My fellow Blues, what would you do?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 2, 2013
I've umpired a few friendlies for DD's travel team. The first time each team supplied an ump to call the game while "their" team was batting. After that one I became the designated friendly ump and have done a couple by myself since then. I enjoyed it but was calling from behind the pitcher, which is no fun.

I called one of our girls out on a back pick at third that was a close play. Our head coach was coaching third and gave me a look but didn't say a word. One of the dad's from our team actually got upset with me about it. It was someone I knew well but he started complaining and even said something when I left the field. Those sort of things don't bother me so it was not a big deal.

Jul 2, 2013
Also, on the high school side, we can't do joint practices or scrimmages that aren't specifically allowed by the state. They allow one that is typically referred to as a jamboree. it's normally 3 or 4 teams that all play each other round robin for a few innings. Coaches can place runners and make substitutions as they see fit.

Aug 25, 2019
Well, today was the game, but while DD told me the other day she was ok with me doing the game, DW told me last night that DD wasn't really happy with me doing the game, which DD confirmed later. So I didn't do the game today, but went to it......I should have, game was kind of lame without any umpiring. Coaches didn't even call from behind the pitcher, they called balls and strikes from dugout opening. Couple of close plays at first had everyone standing around not knowing what to do.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Well, today was the game, but while DD told me the other day she was ok with me doing the game, DW told me last night that DD wasn't really happy with me doing the game, which DD confirmed later. So I didn't do the game today, but went to it......I should have, game was kind of lame without any umpiring. Coaches didn't even call from behind the pitcher, they called balls and strikes from dugout opening. Couple of close plays at first had everyone standing around not knowing what to do.
If you have to think through something that much to figure out if it was the right thing to do or not and then your daughter said she would have preferred you not to have done it and now you're still considering involving yourself in something that was a lame situation. You can wish you had done the game but I think you made the right decision to not. They could have easily made the decision to have the catchers call balls and Strikes. They could have asked somebody else to be the fill in umpire.

Seems to me it was not that important to the coaches to have an Umpire anyway.

Perhaps the best thing happened that everybody can realize how important having an umpire really is.

Even when umpire is right/wrong there's still somebody they're making a decision.
Probably best that person is not in relation to either team.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414