Compliance to the Alliance? $$$$

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Some Orgs. heads are informing/dictating to their coaches to not enter any PGF events. Of course money is involved. Some coaches had already signed up and paid for tourneys prior to be told how to run their team. The teams will probably be suffering a restocking fee. LOL. Thoughts on this situation?
Why would you force teams/parents/coaches/players to accrue the cost of travelling (have you seen the cost of airfare/car rental/gas?) when they could play very competitive tourneys/showcases in their own backyard? TB is expensive enough already and this type of policy is just going to make TB less accessible to more families. I guess the worse part is that the policy was not made clear to coaches and families until after teams were formed.

Most of these Orgs. are 501b non profits.

Time to find a different Org.? I personally am hoping for a major backfire with coaches/teams leaving the dictatorships for freedom.

Jun 8, 2016
Some Orgs. heads are informing/dictating to their coaches to not enter any PGF events. Of course money is involved. Some coaches had already signed up and paid for tourneys prior to be told how to run their team. The teams will probably be suffering a restocking fee. LOL. Thoughts on this situation?
Why would you force teams/parents/coaches/players to accrue the cost of travelling (have you seen the cost of airfare/car rental/gas?) when they could play very competitive tourneys/showcases in their own backyard? TB is expensive enough already and this type of policy is just going to make TB less accessible to more families. I guess the worse part is that the policy was not made clear to coaches and families until after teams were formed.

Time to find a different Org.? I personally am hoping for a major backfire with coaches/teams leaving the dictatorships for freedom.
just like some orgs won't play Alliance stuff..it is a power trip.

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
Interesting. This is the second time I've heard about this. Daughter plays for a franchised name that is pushing Alliance. We have historically played PGF and our schedule this year is more of the same. I think we've done 1 Alliance tourney in the last year or two. Rumors have been swirling that we might be "dis-enfranchised". LoL. I don't know what's going to happen, but if anything, it will be interesting. So much for it being all about the girls.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019

While being a dictator is not new to society.

Alliance starting up the way it did was purposefully created to divide PGF

Hence the now repercussions from it.

But there always have been people who want to focus their purpose toward certain events over others.

Jun 8, 2016
Interesting. This is the second time I've heard about this. Daughter plays for a franchised name that is pushing Alliance. We have historically played PGF and our schedule this year is more of the same. I think we've done 1 Alliance tourney in the last year or two. Rumors have been swirling that we might be "dis-enfranchised". LoL. I don't know what's going to happen, but if anything, it will be interesting. So much for it being all about the girls.
If your org head has any affiliation with either Alliance or PGF you can pretty much bet you won't be playing the other one and if you do heads will probably roll. Our org head is affiliated with Alliance and nobody in the org has played a PGF tournament since Alliance started...

Alliance was started by people who had a beef with PGF (regardless of what they say and whether the beef was warranted..) and the PGF people are not happy it happened...and here we are.

Jan 22, 2011
Interesting. My DD's team isn't currently scheduled to do any PGF events but did several last summer.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Alliance was started by people who benefited by getting free PGF births for their organizations for many years. And wanted to start capitalizing on the cash aspect.

True PGF started handing out (think it was over 50%) free births to pgf Nationals.
Which meant teams didn't actually have to qualify at qualifiers. So that did take away some of the competition to qualify and changed the playing field. but still those organizations got free births as well.

Time will tell if Alliance starts handing out free births also. If they haven't already?

Aug 17, 2019
Alliance was started by people who benefited by getting free PGF births for their organizations for many years. And wanted to start capitalizing on the cash aspect.

True PGF started handing out (think it was over 50%) free births to pgf Nationals.
Which meant teams didn't actually have to qualify at qualifiers. So that did take away some of the competition to qualify and changed the playing field. but still those organizations got free births as well.

Time will tell if Alliance starts handing out free births also. If they haven't already?
They already have. I personally know of two teams that were handed free berths they did not earn.

Apr 20, 2015
Yep you are all correct nothing but a bunch of ego clash splitting up the highest level of competition. Giving berths is a double edge sword. In the Midwest where weather is a significant factor in the number of weekends for qualifiers giving berths to teams that are known power houses allows more opportunities for other teams to win bids. I can see both sides of the argument

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I was on the original Texas Alliance Coaches call 2 years. It was started out of necessity because of Covid Travel Restrictions. Scott Smith and David McCorkle have talking for years on how to create a season ending WCWS format for Texas teams. The format allows for lesser known teams to earn their way into the inner circle by accumulating points. The idea caught fire and other regions starting buying in wheras PGF left a huge gap of nothingness while Cali was on lock down. Last year was it's first full complete year. I think the biggest complaint was playing in OKC at the end of the hot summer. IMO there are not enough local PGF events to compete it. They host qualifiers and then their Nationals. Alliance has many, many events that enables you to earn points.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi