What do you see?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2011
It would be interesting to see how they throw. I'd forgo any live pitching and work on throwing and how it relates to hitting. Then, lots of tee work. And I mean a lot.
We've had coaches in the past that have said during live pitching, it's batting practice, so swing the bat! The girls would swing at every pitch and it carried over into games. I would definitely bring it to their attention each time they swing at a bad pitch.
Read the Megan tee thread also. (I had to beat RD to that one:)

These girls (except for one) throw pretty well. Like I said earlier , pitch selection for this particular session was my fault. Told them to swing at most everything. This group of girls actually strikes out very little in game action , but they are not consistent hitters due to mechanics. I have been on this site for a while and have read pretty much every thread (including the Megan 1 Tee :).) I have a plan on how to work these girls. Now , I just have to see if I can execute it effectively. Just posted these videos as a beginning of my "video diary" and to get some extra sets of eyes on it

Oct 10, 2011
These girls (except for one) throw pretty well. Like I said earlier , pitch selection for this particular session was my fault. Told them to swing at most everything. This group of girls actually strikes out very little in game action , but they are not consistent hitters due to mechanics. I have been on this site for a while and have read pretty much every thread (including the Megan 1 Tee :).) I have a plan on how to work these girls. Now , I just have to see if I can execute it effectively. Just posted these videos as a beginning of my "video diary" and to get some extra sets of eyes on it
It will be fun to see their progress. Best of luck!

Interested in feedback on this sequence, I just don't think there is much use in pitching girls one ball every three or four seconds. IMO this just encourages arm swinging since that is all they have time to do, repetitions are not as important QUALITY repetitions.

I'm nowhere near the expert FFS is mostly it seems like a lot of these girls drop the bat and have long straight loopy swings (yeah I know that is not very technical). Also very few of them seem to actually have any kind of coil or load, since I'm not an expert I could not put my finger on it but their timing just seems off, FFS of course nailed it they don't have the sequence down.

Jan 25, 2011
what age group? They look like all they ever were trained to do was be a contact hitter.None of these girls engage their lower half, half of them are squish the bug hitters and other dont even do that, rear leg or hips hardly move. Also on a side note, get someone who can at least give them something to hit.The pitching was awful,set up that L- screen in the background and pitch from 15-20 feet away at least, adjust the speed of the pitch to take in consideration on how close you are. Make them all sit down and watch their video and compare it to the best women hitters. Also if these girls are 14-u and above tell them and their parents the truth, don't hold back the punches and treat your own dd the same, dont be harder on her then the other girls or easier on her, the same.

Jan 24, 2011
Interested in feedback on this sequence, I just don't think there is much use in pitching girls one ball every three or four seconds. IMO this just encourages arm swinging since that is all they have time to do, repetitions are not as important QUALITY repetitions.

I'm nowhere near the expert FFS is mostly it seems like a lot of these girls drop the bat and have long straight loopy swings (yeah I know that is not very technical). Also very few of them seem to actually have any kind of coil or load, since I'm not an expert I could not put my finger on it but their timing just seems off, FFS of course nailed it they don't have the sequence down.

You are correct on the absence of coil and loading. Hardly any of them ever do it. They all try to hit from a static position. They have no awareness of how to use the lower body. This will be a task for me. Like I said earlier in the thread , pitch selection isnt an issue with these girls. If anything , they are sometimes too picky at the plate. Today , they swung and most everything because I told them to. I just wanted to see some swings on video. So , the did swing at some awful pitches. Once I start our offseason hitting , the QUALITY will become much more important

Jan 24, 2011
what age group? They look like all they ever were trained to do was be a contact hitter.None of these girls engage their lower half, half of them are squish the bug hitters and other dont even do that, rear leg or hips hardly move. Also on a side note, get someone who can at least give them something to hit.The pitching was awful,set up that L- screen in the background and pitch from 15-20 feet away at least, adjust the speed of the pitch to take in consideration on how close you are. Make them all sit down and watch their video and compare it to the best women hitters. Also if these girls are 14-u and above tell them and their parents the truth, don't hold back the punches and treat your own dd the same, dont be harder on her then the other girls or easier on her, the same.

Most of these girls have never really been "trained" how to hit. Basically , just see ball hit ball up to this point. Now , it will be my job to fix this.(I will have to train some parents as well) It will take time and work. But , I do have a plan for the offseason.

Jan 25, 2011
Tee work, tee, tee, tee. Two girls to a tee, one hitting one setting the ball. Coaches watching and correcting and parents, shutting up and learning too. Girls doing homework, hitting off a tee at home, if no room, stand in front of a mirror.Did I say tee work?

Jan 24, 2011
Tee work, tee, tee, tee. Two girls to a tee, one hitting one setting the ball. Coaches watching and correcting and parents, shutting up and learning too. Girls doing homework, hitting off a tee at home, if no room, stand in front of a mirror.Did I say tee work?

Like I said , I have a plan. Now , I just have to see if I can execute is successfully.

Oct 25, 2009
I agree with IMlearning about teaching them the similarity of throwing and batting. I also strongly agree that they need LOTS of tee work. Make sure the tee is placed near the center of their body. They probably will not know how to come to contact at that tee position; but they MUST be able to.

I would start them as a group (all at the same time) going through slow motion swings. If they can't do it slow, they can't do it fast.

Show them some model swings and explain each sequence of the swings. Also throwing. But it's much more important for you to understand the technical points; so that you can recognize what's right or wrong.

You have to do them as a group; there's not enough time otherwise. Plus, the feedback is instantaneous when watching their peers do right or wrong.

Jan 24, 2011
I agree with IMlearning about teaching them the similarity of throwing and batting. I also strongly agree that they LOTS of tee work. Make sure the tee is placed near the center of their body. They probably will not know how to come to contact at that tee position; but they MUST be able to.

I would start them as a group (all at the same time) going through slow motion swings. If they can't do it slow, they can't do it fast.

Show them some model swings and explain each sequence of the swings. Also throwing. But it's much more important for you to understand the technical points; so that you can recognize what's right or wrong.

You have to do them as a group; there's not enough time otherwise. Plus, the feedback is instantaneous when watching their peers do right or wrong.

I have a plan as to how I want to approach the offseason. Just posted the videos to get extra sets of eyes on the swings so that the hitters (and myself) can be evaluated as we go through the process

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunny 321commission