What traits does a pitcher need?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

She has to love the game!
She is going to miss alot of functions with her friends because of practice and games.
She has to be willing to put in the work!
Many of the wannabe pitchers fall out at this stage because of the extra 3-4 hours they must practice pitching.
She has to be drivin!
The same girl who thrives on the extra attention and satisfaction of dominating a game from the mound, also must get angry enough to work harder when the batters catch up to her.
She must have a crazy daddy or mommy as sluggers said!
A rational parent would never allow his or her daughter to become a pitcher, it is simply to much stress.
She must be teachable!
The dramatic nature of every pre-teen and teenage girl causes them to have conflict with dad/mom or coach but her desire to be better must outweigh her desire to be right.
She must have a high or above average self esteem!
Lets face it many girls do not pitch because they do not want everyone staring at them when things are going bad.
She must be naive!
Certainly any rational thinking girl would never put up with every thing listed above.
Mike

Nov 23, 2009
Talent, desire, will, focus, determination, mental toughness and what was mentioned earlier a crazy dad( I am a shoe in for this award), whom everyone looks at and says "he makes her throw all the time!" "she works way too hard!" and "he is always out here, does he ever go home?" but after a while the comments change to "wow, that girl is amazing!"

Sep 4, 2009
I've been reading these posts, and get bits and pieces of the pie, but it seems that every girl on my team wants to be a pitcher.
My DD pitches, as well as two others. Of the three, two have that mental toughness, but the other is going to be a tall teenager...two practice a lot...One has good leg strength...two have fast arm rotation...blah, blah, blah...
(My DD is a decent pitcher because she's the most competitive little cuss in the world.)

I guess I want to have some info to give the kids/parents when they ask if I think their DD should try pitching...Cause I REALLY don't know who makes good pitchers and who makes not-so-good pitchers, and what it was about them physically and mentally that leads to it...

:confused:
It's just like the rest of your team...Recruit orphans!! LOL

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Maybe I missed it but did anyone say the pitcher must have a lot of fun pitching??? A pitcher has to come to the point they love to pitch. Once they are there, then they CAN become passionate about it. If they never learn to love the game and become passionate about it, they will NEVER attain greatness, wont happen.

They gotta have fun doing everything they have to do.

Hal

Jan 12, 2010
A pitcher has to have the skill to be a pitcher in the first place. Not everyone can do it (whether genetics or otherwise). Then she has to have the drive and work ethic to hone and maintain that skill. There is a great deal of sacrifice involved for the pitcher and her parents. Potential only goes so far. However, a fine-tuned physical pitcher is not a great pitcher unless and until she is a mentally tough pitcher. The last two (work ethic and mentally strong) are what really decide how far she will go, and both are interchangeable in ranking. That is, she's not going to get far if she doesn't work hard and/or if she isn't strong enough mentally. This is why so many pitchers who start out dominating in their younger years never go anywhere.

Oct 3, 2009
Maybe I missed it but did anyone say the pitcher must have a lot of fun pitching??? A pitcher has to come to the point they love to pitch. Once they are there, then they CAN become passionate about it. If they never learn to love the game and become passionate about it, they will NEVER attain greatness, wont happen.

They gotta have fun doing everything they have to do.

Hal

While I definitely agree with the strong work ethic, mental toughness, etc. posts. I agree with Hal and think having an absolute passion for pitching and loving it is probably the most important. My daughter played multiple sports including softball until she started to pitch. Now it is her absolute passion to the point where grandparents and extended family are "concerned" that all she does is softball and she "practices and plays too much". And yes the consensus is I am crazy (you know every present to my daughter is either a spinner, Hal's online book, weighted balls :) ). And we have worn bare spots in the backyard. Who knows she may pick up the flute week/month/year because she is only 12 but it sure is fun watching your child find a passion and work at it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gmc7283