Less than a superstar at teaching pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
The reason we generally get a coach is because we don’t know enough to help our kid enough on our own. That also means we don’t know enough to know if the coach doesn’t know what they are talking about.

This isn't, or shouldn't be, true.

Long before I developed the ability to teach the basics of pitching (and I still don't want to go beyond that), I learned the good/bad. I learned what to look for in a pitching coach for my players.

It's possible to learn enough to recognize good instruction without knowing enough to teach it all yourself.

Nov 9, 2021
This isn't, or shouldn't be, true.

Long before I developed the ability to teach the basics of pitching (and I still don't want to go beyond that), I learned the good/bad. I learned what to look for in a pitching coach for my players.

It's possible to learn enough to recognize good instruction without knowing enough to teach it all yourself.

I think the ability to recognize good instruction evolves over time. At the beginning of my DD’s journey I went through every pitching resource I could find. I watched hours of video and different instruction. The various instructors all “sounded” knowledgeable. Now I wouldn’t let my DD near some of those instructors.

I wish I knew more earlier in her journey. I just didn’t. I don’t think I am alone in that either. So it isn’t surprising to me when beginning players stick with a bad instructor too long.

I continue to try and learn as much as I can. As my DD continues to improve she will need more and more advanced teaching. It is a tough decision to leave a coach that has helped your kid but is probably reaching the limit of what they can teach them.

Time is a precious commodity. My kids are already growing up too fast. So to me there is some pressure to not waste some of that time with the wrong instructors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I think the ability to recognize good instruction evolves over time. At the beginning of my DD’s journey I went through every pitching resource I could find. I watched hours of video and different instruction. The various instructors all “sounded” knowledgeable. Now I wouldn’t let my DD near some of those instructors.

I wish I knew more earlier in her journey. I just didn’t. I don’t think I am alone in that either. So it isn’t surprising to me when beginning players stick with a bad instructor too long.

I agree with all this.

My point, I think, is that if a parent is on board enough with their child's development to spend money on a private coach, they should also invest the time in learning enough to find one who teaches the right thing. I think that's part of the responsibility a parent has in their child's journey.

I'm not talking so much about the person who tries out a couple coaches early on or realizes they made a mistake. There is some trial and error to the process. I'm talking those parents who will just spend thousands of dollars for several years on someone who's just stealing their money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG