Compliance to the Alliance? $$$$

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Good point, as with most things with travel/club softball it is all about expectations. If the club is up front about what the expectations are, then parents can decide if that's the type of program experience they are looking for. But, those expectations need to be clear from the sanctioning bodies as well.
The lack of proper communication is a big problem. For example players/parents/coaches joined team/org. last September and just now are finding out that they cant play in any pgf events. Was the lack of communication intentional?

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
The lack of proper communication is a big problem. For example players/parents/coaches joined team/org. last September and just now are finding out that they cant play in any pgf events. Was the lack of communication intentional?
Have you ever considered the organisational leaders were specific . Or open-minded and allowing teams to do whatever...
But then a person called a coach in between that conversation and the team decided what they wanted to do and applied that?
( didn't actually come from organizational leaders)

Not calling out the coach you know for years but there are quite possibly words that he has spoken out of his own mouth that did not come from others.
Plus deflecting conversation and blaming somebody else for it is a common thing.
Or
The timing of when the coach chose to bring it up was at his own timing.
*not saying that happened but it does/can.

From that I will say if people coaches want to do their own thing and they do not want to be managed by other people's directional suggestions.
They CAN start up their own team name.

Further,
When somebody jumps in the arena to coach to wear an already established Jersey in an organization they are willingly jumping into their circus.
(* circus for lack of a better word lol)

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Can remember having student catchers who went to play for a big-name organization. One of these times the coach of a team told the catcher that they had to go to one of the instructors at their organizations facility.
Having had catchers play for that organization multiple times in the past and never hearing of that standard,
I chose to make a phone call to the organizational leader.
The head top person.

I shared what the students family was told by the team's coach. The org. pres. directly said to me there are so many different coaches involved with the teams that there would be no way for him to oversee everything that they say. He appreciated my direct phone call to him. And said that it is absolutely not so that players of their organization have to only go to instructors at their facility. He said they welcomed all students of any instructor to earn a spot on their teams. He additionally added if I should ever need to contact him again to talk about softball or a concerning question to please give him a call.

I said thank you sir I appreciate your respect in the conversation and I will pass on your words to the student and family. Please know that you can contact me at anytime should you like to talk about softball or searching for players 🙂. From what I know the parents share the conversation with the team's coach and there were no further concerns about it.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2011
Was about to post something nice about Alliance, then just got a text they moved our 10AM game to an 8AM start. Fields are 90-120 minutes away-- on less than 18 hours' notice. If I didn't have tickets to the Stanford game tonight, I would use a free night certificate I have to use by the end of June to get a hotel room.

What is nice about Alliance is they got my favorite throwing guru, Austin Wasserman, to partner with them. www.highlevelthrowing.com

Jul 28, 2019
We were an early adopter of TFL/Alliance. However, within the first year they started mandating all teams use AGL to score official games. To receive “points”, it was required. Our team and teams we were playing were curious why we should all switch scoring apps (most used GC, and a few SidelineHD) to something with a less than stellar reputation. So we made the change to AGL, and ran into issue after issue. After 2-3 tournaments, we decided to abandon scoring with AGL, and move on from Alliance. I’m assuming a lot of money is changing hands just on a scoring app to enforce use of an Inferior product that very few want to use.
AGL has gotten better. Still not where GC is, but AGL is less frustrating than it was a year ago.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Was about to post something nice about Alliance, then just got a text they moved our 10AM game to an 8AM start. Fields are 90-120 minutes away-- on less than 18 hours' notice. If I didn't have tickets to the Stanford game tonight, I would use a free night certificate I have to use by the end of June to get a hotel room.

What is nice about Alliance is they got my favorite throwing guru, Austin Wasserman, to partner with them. www.highlevelthrowing.com
I wouldn't blame Alliance for the game change. That's on the TD and most likely a team dropped, added, blah blah blah.

How about this? DD's soph year on her new 18U team who are scheduled to play an 8am game at Imperial Park in Sugarland, Tx. We show up at 6:40am for warm ups, and notice we are the 1st people to show up. hmmm...that's odd. No one working the fields since it rained the night before. I asked DD if she got an email or text. By the way, she had a cricket phone since I wouldn't buy an iPhone. Well...guess what? Cricket phones didn't accept big group texts, so she had to get team texts relayed to her from a teammate. I called one of the dads on the team. They moved the fields to Conroe (Scrap Yards-45 minutes away). The player didn't relay the text that the fields were moved. You would think the coach would send an email to the parents for something like this!!!! Coach texted team captain who then sent to group text. DD received her used iPhone that week.

Mar 10, 2020
Some Orgs. heads are informing/dictating to their coaches to not enter any PGF events. Of course money is involved. Some coaches had already signed up and paid for tourneys prior to be told how to run their team. The teams will probably be suffering a restocking fee. LOL. Thoughts on this situation?
Why would you force teams/parents/coaches/players to accrue the cost of travelling (have you seen the cost of airfare/car rental/gas?) when they could play very competitive tourneys/showcases in their own backyard? TB is expensive enough already and this type of policy is just going to make TB less accessible to more families. I guess the worse part is that the policy was not made clear to coaches and families until after teams were formed.

Most of these Orgs. are 501b non profits.

Time to find a different Org.? I personally am hoping for a major backfire with coaches/teams leaving the dictatorships for freedom.
The coach and the schedule have to be a good fit. If coach does not have a schedule already designed they are not a good fit. That's common sense. Too many make commitments to uncertainty only to be discontent.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
You do know how PGF started, right? And by doing so they essentially moved ASA(USA) to its current irrelevant status.

What’s good for the goose is good for the gander. If anyone from PGF is complaining they need to check their hypocrite meter because it’s broken.

Many of the people who started PGF because they wanted more money and 'power'/ego/'best players on my team' are the exact same people who are behind the Alliance for pretty much exactly the same reasons. Same old boys club doing the same thing - looking for ways to take a bigger piece of the money pie for themselves. Glad I no longer have to deal with any of it.

Dec 30, 2011
Some Orgs. heads are informing/dictating to their coaches to not enter any PGF events. Of course money is involved. Some coaches had already signed up and paid for tourneys prior to be told how to run their team. The teams will probably be suffering a restocking fee. LOL. Thoughts on this situation?
Why would you force teams/parents/coaches/players to accrue the cost of travelling (have you seen the cost of airfare/car rental/gas?) when they could play very competitive tourneys/showcases in their own backyard? TB is expensive enough already and this type of policy is just going to make TB less accessible to more families. I guess the worse part is that the policy was not made clear to coaches and families until after teams were formed.

Most of these Orgs. are 501b non profits.

Time to find a different Org.? I personally am hoping for a major backfire with coaches/teams leaving the dictatorships for freedom.
In my opinion these big organizations have ruined things.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi