curse being a pitchers dad. Hard to watch at times but when it all comes together it’s a huge relief.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802