Road to the LLWS 2023 edition

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
Again, as I mentioned on here before - it will be a summer to remember for these girls, their parents, and their communities. If you feel the level of play is that terrible for teams made up of 10-12 y/o girls, just change the channel. Put PGF on and call it a day.
No, maybe you read that wrong or my comment intention...I'm surprised at the level of inconsistency that I see over the tournament. Which means that with all the sanctioned levels including LLWS, I guess you'll see it. Tons of talent there, but at the same time you see many "what just happened" elementary mistake events more than I thought we would.

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
No, maybe you read that wrong or my comment intention...I'm surprised at the level of inconsistency that I see over the tournament. Which means that with all the sanctioned levels including LLWS, I guess you'll see it. Tons of talent there, but at the same time you see many "what just happened" elementary mistake events more than I thought we would.

There is really good reason why players who advanced used to go “play competitive” but today the term has morphed into “travel ball.” Staying ahead of the false advertising charges …

It is no longer competitive in general, but just expensive rec ball in too many cases.

May 17, 2023
There is really good reason why players who advanced used to go “play competitive” but today the term has morphed into “travel ball.” Staying ahead of the false advertising charges …

It is no longer competitive in general, but just expensive rec ball in too many cases.

I don't mean this as a direct shot at you, so hopefully won't be taken that way. But it isn't just the parents with kids that have moved away from LL, it is also good umpires.

So why did they do that? I'm sure pay is better, but also being able to work for a well run event like USA, USSSA, or PGF could be a part of it. So to put it all on parents isn't the whole story.

Softball has a lot of rules but when umpires only know about half of them it does make for a chaotic experience. My daughter's very last LL game pop fly with bases loaded and two outs lands on 3B bag and ricochets towards the fence. Clears the bases and other team wins, but umpire decides after the play that it was a foul ball and puts everyone back. Girl strikes out we win:oops:.

May 27, 2013
I don't mean this as a direct shot at you, so hopefully won't be taken that way. But it isn't just the parents with kids that have moved away from LL, it is also good umpires.

So why did they do that? I'm sure pay is better, but also being able to work for a well run event like USA, USSSA, or PGF could be a part of it. So to put it all on parents isn't the whole story.

Little League umpires are all volunteer. They do not get paid to umpire games. If parents are going to harp on umpires from the stands I don’t blame them for at least wanting to get paid to put up with the nonsense.

Nov 18, 2022
Little League umpires are all volunteer. They do not get paid to umpire games. If parents are going to harp on umpires from the stands I don’t blame them for at least wanting to get paid to put up with the nonsense.

My oldest was and now my youngest is in LL and our umps are paid as are most others around the state here. They are definitely not volunteers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 17, 2023

Ours are definitely paid, though not as much as say the travel ball sanctions. Often it is HS kids. Some of them are actually pretty good, but generally move on quickly.

May 27, 2013
Interesting, because it is supposed to be a volunteer position. Ours always was. Reason being most Little Leagues typically don’t carry worker’s comp insurance. Maybe yours does?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles