Wow, Pitcher intentionally hits a batter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 15, 2011
FL
Some serious speculation. The one point I really liked was the difference between baseball and softball. Why do they think our girls cannot stand up to others? I personally do not like the Intentional. I do however LOVE the inside just a little off the plate pitch as a set up to keep the girl honest and the curve ball effective. Sometimes it breaks to much. I never want to see anyone on base for free, so I encourage my dd to try not to hit anyone.

Man that link was loaded with assumptions. I see where the drama moves to in college ball!

Jul 26, 2010
That's a lot of speculation.

Even if it is true, and she did hit the batter intentionally, it may have been a call by the coach or the catcher for her to do so. I don't like that people are so quick to demonize the kid.

Anyone have video of the game? I'd like to see what a top 10 pitcher "intentionally hitting" a batter looks like so I can learn to spot this and discern it from any other pitch.

-W

coachtucc

Banned
May 7, 2008
A, A
why is everyone so shocked?? What happened before to make someone think it was intentional?? If it was, was it deserved (running up the score or stealing when up by a lot of runs {10 or more}???

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
why is everyone so shocked?? What happened before to make someone think it was intentional?? If it was, was it deserved (running up the score or stealing when up by a lot of runs {10 or more}???

I'm very surprised, as a coach, that you would condone this kind of behavior to intentionally throw a fastball to hit a batter. I cannot think of a good reason why someone would do this in any sport. Let's teach these young women to play the game with class and dignity. This whole idea to intentionally throw a fastball at a batter because they might have hit a homerun or run up the score against a team is potentially dangerous, completely absurd, and bush league. Teach your players how to play better defense not produce HBPs.

May 26, 2010
Central NJ
When I played sandlot ball as a kid, no one would intentionally hit a batter because the batter would come after them with the bat. I understand it's not appropriate for college softball, but it was a good check and balance in the neighborhood.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
There is very little being said officially about this, because I "think" that it was a discipline problem that the coach handled. Also, I "think" that she hit someone with the first pitch because her teammate had been hit.

I never condone hitting a girl with a pitch. I really don't like it in MLB, either.

It is hard to say, much about it without knowing more. With girls it could have been something said in H.S., for all we know. j/k (I think.)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32