Where should you hit the ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
What I have seen quite a few times now is MLB hitters who describe and demonstrate their swing in a way that does not match what they actually did/do in a game. IMO, this has largely to do with their intent and internal feels when layered on what their body has been programmed to do.

One of the best descriptions I've seen, that closely matches his game swing, is Donaldson.

Looks like JD has flattened his swing out some.. I wonder if he wishes he would have kept his trap shut on trying to elevate pitches.. Same with Chris Bryant.

Anyone have stats on % of swing and misses under vs over at the MLB level.

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
RDB I know you've used the the term 'Laser the ball before", and by lasering the ball you are slicing the ball in half (you might of actually used those words before as well). If a 90 mph ball does not have a central reference point how do you attempt to laser it in half.? I'll let you ponder that question and come back with a nonsensical response which is typical for you when you get a little lost.

Anyway enough of entertaining the S#$@disturbers, I was just curious of what everybody thought when some the greats talked about creating backspin. A lot of them speak of hitting the bottom "half" of the ball.
Prove to me and everyone else where I used the phrases 'laser the ball'. I'll wait.......

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I'll let you ponder that question and come back with a nonsensical response which is typical for you when you get a little lost.
I'm lost...HAHa ......how many questions did you post just today.....was it 2....and I'm lost.
Yesterday:
Yeah, I'm lost........
Sounds like/looks like someone looking for 'direction'...
Look in the mirror and you will see who is LOST.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Backspin is not something I concentrate on. There have been some studies concerning backspin conducted by people far smarter than me. They claim that the amount of backspin required to provide any real results is nearly impossible to produce.

And remember there are multiple things that impact spin on the ball. The location of the collision. The spin of the pitch. And the angle of the incoming pitch as compared to the angle the bat is traveling. Think about it this way. Even in today's launch angle society the ball is typically following a steeper path than the barrel. Even if you square up the ball perfectly the result will include backspin. Also the farther away from center that the impact occurs the more slice will be involved. Closer to the center will provide a better transfer of energy. I'm sure pattar can explain it much better.

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
Backspin is not something I concentrate on. There have been some studies concerning backspin conducted by people far smarter than me. They claim that the amount of backspin required to provide any real results is nearly impossible to produce.

And remember there are multiple things that impact spin on the ball. The location of the collision. The spin of the pitch. And the angle of the incoming pitch as compared to the angle the bat is traveling. Think about it this way. Even in today's launch angle society the ball is typically following a steeper path than the barrel. Even if you square up the ball perfectly the result will include backspin. Also the farther away from center that the impact occurs the more slice will be involved. Closer to the center will provide a better transfer of energy. I'm sure pattar can explain it much better.
Thanks FP26, DD squares up the ball quite a bit, the result, no spin, ball doesn't travel.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Thanks FP26, DD squares up the ball quite a bit, the result, no spin, ball doesn't travel.
I was at uCLA game earlier this year. There was 8 HRs but the hardest hit ball was a line out to CF. Batter turned a FB into a knuckleball that never went over 12 feet off the ground. CF made a great play just to catch it. Pitchers please wear mask.

Jun 8, 2016
I think if you have a good path through the ball backspin will take care of itself imo. Too flat a path like my DD's will result in barreled balls having little spin or top spin most of the time...she's the queen of topspin line drives.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck