Wow, Pitcher intentionally hits a batter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
I don't know how anyone can say she intentionally hit the batter unless she admits it herself. Batters all have different styles of hitting. When I played, if the batter was 'diving in' looking for an outside pitch, common sense was to throw it inside to make them stop. On occasion the batter dove in, and the pitch was inside off the plate and guess what, they got hit. Was it intentional? Depends on which team you were on.

Say what you want about right or wrong to intentionally hit a batter, I'll bet next time Barnhill pitches against FL, she'll be a little nervous working the inside corner.

Jul 26, 2010
When I played BB in HS if our pitcher was beaned, it was "socially acceptable" and in fact "expected" that our pitcher bean him back at the next at bat. I know I've read articles by Reggie Jackson and Nolan Ryan that echo this philosophy in the MLB (at least in their day).

I'm wondering if the FL pitcher was hit, and this was retaliation for that? Is that why they think it's intentional? There's really too much internet armchair opinions going on from whatever I can read about this, and very little facts.

-W

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
When I played BB in HS if our pitcher was beaned, it was "socially acceptable" and in fact "expected" that our pitcher bean him back at the next at bat. I know I've read articles by Reggie Jackson and Nolan Ryan that echo this philosophy in the MLB (at least in their day).

I'm wondering if the FL pitcher was hit, and this was retaliation for that? Is that why they think it's intentional?
There's really too much internet armchair opinions going on from whatever I can read about this, and very little facts.

-W

I have been trying to figure that out from the line score posted by screwball. It shows Gammel being hit by Barnhill, and Barnhill being hit by Rogers. But it is not clear how it could have happened in that order as Gammel is shown to have gotten the save in relief of Rogers. But if it wasn't in that order Barnhill would be the one accused of retaliation. :confused:

coachtucc

Banned
May 7, 2008
A, A
I'm very surprised, as a coach, that you would condone this kind of behavior to intentionally throw a fastball to hit a batter. I cannot think of a good reason why someone would do this in any sport. Let's teach these young women to play the game with class and dignity. This whole idea to intentionally throw a fastball at a batter because they might have hit a homerun or run up the score against a team is potentially dangerous, completely absurd, and bush league. Teach your players how to play better defense not produce HBPs.

Where did I say I condoned it?? I'm just saying that some coaches, (ddin't say me) would do it!! I have NEVER HAD SOMEONE HIT SOMEONE INTENTIOANLLY!! I was just saying that some coaches might do it if they perceived those situations!!

Jul 28, 2008
I talked to a coach that had a top 10 nationally ranked team during the 90's. He said he had a pitcher who would plunk a batter, rather than walk her intentionally. She stated it only wasted one pitch and it was a dead ball. Nobody could advance. I now coach that pitcher's daughter.

On a side note, we face a big hitter this weekend. I told my daughter to pitch her up and in. Since my DD is 11 and doesn't have the best control, she ended up hitting her on the first pitch. When my kid came in, she asked, "was that far enough inside?" I did tell her it was a bit too far inside and try not to hit her next time, please.

May 26, 2010
Central NJ
On a side note, we face a big hitter this weekend. I told my daughter to pitch her up and in. Since my DD is 11 and doesn't have the best control, she ended up hitting her on the first pitch. When my kid came in, she asked, "was that far enough inside?" I did tell her it was a bit too far inside and try not to hit her next time, please.

Since your DD is only 11 and doesn't have the best control by your own admission, I would not tell her to pitch up and in on anyone. If she gets a reputation of being a "dirty" player, she'll be on every team's "hunting" list. Not a position I would want to put my DD in.

Oct 18, 2009
While maybe its not appropriate in the youth game; I really don't have an issue with women at the college level and up sending messages to the other team to be careful about hitting their batters or to not do the special dance as they round 3B on a HR; etc. Eventually it controls itself. When one team knows that you won't just sit there and take it; they get more careful.

Nov 29, 2009
While my daughter was playing college I saw a message sent only once. The opposing team's 1B was a dirty player. What she would do on a pick-off attempt from the catcher is intentionally slap the base runner in the head with ball in her glove hard when she knew the runner beat the throw with a dive back to the base. After the 3rd time the players took the matter into their own hands because the umpires refused to do anything. During her next at bat she wasn't hit but she was knocked down on three straight pitches. Then she was struck out on the next three pitches. The last pitch was the best. It was an inside change and it had her starting to bail.

Feb 17, 2011
Since your DD is only 11 and doesn't have the best control by your own admission, I would not tell her to pitch up and in on anyone. If she gets a reputation of being a "dirty" player, she'll be on every team's "hunting" list. Not a position I would want to put my DD in.

my DD is an inside pitcher and hit batters come with the territory, doesnt faze her at all. If the batters are crowding the plate to get after her curve ball the coach and or catcher will give her the brush back signal and brush them back she does. I do not see it as being dirty and as a pitchers father i would rather have the coach and catcher protect the plate for her as batters who do not respect the batters box and get right on the plate often put the pitcher is danger of being hit by a batted ball. Working the pitches in and out is required so the batters do not get to comfortable. DD has been hit by pitches in the past and im sure it will happen in the future part of the game, and i know she has leaned in on a couple for a free ticket to first big deal.

Jul 9, 2010
The funny thing about this thread is how many posters are shocked or outraged that this happens. I presume it to be the parents of younger players. After you have been around this for awhile, you know that it comes with the territory. I don't like it, or condone it, but it happens. There are plenty of pitchers out there who take it upon themselves to be the self-annoited morality and sportsmanship police, and willl hit a player who they think does not conform. Of course, they are the first ones to lose their minds when it happens to them or a teammate.

I will say, I don't take this lightly - batters can be seriously injured, and I have witnessed it. In fact, I hate it when an opposing pitcher hits one of my players, but I have seen all sorts of circumstances when it happens.

We had one game where we learned the other team struggled with bunts. We bunted safely 4 times in a row, and the pitcher started to hit every batter that squared after that. After about 4 runs, the other coach pulled her.

One game, we had a tough play at the plate (our player collided with their catcher - their catcher was called for obstruction). My DD was the next batter (she hits righty), and the lefty college pitcher hit between the shoulder blades with a 60 mph FB. She was down for awhile. There was no excuse for that - she wasn't even a part of the play. And, just to make sure we knew it was intentional, the 2nd baseman high fived her after the pitch, while my DD was gasping for air at home plate.

On one team my DD was on (I was in the dugout keeping score), the other team's SS was phenomenal, and was absolutely killing us. My DD was pitching, and the other pitchers told her to hit the girl when she came up. She refused, and they were mad at her. Later, after a pitching change, one of the other pitchers nailed her in the back. Her only crime was being good.

Fortunately, these are very isolated and small incidents, but they happen. Unless the coach takes action, like should have happened, but didn't, in all of the above circumstances, it will keep happening.

I had a pitcher hit a player in a game, and I pulled her and sat her the next game. She got the message. It's up to the coach to set the parameters for fair play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck