How would you spend your summer?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 8, 2019
My 15 year-old DD is leaving her "high-level" travel ball team. There is no outrageous drama involved. In essence, it just doesn't make sense for her to stay with the team. She won't improve, she won't enjoy playing for them and there is a massive commitment of time and money. Playing for them is having a negative impact on her emotional well-being. Also, it is worth noting that we are not leaving the team high and dry, they have a huge roster and will be fine without her.

So what do we do now? Teams are basically set for the summer. So I don't think we could jump onto another roster. She's a decent pitcher, so I imagine she could find some pickup games in the area. She doesn't need to play at the highest levels, but I can't imagine going back down to walk-a-thon type stuff would be worth her time either. We are considering just spending all those newly freed-up resources to just work on her game (more lessons, targeted workouts etc)

What would you do if you just cleared 3 months of travel ball off your calendar?

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Teams are never set. Target a few teams that meet your criteria and reach out to the coaches. IMO it's better to keep playing through the summer especially if she has college aspirations.

My DD just finished her college career and graduated. I am trying to figure out what I am going to do with the rest of my life. I played golf on Saturday at Memorial Park (site of the Houston Open). I started working in my yard which has been severely neglected over the years. DD told me she wants to start playing golf.

May 13, 2023
My 15 year-old DD is leaving her "high-level" travel ball team. There is no outrageous drama involved. In essence, it just doesn't make sense for her to stay with the team. She won't improve, she won't enjoy playing for them and there is a massive commitment of time and money. Playing for them is having a negative impact on her emotional well-being. Also, it is worth noting that we are not leaving the team high and dry, they have a huge roster and will be fine without her.

So what do we do now? Teams are basically set for the summer. So I don't think we could jump onto another roster. She's a decent pitcher, so I imagine she could find some pickup games in the area. She doesn't need to play at the highest levels, but I can't imagine going back down to walk-a-thon type stuff would be worth her time either. We are considering just spending all those newly freed-up resources to just work on her game (more lessons, targeted workouts etc)

What would you do if you just cleared 3 months of travel ball off your calendar?
Not seeing in your post what is causing her emotional stress? Not understanding why you would say she will not improve playing on a high level team with no drama.
From that why would you even consider any other softball team?

Whatever the answers are, since you already think that way perhaps taking a break is best. Perhaps being removed from sb will expose desire to play or walk away 🤷‍♀️

Put several vacation type ideas written down folded up in a hat and pick one by one for summer fun!

May 17, 2012
So what do we do now? Teams are basically set for the summer. So I don't think we could jump onto another roster.

There are more teams than pitchers so nothing is etched in stone. The only issue could be nationals and qualifiers but it is still early.

I would find a team you like and spend the summer playing with them. I would be less concerned with tournament location, visibility, national tournaments, showcases, etc.

It's summer though and if you want to keep playing you should find a team.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I don't know where you are, but the "walk-a-thon" isn't present anywhere but the very lowest level of 16/18U. Lots of decent, albeit not "high level", teams would welcome another pitcher.

Jun 8, 2016
My DD just finished her college career and graduated. I am trying to figure out what I am going to do with the rest of my life.
If I never got married my life would be office,gym and then couch to watch whatever ballgames are on. I plan on running with that plan modified as little as possible (and since being around me too much is not healthy, I doubt my DW will modify it much..)

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Depending on what your DD wants out of the experience, there is generally good competitive play at the regional B/A levels of softball. And at that level, having a quality pitcher is always in need. Games are usually within 1-3 hours drive, which may allow to forgo the need of a hotel. Most are 3GG or 4GG. We often see higher level pitchers on multiple teams over the course of a Summer season. Whether that's by their design or just a free weekend, not sure.

With a little research through local contacts (and FB), it shouldn't be hard to find a quality team or two for fill-in or to join for the entirety of the Summer season. At least around here, if a quality pitcher goes on the market....word gets around and she will land on a team.

Apr 8, 2019
There are more teams than pitchers so nothing is etched in stone. The only issue could be nationals and qualifiers but it is still early.

I would find a team you like and spend the summer playing with them. I would be less concerned with tournament location, visibility, national tournaments, showcases, etc.

It's summer though and if you want to keep playing you should find a team.
We are leaning toward this. It may not be ideal for exposure, but she doesn't need to play for national championships. I'm sure there are openings out there. But with it not being try-out season, I'm not sure how to find them.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
We are leaning toward this. It may not be ideal for exposure, but she doesn't need to play for national championships. I'm sure there are openings out there. But with it not being try-out season, I'm not sure how to find them.
Hopefully, you know of some teams and coaches that y'all played against who you would consider playing for. Call, Text or email. Your local area should have a facebook group. We usually picked up a player or two before our summer seasons. Teams are always looking for players. Contact the organization and ask them if any of their teams needs a player and what does their schedule look like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28