What to do when umpire makes his own rules?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
1. Yes, if this stuff is getting on the ball, the ball will be removed from play.
2. If I have a ball that I deem unplayable, I may
remove that ball from play.
3. IF I determine that the reason the ball is unplayable is because a player was applying a foreign substance to the ball, then that player will also be ejected.
Finally there it is clearly described.
Soooo simple.... And its really amazingly about the ball first and foremost!!!!!

1. Can't put/or transfer even legal GG to the ball.
2. Substance deams the ball unplayable. *not permitted.
3. There could be further action if any such substance is deamed on purpose.

Thats it!!!!!!
It doesnt matter why the ball has a substance on it!!!!
It could be from sunscreen a player had on there hands.
If its surface changed to sticky/slick/wet/damaged
it becomes unplayable.

...:) little fun with umpires here...
Still not certain why if Edlov deams the ball unplayable its a MAYBE to replace it...
Thats what makes me lol.
... :)
The jury is out on wether or not ed will use an unplayable ball.

Just fyi Blue, when i coach always have brand new game balls at the ready for easy solution!

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2021
MI
@RADcatcher I don't know if you are doing it on purpose, but when I use "may" it means an action that the rules permit but do not require, as in a batter may take her position in either batters' box. When I am talking about an action that I perhaps would do depending on the situation I use "might" as in, if a batter draws a line in the dirt after I ring up strike 3, I might eject her. (A shucks who am I kidding, someone draws a line in the dirt on me, they are done for the day). Anyway, if a ball is unplayable I may replace it, the rules permit, but do not require, that action. If I determine that a player caused the ball to be unplayable by applying a foreign substance to the ball, approved for other uses or not, then I will ALSO eject her, because the rules REQUIRE that action. (in other words at that point I have no choice and there is no further umpire's judgment)

radness

Dec 13, 2019
@RADcatcher I don't know if you are doing it on purpose, but when I use "may" it means an action that the rules permit but do not require, as in a batter may take her position in either batters' box. When I am talking about an action that I perhaps would do depending on the situation I use "might" as in, if a batter draws a line in the dirt after I ring up strike 3, I might eject her. (A shucks who am I kidding, someone draws a line in the dirt on me, they are done for the day). Anyway, if a ball is unplayable I may replace it, the rules permit, but do not require, that action. If I determine that a player caused the ball to be unplayable by applying a foreign substance to the ball, approved for other uses or not, then I will ALSO eject her, because the rules REQUIRE that action. (in other words at that point I have no choice and there is no further umpire's judgment)
Enjoy being an umpire sir!!! ;)
My posts not being directed nor intended to be harping at you. Just the topic it brought up.
No interest in
That Spider web of your over analization of repeating guidelines missing the point the ball being my point...
If its deamed unplayable its out.

Good luck to you!

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2021
MI
It doesnt matter why the ball has a substance on it!!!!
It could be from sunscreen a player had on there hands.

BTW RADcatcher, if I determine that sunscreen came from any of the players on the field and not some random fan in the stands, not only is the ball getting replaced, but so is the player. Either way I am replacing the ball because it is unplayable and the rules state that I MAY (I am permitted but not required to) do that.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Enjoy being an umpire sir!!! ;)
My posts not being directed nor intended to be harping at you. Just the topic it brought up.
No interest in
That Spider web of your over analization of repeating guidelines missing the point the ball being my point...
If its deamed unplayable its out.

Good luck to you!

RAD, I enjoy your posts and question asking. But, I don’t think Ed is over analyzing. To me he’s simply providing his thought process (based on rule verbiage) in the situation a foreign substance (of whatever kind besides water or dirt) is found to be on the ball. Whether it be from an approved drying agent or not.

The funny thing is you both agree. A sticky substance, once found on the ball and called to attention, gets the ball removed. Potentially also with a player being removed.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
RAD, I enjoy your posts and question asking. But, I don’t think Ed is over analyzing. To me he’s simply providing his thought process (based on rule verbiage) in the situation a foreign substance (of whatever kind besides water or dirt) is found to be on the ball. Whether it be from an approved drying agent or not.

The funny thing is you both agree. A sticky substance, once found on the ball and called to attention, gets the ball removed. Potentially also with a player being removed.
And yes to agreement of stickyness on the ball. of which is the main point from my original post :)
But do you or not see the humor
In not being certain if an unplayable ball should be used.??? Come on now :) ;)

Add
There is also moving discussion forward...
By distinguishing the points made with in the posts.

And that is where i found the overanalyzing reocurring.
Over looking the specific point made.
The ball.

Yes i will keep laughing at this...
Because ssssoooo many words used to describe and offer ruling feedback...
Verbiage purposes~
This simple word
'unplayable'
Actually means exactly what it says!!!!!
Unplayable!!!!!
It should not be used.
i find humor in things....
I did put smiley faces and the verbiage
A little fun with umpires....
Its a good thing people take/get different things out of dfp!!!!!
Glad things get discussed thoroughly for that reason.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
Approved for use.
Approved for use.
Approved for use.

Because the sanction researched it and found out IT DOESN’T LEAVE A RESIDUE ON THE BALL. So they approved it. Story over.

Until it isn’t because some 109 year old umpire starts clucking about it. And the other team gets wind of it. And the kid with a dynamite curve ball gets labeled a cheater. Forever.

Quit reading your own "if‘s ands and buts" into every rule.
Dang, I was crabby this morning!

Sorry about that, y'all. I blame the crappy hotel coffee.

May 24, 2016
High school game - follow NFHS rules which approved gorilla grip for use in 2014. fourth inning opposing coach says pitcher is putting foreign substance on the ball by using gorilla tape. Umpire goes out takes gorilla grip from the pitcher. Umpire is told the NFHS has approved Gorilla Grip use and he says it is not legal and will not be allowed in play.

coach asked the umpire to check the rules and he said no. He asked then if the umpire gets to make his own rules and umpire mode it known if he said another word he is ejected.

so what is the appropriate thing to do in the situation since the umpire refuses to educate himself and check the rule book?
ART. 2 ... The pitcher shall not at any time during the game be allowed to use tape or other Substance on the ball or contact points of the pitching hand or fingers; nor shall any other player apply a foreign substance to the ball. A pitcher who licks her fingers shall wipe them off before bringing them in contact with the ball. Under the supervision and control of the umpire, powdered rosin or any comparable drying agent may be used to dry the hand. It is not necessary to wipe off the drying agent before making contact with the ball. The pitcher shall not wear any item on the pitching hand, wrist, arm or thighs which the umpire judges to be distracting to the batter.
(Above is from 2020 NFHS Rule Book)

May 24, 2016
Call his assignor and lodge a complaint.

And for the record, last I knew the rulebook does not say a word about gorilla gold, but it is listed as being accepted in the nfhs rulings.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
RULING: Legal in (a) and (b). The powered rosin and the comparable drying agent (Gorilla Gold)are permitted based on their ability to not transfer to the ball. Wiping these substances off the hand prior to touching the ball is not necessary. L

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi