First year 10U Pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 27, 2020
Hey All,

My DD just started pitching this year for her 10u travel team. She took some team/group lessons last winter and she enjoyed it and wanted to continue with it. Fast forward through Covid, her season picked up in late summer and prior to the season picking up we got her private lessons. I didn’t think she would be ready to pitch this season and wanted her to continue with private lessons to prepare for next spring but she was eager and asked her coach if she could pitch. She threw on the side for him and decided to let her pitch.

She has been taking lessons for only about three months and making strides and has pitched in games (as #3). She has ups and downs and doesn’t get too high or too low when she’s out there but her biggest issue right now is control.

She does put in the work at home outside of the lessons (even if I have to ask her to practice). I can tell pitching takes a lot of work but trying to get an idea how long it takes to get her control down. I know it’s an odd question and no straightforward answer but looking for a general idea. After 3 months I don’t know where she should be.

I think she has made improvements and at one point asked her coach if she had “it” and if we had something and should continue. He said she did (I don’t think he’s just saying that and pulling my leg and just by seeing some of the results with my DD, I think she’s capable) and we’ve seen improvement and we are continuing with the lessons. I like her pitching coach and he emphasizes drive and speed and and says accuracy will come.

Also, in terms of winter workouts, we are in the Northeast and currently don’t have a facility available to throw at. My house has limited space and wanted to see if anyone has a set up to practice mechanics in limited spaces or what drills they use.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 19, 2018
My dd started as a 8U playing 10U Rec. Like you we did a few group lessons before the season then two private at the end. Before next season Rec (9yo) we got in 3 months of lessons before the season started.

I can tell you she walked 2 batters the first inning she pitched each game. She'd have a few really good innings then totally lose it and walk 5 in an inning. She pitched 33 innings and had something like 65 walks +HBP. to be fair she had 90Ks and any ball not hit to her was an automatic hit. So she had to work but still 2 walks per inning is not great.

This year, she got 6 consistent months of Lessons before play started. As 2nd year 10U (travel ball), she pitched about 40 something innings and walked just about 20. So there was a HUGE jump in the year.

It took her 4 -12u tournaments to take the next step and start actually pitching. Location, change ups, pitch around a better, etc... In 10U she rarely needed to do anything but throw hard.

Jun 23, 2018
Texas
It is a marathon. Lots and lots of patience. It will happen......eventually. Took DD at least a year before she really became somewhat effective with hitting spots, not just throwing meatballs for strikes.
The tarp suggestion above is a great idea. In Texas we don't have the same weather, but I have a setup for DD to pitch into a tarp in the front yard. Beats sitting on a bucket and chasing balls when you're just working on mechanics. Could be done in a garage or basement easily.

Nov 4, 2015
It will be the best of time, it will be the worst of times..... RUN!!!! Just kidding, but do not expect fast or consistent improvement. My DD has been pitching since she first turned 10. 15 now. It is a roller coaster the likes of which you have never seen. (At least in our case). My DD is pretty consistent, but she has recently walked 9 on a Monday and only threw 9 balls during a 5 inning game 2 days later. Same kid. Same balls. Only difference was the field. It truly is a double edged sword. You work on technique and dont worry about the results to get better. The rub is that you don't get much game time if you can't throw strikes. Patience and Ice Cream go a long way!! Good Luck! Make sure she is having fun and NEVER tell her to "just throw strikes".

Sep 19, 2018
Beats sitting on a bucket and chasing balls when you're just working on mechanics. Could be done in a garage or basement easily.
I think that using a tarp at a close distance is really important when learning new....techniques. It allows the pitcher to let go of throwing strikes. Focus on the technique they are being asked to perform.

Jan 14, 2020
My DD is a year in and I would make sure her mechanics are proper and the rest will come. Like @cnardone mentioned a tarp and let her go. Good luck, it's a blast!

Jan 28, 2017
DD is 14 and she helps me give lessons to 10 year olds. Yesterday, she was telling them how important it is to throw hard and not worry about strikes. Try to stay in your form and do your handwork but throw hard. I started laughing. To the girls- I didn’t really do that.

Last edited:
May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
When I take on a new student who has little or no experience I always tell the parents that control is the last thing to develop. Even with good mechanics you need a lot of repetitions to develop the fine motor control necessary for consistent strike throwing. If you can't set up a spot to throw into a tarp then ball up a couple of pairs of socks and have her pitch them down a hallway against a door or to you. I had several young pitchers that did this almost as a gag and it ended up helping them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying