Not sure what to do! Swearing coach...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Although those 13-14 year-olds have no doubt heard the F-bomb before, it has no place in a coach's dictionary when addressing players. That said, we all could find plenty of non-profane words that could wreck the confidence of any ball player. Calling anyone out personally in a post-game meeting for anything other than a job well done is wrong at any level.

It isn't easy playing in the rain, much less pitching. A catcher who is overtly hostile to the pitcher is an enormous problem, and if that was really the case, that by itself is toxic to the team's viability. A pitcher failing to catch a hard line drive is usually NOT an error, but I'm unclear whether the bad throw to 1B occurred on the same play or a different one. An error is a failure to execute a routine defensive play, not a failure to make an exceptional one. Regardless, in a team sport, it's rarely on one player.

I heap much responsibility on my kid's shoulders, and normally, she makes it happen. We had an important game recently, and as usual in tight contests with closely matched opponents, whoever makes the fewest mistakes wins. DD made a great defensive play on the first batter of the game, but then later booted a well hit grounder, allowing two runs. She took one on the elbow during AB #1, and then had two runs in scoring position late in the game. Typically, she's worth betting on in that situation, but fouled it off to the catcher. There were critical mental / physical errors by others, and we didn't hit very well overall, and narrowly lost. In the post-game, I swallowed my frustration, told the kids to forget about it, and move on mentally to the next game starting 15 minutes later, which we easily won. I later told an unhappy DD privately that had she fielded that hard grounder, and gotten a base hit late in the game, that the results might have been different, but that the loss wasn't her fault. I also told her that when I play, I always try to tell myself the truth about what happened, and use that to get better. It was most definitely a team loss, and had others hit better, or not brain-farted, or whatever, her less-than-perfect game wouldn't have mattered.

Coaches have no less invested in a team's success than the players. Tremendous amounts of time, energy and money go into this stuff, and you wouldn't want a coach who wasn't emotionally invested in the team's success. That said, perspective needs to be maintained, and that emotion controlled. Adults are in charge, and they need to act responsibly. Personally, I'd have a talk with the coach about all these concerns, and if I didn't hear ALL the right things, and then see those words promptly acted upon, I'd be on my way elsewhere.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2014
Wow.....you may want to consider keeping your DD on a REC league team for the foreseeable future.

I'll just let the coach call your kid every name in the book.. Not my kid.
Respect is a 2 way street.

Oct 7, 2014
just remember travel coaches work for YOU !!!! My DD has played travel ball for the past 6 years and this is a good to look at things for me anyway. jmho

Mar 20, 2015
NW Az
There are no excuses for cussing at the girls. I understand frustration boils over, but thats when you need to be an adult and walk away and cool down. This is a softball game, not a life or death situation. Coaching staff needs to apologize to your daughter in front of the whole team. Be a man and own it!!!! Not the way to show being a team member.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA