Whos the best?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Left Hook

Banned
Sep 13, 2013
Hudgens is horrible, and Epstein played in the MLB. Tewks eBook is lacking, IMO. The proprietor of HI is often caustic, but I try to divorce the information from the personality. Yeager teaches Shift THEN swing.

If you have to go with one of the "big names," go with Epstein. Otherwise, I would recommend at least listening to what Richard has to say. You'd have nothing to lose, even if the moves make no sense in the context of human body movement.

This is very close to my opinion as well.. watch it.FFS is gonna ask you why Tewks is lacking and why Hudens is terrible. What is it about Hudgens you don't like? My friend is aHudens disciple and his daughter is very linear.. he also teaches a very linear swing... I'm assuming Hudgens doesn't teach that as he did teach in MLB ???

Left Hook

Banned
Sep 13, 2013
hittingillustrated.com/HI? All I see is a bunch of broken links, dead links, and a mention of a forum that costs $25. Is there any free material to learn what the approach is about?

Its about this exactly... you post your daughter or son... he takes it and does swing analysis.... I have seen guys ask one simple question then he calls them an idiot... then he uses your kids video to blast you... And says how sorry your kid is and how great he is... Then on top of that he wants over 200 bucks to be on the message board.. Great deal. And this is exactly what happens

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2009
I started out with DD going to local coaches from HS and was not seeing any improvement or any coaching that I thought would give her a opportunity to improve.

Then we attended some classes with Beth Keylon-Randolph (coach at Chattanooga State) and began to see improvement, DD attended clinics with Ralph Weekly (TN Vols), Frank Reed (UTC), Gerry Glasco (GA Bulldogs) and Pat Murphy (UA Tide). Pat Murphy IMO was the best hitting coach out of that group of college coaches, he is dedicated to improving his teaching methods and has the hitting process down.

I purchased the Mike Epstein tapes, and DD and I worked from the tapes and did not see much improvement and it could have been as much from DD and I and maybe not the tapes as we were both in the learning process.

Then I started reading the post from Howard Carrier on this forum and attended A Bustos Clinic( I also had the pleasure of watching Howard work with DD a few days), both IMO had the hitting process in simple easy steps, understandable and covered the entire hitting process. Both are down to earth and take the time to explain how and why. They take hitting to a high level, yet can explain the process so a beginning player can comprehend and began working on the proper mechanics in a short time.

I always try and soak up as much information as I can from Howard, Bustos and any of Howards followers. :cool:

I can’t comment on many of the people you referenced, because I have little or no experience on their methods. I only can tell you of my personal experience. :cool:

Left Hook

Banned
Sep 13, 2013
I have heard everything from A to Z about Howard.. Our friend at HI always calls Howard an idiot also... but I guess you haven't made it until Richard at HI calls you an idiot. I have heard Howard is mean to kids many many times.. But I don't see how that can possibly be true as from what I understand he does all his work for free? So I'd have to believe he just does this for free just to be mean? I highly doubt that.. But it is strange that do many have said it. Maybe parents are used to the rec ball attitude?? I will say I personally met Howard at a restraunt when I was with my daughter... She plays on a well respected select team and he was as nice as could be. I was amazed at hire much he knows and who he knew. He gave me his number... I blew it off because I had no clue who he was back then. But he was very nice and told me call him sometime. Not sure what he teaches but he is with Bustos is he not? Pretty good endorsement there. Don't know how much of what she does is from a good swing though? I hear she kills it!

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
I prefer Howard's information, Tewk's e-book and Don Slaught's information. I have learned most of my hitting knowledge from Mike Candrea. He has forgotten more than I will ever know.

The first thing to know about hitting, is proper throwing. I am learning about that from Wasserman and Jaeger.

Jan 13, 2012
This is very close to my opinion as well.. watch it.FFS is gonna ask you why Tewks is lacking and why Hudens is terrible. What is it about Hudgens you don't like? My friend is aHudens disciple and his daughter is very linear.. he also teaches a very linear swing... I'm assuming Hudgens doesn't teach that as he did teach in MLB ???

Tewks is lacking because I feel that the eBook could include more video of the drills being performed, rather than the explanations of the drills. Personally, I'd like to have seen stuff like GO! Drill A performed.

Hudgens is extremely linear, thought I have no idea what he taught when he was in the MLB. Oftentimes, MLB instructors teach what they were taught. My biggest issue with Hudgens is that literally NOTHING he appears to teach is in MLB video. Now, my opinion is based on articles of his, but I'm still wary of his material.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
Got a look at the HI blog, I think the question has been answered: Richard is the best. And not by a little, by a lot, because everyone else is an idiot.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
LH, Richard’s demeanor isn’t meant to be mean, so much as to provide a filter. He believes that in the long run that his approach is more “nice” than “mean”. He’d rather bluntly, and honestly, explain to a kid where they need to improve. He considers it cowardly when an instructor “babysits”, attempts to dress up a glaring pimple, and sends the kid onto the battle field where they will fail when the instructor is not around.

Read that description again. Almost sounds like the description you tried to paint of yourself when someone cautioned you about your behavior towards your daughter being abusive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1