When NOT to do what the Pros do..

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 5, 2009
Bordentown, NJ
Shockcoach said this in another thread, and it made me laugh out loud.

Well of course you had to pick videos of Arod from Seattle and Texas. He also throws side-arm. Good thing he had Olerud at first to make him look good.

Was watching a game last spring with my son when Arod fielded a ground ball. I paused the DVR and said "See? Even millionaire players like Arod use two hands"...

Then I unpause, and he goes and fires the thing sidearm to first. I felt like banging my head on the wall :mad: :eek:

Mar 25, 2011
I loved the ball game the other night with all the errors. It made me not feel so bad about my fielding performance some times in my softball games.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
There is nothing wrong with throwing side arm. For that matter, prefer infielders throw in that manner; or even underhand, if they can be accurate and make the distance.

Mar 13, 2010
There is nothing wrong with throwing side arm. For that matter, prefer infielders throw in that manner; or even underhand, if they can be accurate and make the distance.

I know too many girls and women who have thrown their arm out over time throwing side arm to agree with that. Myself included.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I know too many girls and women who have thrown their arm out over time throwing side arm to agree with that. Myself included.

If that's the case, you never bothered learning how to throw sidearm. I know plenty of people who have thrown out there arm overhand and 3/4, even one who popped his shoulder, but from over-exertion, not from the mechanical standpoint.

You cannot throw 3/4 or overhand from a fielding position without losing .5-1 second which is a long time on a short field.

Oct 12, 2009
Throwing sidearm can be a problem, but generally only baseball pitchers throw hard enough for it to be an issue.

Infield throws usually aren't long enough, or frequent enough, to be an issue. Outfield throws are longer and harder, but are even less frequent.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Throwing sidearm can be a problem, but generally only baseball pitchers throw hard enough for it to be an issue.

True, but you don't see that many pitchers which throw sidearm as the norm. It is usually just to change up a delivery to keep the batter off balance.

Infield throws usually aren't long enough, or frequent enough, to be an issue.

The problem with the IF is that some don't have the strength to get it there without a hump on it and that is something that does require a little practice.

Outfield throws are longer and harder, but are even less frequent.

Never on a play. If just lobbing the ball in, even underhand is better. But if you have a play, sidearm or underhand just means you have to lift the ball that much farther to make the distance and that can put a strain on the arm. Always 3/4 or over to top from the OF

Aug 2, 2008
Look at ffs's model fielding thread, watch a college game, they almost all throw side arm from the infield. I dont see it being any more destructive than throwing 3/4, just a different angle. lead with the elbow and create whip. there is just more room for error throwing side arm, if you dont practice.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez