Where the 'elite' kids shouldn't meet....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
I think that's a big part of it, another part is the false idea that our kids are not safe outdoors without parental oversight. Kids cannot just go out and ride their bike to the river and fish, or go the playground and meet up with a dozen other kids to play ball on their own. For a kid these days if a parent doesn't organize it, take you there and sit and wait for you to finish you can't go.

Yeah, we've all read the stories of parents getting arrested for letting kids walk to the park, while in our day kids went all over the place. I remember walking around DC when I was 5, or taking a bus downtown a few years later. Or walking with my brother to and from church, or even a swimmig pool in Maryland. We moved to Arkansas when I was 9, and all the kids walked everywhere there, too. These days parents get arrested. I even had a school threaten to call the cops because DW got stuck in traffic coming to pick up the kids.

Not just in the US. Someone did a study of 4 generations in the UK, all living in the same north side neighborhood in the same town, and how far they could travel on their own.
When great-grandpa was about 6, he could walk several miles to the south end of town without supervision.
Grandpa, at the same age, would travel about half that distance, going to the center of town.
Mother could walk a few blocks in her neighborhood.
Son is NEVER out of direct line of sight of an adult.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I think the author was traumatized by Buddy Wall and is still holding to a childhood resentment for kids that were better ballplayers. What he said is true for an aspect of youth sports, but it ignores all the coaches who have a TB team as basically a hobby because they just love doing this. The coaches who could spend their free time and disposable income on golf, but choose to spend it to buy equipment and help make sure the single mom can afford to have her kid play on the team by chipping in for tournaments when dues don't cover it.

90% of coaches are not making dime off their TB team. Sure there are a few org heads making some good money and the tournaments can make good money, same can be said for top level private instructors, but by and large everyone is either just getting by or is paying to help instruct the sport.

He also paints the kids and parents with one brush. for every family that thinks they have the next Jenny Finch and strokes her ego constantly, there are 10 where the kid understands that her talent in the sport is a result of outworking other kids and parents who understand that their kid has a role to play and is not the star.

I don't feel duped by someone peddling something to me at all, I feel like my girls outgrew rec and needed to move on. I share his dislike for the whole "get to the next level" aspect, I am in the minority sometimes but I don't care if they get to any next level, I just want to spend my Sunday's watching a game played well." And my girls just want to play ball with others at a similar skill level.

I do recognize that the fun does get taken away a little with the pressure the girls feel to perform well, but the feeling they get when they do well I think makes up for the pressure. I think TB is fun for a kid who is competitive.

Excellent post, JJ. This pretty much nails where I am on this situation with my 10yo DD.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I play ball every day with my 5yo granddaughter. She also invites her imaginary friend "Lisa."

Jocelyn can hit with the best of them, but out of 15 balls that I throw to her, she catches 2. BUT - she looks good. Cleat, ball pants, helmet.

When I am at the ball park, I am always asked why Jocelyn isn't playing 6U. I say "she can't catch the ball." (Oh, and I don't want to spend $75.00, for her to play in the dirt.) I should ask them, if they can also take Lisa.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
I play ball every day with my 5yo granddaughter. She also invites her imaginary friend "Lisa."

Jocelyn can hit with the best of them, but out of 15 balls that I throw to her, she catches 2. BUT - she looks good. Cleat, ball pants, helmet.

When I am at the ball park, I am always asked why Jocelyn isn't playing 6U. I say "she can't catch the ball." (Oh, and I don't want to spend $75.00, for her to play in the dirt.) I should ask them, if they can also take Lisa.

Can Lisa catch?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I hope that Lisa is a catcher, because grandma has about had it. I have to "announce" the batters. "And now, batting is Lisa!"

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Someday you will really miss Lisa, and that will greatly embarrass your granddaughter.
Someday, your granddaughter will teach her kids and grandkids, and she will miss Lisa too.

Jan 20, 2015
Indiana
I see alot of what the article is stating where I'm from. Here it seems playing travel ball is as much a status symbol as it is an opportunity to play more games against better competition and get better coaching. There are new travel teams popping up monthly it seems many of which are gold,elite,select whatever but many of which are truly just an average rec ball team at best. They pay tourney fees, get unis and car decals for mom and dad then get run ruled on Saturdays with ready made excuses in hand "we were off this weekend" or "bats just went cold" then come Monday dad brags how little Johnny or Janie plays travel ball, mom posts on Facebook and kids can talk at school about how they are on a "travel team". Meanwhile the talent pool gets so thinned out because they get one good or decent player to jump teams because on this team they are the top dog and w I'll pitch all the innings they can handle play whatever position they want, but lose nearly every game. Mom gets to post, dad gets to brag team still stinks. How about this-earn your innings,earn your at bats earn your playing time. Don't jump teams until you find one that fits your needs-ie weak enough so your the star. Work to be the star or be your best by working hard. Microwave society. If I can't have it now move on!!!!!

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
I hope that Lisa is a catcher, because grandma has about had it. I have to "announce" the batters. "And now, batting is Lisa!"

when we practice simulated innings, dd pitches to imaginary batters that are made-up daughters of NY Yankee players.
Melissa Jeter, Conchita Posada, Amy Petit, Kumiko Suzuki, etc. each with a physique (and batting ability) inherited from thier Dads. (Suzuki is a slapper, of course)
I also "announce" them.

Great fun! and DD is 11U.

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
when we practice simulated innings, dd pitches to imaginary batters that are made-up daughters of NY Yankee players.
Melissa Jeter, Conchita Posada, Amy Petit, Kumiko Suzuki, etc. each with a physique (and batting ability) inherited from thier Dads. (Suzuki is a slapper, of course)
I also "announce" them.

Great fun! and DD is 11U.

Sounds like a lot of imaginary HBPs to me!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles