Cost of college and scholarships

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 9, 2021
Is the FAFSA (or CSS) required even if you know you will not get need based aid or any federal money? Can you opt out of it? I assume it is school dependent, but figured I'd ask anyway.

May 18, 2022
Is the FAFSA (or CSS) required even if you know you will not get need based aid or any federal money? Can you opt out of it? I assume it is school dependent, but figured I'd ask anyway.
You don't have to do it, but it doesn't hurt, it's free and doesn't take too long.

May 31, 2023
Maybe I have Stockholm Syndrom, but $25-$35k a year sounds like table stakes to me. I'd love to hear about alternatives (yes, there's CC but that is only for 2 years.)
Some of these CC's have really nice facilities and really try to get the girls that want to continue playing into a 4 year school. I know FL and MS have a lot of opportunities and offer more in CC than some other states. If they cover tuition and books ($3k semester), food allowance ($2-3K yr) and dorms instead of apartment living (11K / yr) that is a lot of savings over 2 yrs and gives the DD time to understand what they really want to do.

May 27, 2013
If you want your student to be eligible for any federal loans you need to complete the FAFSA. Completing the CSS might open the student up to grants/money/scholarships that the school itself offers.

Oct 4, 2018
Grrrrrr...

One of my DD's target schools just announced their Elite Prospect Camp date, and it's when many of the best players in the country are at PGF Nationals in Hunnington Beach.

Boo!

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Grrrrrr...

One of my DD's target schools just announced their Elite Prospect Camp date, and it's when many of the best players in the country are at PGF Nationals in Hunnington Beach.

Boo!
You mean the college coaches won't be at the PGF? Decisions, Decisions.

Oct 4, 2018
You mean the college coaches won't be at the PGF? Decisions, Decisions.

Yeah, East Coast school that perhaps doesn't care about their softball team as much as Oklahoma does.

But really, seems like a scheduling issue that they could have easily avoided. It's like having your wedding on Masters weekend.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Yeah, East Coast school that perhaps doesn't care about their softball team as much as Oklahoma does.

But really, seems like a scheduling issue that they could have easily avoided. It's like having your wedding on Masters weekend.
Speaking of. I have a ticket to the Monday practice round this year!!!!

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
There are a few schools who require either application to receive merit-based money only, but they are rare exceptions. If you plan to take out any federal loans, parental or student, you need to file a FAFSA.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
My understanding is if you are getting any money at all, whether it is need based, academic based, athletic based, or other, the school is probably going to want you fill out a FAFSA. Though I could be wrong on that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles