What traits does a pitcher need?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 9, 2009
I've been reading these posts, and get bits and pieces of the pie, but it seems that every girl on my team wants to be a pitcher.
My DD pitches, as well as two others. Of the three, two have that mental toughness, but the other is going to be a tall teenager...two practice a lot...One has good leg strength...two have fast arm rotation...blah, blah, blah...
(My DD is a decent pitcher because she's the most competitive little cuss in the world.)

I guess I want to have some info to give the kids/parents when they ask if I think their DD should try pitching...Cause I REALLY don't know who makes good pitchers and who makes not-so-good pitchers, and what it was about them physically and mentally that leads to it...

:confused:

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I think that in softball, a good athlete makes a good pitcher - because she has to do so many other things. (field, back up, cut off) And often times, she is a very active girl (band, soccer, swimming, church, etc.)

Height doesn't matter so much to me.

And personally, some good pitchers are just really strange ducks. I had a 10 YO show up last year with eye liner on. I thought she would have been good, if she had stuck with it.

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
How does a player handle adversity? Mental strength is huge ...

I have seen so many pitchers get frustrated on the mound ... they aren't pitching well they start getting huffy ... Ump is squeezing strike zone they start crying or stamping their feet back to the mound .... someone makes an error they are quick to point a finger.

My DD certainly isn't the most dynamic or talented pitcher .. but she is extremely steady when things aren't going well ....
one of her best assets is that she doesn't give up and gets herself out of situations by just being persistent.

Her younger sister is more physically talented, but doesn't have this mental strength (yet, only 11) on the mound.
(behind the plate and on the soccer field yes, but not on the mound)

Coachability is another huge factor. Is the player (and parents) receptive to instruction?

Apr 13, 2010
I think the number one trait needed is work ethic. You have to put in so much more practice and so much more time into pitching.

Jan 27, 2010
Desire, dedication, talent and strong work ethic are keys to becoming a pitcher. My oldest DD was one that was so determined that her first year she would get frustrated and had her tantrums in the circle , but it drove her to work harder and smarter. Fivepotsofgold mentioned this in his post as being a negative for a pitcher. I agree it can be a problem for some, but others it may be a motivation. Seasoned pitchers should not exhibit frustration, but those whom are just beginning will become frustrated when things are not going the way they feel they should. My DD started in the eighth grade as the varsity pitcher and is to this day the best pitcher the school has ever had.Mental toughness normally evolves with the pitcher who continues to stick with it and develops the confidence in her ability to adjust to adverse situations.

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The sad truth about Crazy Daddies--

If there were no Crazy Daddies and Crazy Mommies, then there would be no great pitchers.

So, take a look at the parents and determine if they have the stick-to-it-ness it takes to make their DD a pitcher. Someone is going to have to drag DD's sorry rear end outside. Someone is going to have be a starry eyed, idiotic optimist about the DD's talent level. Someone is going to have to be making sure there are mitts and balls in the car when they go on vacation.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2010
For me it is a tie between work ethic and mental toughness. My DD has the physical traits (tall, fast arm, endurance, and explosiveness) that contribute to her being a good pitcher but it is the hard work and practice that make her able to maximize her god given talents. My DD spent 30 minutes last night after a 2 hour practice going through her drop ball exercises. She has been having problems mastering that pitch and is working extremely hard on the muscle memory routines. Pick up ball, practice drop releases, repeat 100 times. She has done that same routine every day for the past two weeks and she does so because she wants to be a better pitcher. Hard work does not alone make a good pitcher. Mental toughness is equally important. As my DD improved the pressure on her to succeed or fail increased. Her teams look to her to lead them and she has stepped up to be a leader. The pressure on her to fail has also grown. Whether it is opposing players or parents the boos, snide remarks, catcalls, etc are growing. Working with her PC she has learned how to tune out those distractions and keep her focus on the pitch.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Mentally

She believes she is the one that most likely will determine a games outcome if she performs at her highest level and she loves that.

She doesn't want there to be another pitcher with higher speed and stuff than she has and she is willing to work to make it happen.

She has the inner confidence that she can out think her opponents

She rebounds quickly when things go bad (sees the big picture)

She is a team player and recognizes the value of her teamates while realizing that she has the lead role in the games outcome and all of the team is counting on her(and she loves it).

Enjoys competing in everything (board games, kickball, jump rope, video games)and really wants to win

Physically

At or above average size

Good coordination and fluid, balanced movement in throwing and swinging

Oct 22, 2009
Oh so true! Drives my wife crazy.

I couldn't begin to tell you how many rest stops, hotels and campgrounds we've pitched at! Had to get a park ranger once to retrieve a ball out of a tree.

My list!
Work ethics---also equals crazy daddy/momma. I believe parents are instrumental in teaching work ethics.
Determination--cannot stand failure, but thrives on the competition instead of giving up.
Smart---you gotta have some smarts in that noggin to do this!

I don't think physical attributes or athleticism are a top priority.
I've seen many small girls and girls that couldn't do anything BUT pitch, do very well as pitchers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
br_pickoff