What is the true cost of travel ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Just curious what other members think about this...

Some of my closest friends that are not involved in travel ball state that they won't become involved because of the cost involved. I am not going to say that the sport is cheap, but there are really two things I think about when discussing this.

1) If DD was not involved with TB, what would she be doing with that time? Hanging out at the mall or with friends. Participating in other sports. Going to the movies. Not knocking any of those activities, but each of them cost money too.

2) If DD was not involved with TB, what would the family do those dozen or so weekends that we are currently at tournaments? Driving other places. Family trips. Again, all good things, but each of them cost money too.

My point is that I am not sure the true cost of TB is measurable. If DD were not involved with TB, I am not sure we would be any further ahead financially. The money would just be diverted to something else. In addition, we get to spend a great deal of time together as a family and with friends with similar interests. I am having trouble finding a downside...

May 31, 2012
Agreed. I'd spend a lot more time and money on fishing. Doubt I'd be saving. Catching fish is fun but I love to watch softball.
And DD refuses to go fishing with me anymore so travel ball it is for us. Mom thinks I'm crazy for spending what I do on softball. She's probably right. But who cares its just money. Can't put a price on a game winning hit or a diving catch. Definitely can't put a price on our time together. Softball is our thing. We talk softball everyday and practice/play almost everyday. I fear the day DD would ever say she didn't wanna play softball anymore. I have an 11 yo and a 2 yo both girls. Hopefully I get at least 20 more years of softball.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2013
With this group, I don't think you will hear a downside really. If it works for you and your family, you feel like all members of the family are on board with the expense and time spent on TB(assuming you only have one child) since I really can't imagine other children not in TB would readily agree that they love traveling all weekends watching tournaments instead of pursuing their own interests, then there is no problem.

We all spend money on what we think is important. If you are at peace with it, who cares what your closets friends think? However, by asking the question, you are in some doubt and are looking for support. Which you will most def. find here.

Though, it would be advisable to keep a log of expenses, so you know what you have spent. I was calculating up equipment and lessons costs last night in my head and was a little shocked at how much I have spent in the last 6 months and we are only playing rec ball. To just toss aside the actual money part is a bit risky in my book. I know of a gentleman who is heavily invested in his two girls for the sake of scholarships, but when we had a frank discussion, he admitted that he was already well into the costs of college and they are only 12. So keeping track of the money spent is a good thing in my mind.

Looking forward to the replies.

Jan 16, 2013
Utah
Lucky to belong to softball and baseball organizations that are very well sponsored. One weekend family get away would equal the yearly fees I pay. Equipment costs equal out as I would spend that money on whatever hobby toys I was doing instead of equipping my ball players. I don't count the time or gas money as that time together is priceless!

Jun 22, 2008
One of the speakers at the first recruitment seminar I attended told all the parents, "If you are playing club ball strictly to chase a college scholarship, do yourself a favor and quit now and put your money in the bank. You will spend far more chasing the scholarship than you will ever spend on college itself."

Now that club ball and college is over for my daughter, the wife and I have discussed it several times. In 5 years of club ball, we easily spent more than what her college would have cost for 4 years of in state tuition. By the time you add up hotels, gas, time away from work, meals etc the costs get pretty high. I probably never want to really sit down and add up all the reciepts because it would scare me to death. I know nationals one year easily cost at least $5,000 - $6,000. By the time you figure 4 airline flights, rental car, hotel, meals etc for being out of town a full week it gets expensive.

But, the wife and all also both agree we would not trade it for the world. Daughter spent a lot of time with good friends all with the same interests in playing sports. Met a lot of good people, made new friends and saw new parts of the country we had never been to before. Many times we planned side trips and made mini family vacations out of them. Money wise, was it worth it? No. But as you have said, the benefits received from playing club ball run far deeper than just a college scholarship.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
We all spend money on what we think is important. If you are at peace with it, who cares what your closets friends think? However, by asking the question, you are in some doubt and are looking for support. Which you will most def. find here.
Looking forward to the replies.

As always, GG, you bring up some excellent points. As a family, we are comfortable with our decision, but it is nice to hear other perspectives from people with similar interests (this group). We have some close friends that are as involved as we are, but we get their opinions all the time :) My wife was recently offered a new job with a moderate pay increase. When we sat down and computed the extra time, travel, clothing expense, etc. we determined that the new job with increased pay would actually be a step backwards financially. This theory of "incremental costs" led to a group discussion with some of those other families, and we all came to the same conclusion. We like TB and intend to stick with it until our DDs decide they don't want to do it anymore. Thanks for the response!

Jan 25, 2011
I'm seeing the world one softball field at a time. Im spending my retirement now. I can't put a price tag on the time spent with my dd doing what she loves. To me it isn't about searching for that college scholarship, it is about my dd developing into a fine adult with values that she can't get from the mall or in front of a tv.

Aug 20, 2013
Plus you have to think, TB costs certainly are better than therapy or bail money. We are into sports an attempt to keep our kids out of all the trouble boredom can get you into, so the money is well spent in my book.

As to my scholarship comment, it really was only meant as an example and not saying all those who pour funds in to TB are only seeking scholarships. Hope I didn't cause any offense.

GG

Jun 24, 2013
TB can mean anything. DD plays Rec. and for her school and the SB season in from Jan. – Aug? Jan. – March is indoor training, games start early May. She likes going to the park playing 1 game then going home. She played a little over 40 games this year, she is not a fan of double headers.

My niece, a week older then my DD, pays less than we do in upfront costs but they need to pay for travel expresses for themselves a few times a year. She quit a TB team last year because they started to travel too much, it was not a money descision. They didn’t miss her too much, there were other families that liked this lifestyle.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
For those that are living paycheck to pay check and are paying me $60.00 one month and $60.00 the next, I advise them not to do it. (Like the family of 6 that I have that are living in a 5th Wheel.)

But, it isn't just softball. I have one family that fundraises so their daughter can take dance lessons.

What some families don't realize, is that the local sports park charge $4.00 per person and doesn't allow food brought in or even much water.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1