What to do when umpire makes his own rules?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2018
ART. 2 ... It is not necessary to wipe off the drying agent before making contact with the ball.
(Above is from 2020 NFHS Rule Book)

GG approved as a drying agent yet if you look right on the product description it says "No Slip Grip" and "slight tackiness". Well duh it is like pine tar. SO I guess my only argument is that the product makes your hands sticky which then gets transferred to the ball. So it is not the pitchers fault that an authorized/approved drying agent has that direct outcome on the ball. IF an umpire can chime in and say that they have ever umped a game with a pitcher using the product and that the balls have not been sticky as a result I would like to know because I have yet to hear that from an umpire aware of the product and it being approved for use.

More or less every umpire I have talked to says they feel as though their hands are tied since it is an approved for play product and they feel as though anyone using it is going to result in having the ball feel sticky. Not that the pitcher is deliberately using the product to doctor the ball but that it is just a natural effect from using it.

Apr 18, 2023
High school game - follow NFHS rules which approved gorilla grip for use in 2014. fourth inning opposing coach says pitcher is putting foreign substance on the ball by using gorilla tape. Umpire goes out takes gorilla grip from the pitcher. Umpire is told the NFHS has approved Gorilla Grip use and he says it is not legal and will not be allowed in play.

coach asked the umpire to check the rules and he said no. He asked then if the umpire gets to make his own rules and umpire mode it known if he said another word he is ejected.

so what is the appropriate thing to do in the situation since the umpire refuses to educate himself and check the rule book?
GG is legal however by their own website and specifications, they say that the TOWEL leaves a waxy substance on the fingers. Therefore the TOWEL is illegal. Plain old GG is good to go.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020

What to do when umpire makes his own rules?​

Teach you catcher how to step on his foot without looking?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi