Where should you hit the ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
You see MLB'ers all the time talking about hitting the inside lower half of the ball(Ryan Braun Drill). Why? Wouldn't this lead to weakly sliced ball? Apparently it's the best way to create back spin with no side spin. Is this really a teach point, or should the hitter try to always square the ball up?

Mar 17, 2011
Virginia
This, or some version of this, is what I've always seen when folks talk about hitting the lower half. I'm guessing the focus on the inside part of the ball is to remind the hitter to keep hands inside the ball?IMG_0560.jpg

I always tried to teach my DD that this contact should be made as she's coming up and through the ball...same plane.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
You see MLB'ers all the time talking about hitting the inside lower half of the ball(Ryan Braun Drill). Why? Wouldn't this lead to weakly sliced ball? Apparently it's the best way to create back spin with no side spin. Is this really a teach point, or should the hitter try to always square the ball up?
That may be something they think about off the tee or maybe in BP when you are trying to hit this:

I doubt they are worrying too much about where they are hitting the ball ;)

May 12, 2016
That may be something they think about off the tee or maybe in BP when you are trying to hit this:

I doubt they are worrying too much about where they are hitting the ball ;)

Then there would be absolutely no point in practicing it. If their intent is to square up the ball, why practice hitting the bottom part of the ball during practice?

Jun 8, 2016
Then there would be absolutely no point in practicing it. If their intent is to square up the ball, why practice hitting the bottom part of the ball during practice?
Nomar used to do this before every pitch..I guess he thought it helped him ;)

May 12, 2016
Nomar used to do this before every pitch..I guess he thought it helped him ;)

That's pretty lame pattar.. that's part of his routine.. has nothing to do with a hitters approach in regard to where they want to make contact with a baseball.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Wade Boggs said something to the effect, "I have been working in the off season on getting more topspin on the ball so when I hit it in the gaps it will get to the wall."

A 12-time All-Star third baseman, Boggs ended his 18-year (1982-99) major league career with 3,010 hits, a .328 batting average and a .415 on-base percentage.

He was a weird dude. Read about his pre game routine.
https://www.mensjournal.com/sports/...etes/wade-boggsae-pre-game-chicken-tradition/

Jun 8, 2016
That's pretty lame pattar.
Thanks..I try.
that's part of his routine.. has nothing to do with a hitters approach in regard to where they want to make contact with a baseball.
My point is that some MLB'ers do things because they think it is going to help them hit better e.g. a routine whether it be in the batter's box or 2 hours before the game in the cage which in reality probably don't do a dang thing. I, unlike some people, don't believe you need to blindly listen to pros advice on hitting.

May 12, 2016
Wade Boggs said something to the effect, "I have been working in the off season on getting more topspin on the ball so when I hit it in the gaps it will get to the wall."

A 12-time All-Star third baseman, Boggs ended his 18-year (1982-99) major league career with 3,010 hits, a .328 batting average and a .415 on-base percentage.

He was a weird dude. Read about his pre game routine.
https://www.mensjournal.com/sports/...etes/wade-boggsae-pre-game-chicken-tradition/
That's opposite, but I understand his logic, :). I played outfield most of my life, backspin just floats, topspin dies, hard to catch to make and if if hits the ground it doesn't stop. Seriously though, kind of backwards thinking considering what most pros say.

May 12, 2016
Thanks..I try. My point is that some MLB'ers do things because they think it is going to help them hit better e.g. a routine whether it be in the batter's box or 2 hours before the game in the cage which in reality probably don't do a dang thing. I, unlike some people, don't believe you need to blindly listen to pros advice on hitting.
OMG your point makes no sense. Yes hitters have routines, they tap their cleats with the bat, they take a deep breath etc etc. I'm talking about a practical approach here, they speak of creating backspin by making contact with a certain area of the ball, they practice it, and guess what, we all know a ball with backspin carries further. Nomar's irritating batters box routine is not going to have any impact on ball flight.. unless he's somehow magical. Maybe you are having a go here at me... :)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32