What do you see?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2011
Hello guys. I took some video of a few players from my team today just to see what we need to work on. These girls havent touched a bat in about two months. It really showed. Some old habits that we thought we had conquered late last year came back quickly. I would like to get your opinions on some of these swings. Basically just a small tidbit of what you see from each one. We start our serious offseason work next week. Some of these girls are holdovers from last year and 3 of them are brand new to the team. Be honest , but not overly harsh. I would like to share some of the info with them. :)

12/02/2012 01:47:32

12/02/2012 01:49:28

12/02/2012 01:50:57

12/02/2012 01:51:52

12/02/2012 01:54:02

12/02/2012 01:54:48

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
You have your work cut out for you.

Consider starting with the basic sequence ... until you tackle that, there will be little progress that sticks.

As for the last girl with the 'bat drag' issue ... we have a young 9yo girl here at DFP that recently demonstrated how she tackled that issue. Perhaps consider reading the first 6 pages of that thread.

Jan 24, 2011
You have your work cut out for you.

Consider starting with the basic sequence ... until you tackle that, there will be little progress that sticks.

As for the last girl with the 'bat drag' issue ... we have a young 9yo girl here at DFP that recently demonstrated how she tackled that issue. Perhaps consider reading the first 6 pages of that thread.

None of these girls have an understanding of how to use their lower half and most are arm swingers. 3 of these girls are pitchers and have spent much more time working on that part of the game. The fourth video is one that I would really like to hear about. She is by far the strongest and most athletic girl on the team , but is very raw. This past season she had a lot of ups and downs at the plate. She can hit some real bombs (if she gets the right pitch) , but due to her mechanics , isnt consistent at all.

The girl with the bat drag is something that frustrates me. That hitter is my DD. She had never had a problem with this until the Fall. Her swing had been really good all year and she had been successul , then the wheels fell off. I have been reading quite a bit of the bat drag thread

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
3 of these girls are pitchers and have spent much more time working on that part of the game. The bat drag was something that frustrates me. That hitter is my DD. She had never had a problem with this until the Fall. Her swing had been really good all year and she had been successul , then the wheels fell off. I have been reading quite a bit of the bat drag thread

I'm sorry to read that.

She also had a significant issue in terms of selection and discipline. A pitcher wouldn't need to throw anything close to a strike based on what this video shows. One mentality is to make the pitcher throw a strike ... and then make them pay for being so foolish ... something this hitter doesn't appear to quite grasp ... at least not during this hitting session.

With this hitter ... I'd introduce her to her hands. Let her know what it is like to turn the barrel. That is a concept some of the other hitters would benefit from also. Overall though ... the sequence needs to be beefed up ... and beefed up considerably. A lot of swings with poor sequences ... very very raw ... with many swings that are army ... and unfortunately they appear to be receiving positive feedback for a job not well done. They can learn the truth now that their swing won't cut it ... or they can wait and learn on the field of competition. Personally I'd be brutally honest with them and then get down to work.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2011
I'm sorry to read that.

She also had a significant issue in terms of selection and discipline. A pitcher wouldn't need to throw anything close to a strike based on what this video shows. One mentality is to make the pitcher throw a strike ... and then make them pay for being so foolish ... something this hitter doesn't appear to quite grasp ... at least not during this hitting session.

With this hitter ... I'd introduce her to her hands. Let her know what it is like to turn the barrel. That is a concept some of the other hitters would benefit from also. Overall though ... the sequence needs to be beefed up ... and beefed up considerably. A lot of swing with a poor sequence ... many of which are very arm and appear to be receiving positive feedback for a job not well done.

Pitch selection really isnt a problem. Today was a situation in which I wanted to just get some video quickly and told them to swing at pretty much everything. Those swings at bad pitches are my fault. As far as the "positive" feedback some are receiving. That comes from parents that really dont see things the way they really are. I knew it was there today , but I turned down the volume when I watched the videos :) I told them all today that I was posting these videos and the review would not be glowing at all. But , it will give them an idea of how much work needs to be done

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Pitch selection really isnt a problem. Today was a situation in which I wanted to just get some video quickly and told them to swing at pretty much everything. Those swings at bad pitches are my fault. As far as the "positive" feedback some are receiving. That comes from parents that really dont see things the way they really are. I knew it was there today , but I turned down the volume when I watched the videos :)

Part of the issue here is that you have some kids that look to be pretty old for such swing issues ... and at the same time they appear to have parents that are blind to reality. This looks to be a big project. I've been there ... and I can't state enough that brutal honesty is the only approach I'd go with this group.

Jan 24, 2011
Part of the issue here is that you have some kids that look to be pretty old for such swing issues ... and at the same time they appear to have parents that are blind to reality. This looks to be a big project. I've been there ... and I can't state enough that brutal honesty is the only approach I'd go with this group.

A few of these kids are really raw in terms of experience. So , I understand why they have some of the flaws that they do. I know it is a big job , but I fully intend to tackle it. I have an offseason plan already mapped out and we are starting from step 1 and from the ground up starting next week.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Sounds good. Nail down the sequence. Get that nailed first and foremost ... maybe consider tackling the bat drag issues first. Do that, and the job at hand won't be nearly as frustrating. Wish you the best in assisting these ladies.

Jan 24, 2011
Sounds good. Nail down the sequence. Get that nailed first and foremost ... maybe consider tackling the bat drag issues first. Do that, and the job at hand won't be nearly as frustrating. Wish you the best in assisting these ladies.

I will be posting a lot of video over the next few months just to get some opinions on whether or not these girls (and I) are making progress. I know the competitive nature of these ladies and I do believe we can do this.

Oct 10, 2011
It would be interesting to see how they throw. I'd forgo any live pitching and work on throwing and how it relates to hitting. Then, lots of tee work. And I mean a lot.
We've had coaches in the past that have said during live pitching, it's batting practice, so swing the bat! The girls would swing at every pitch and it carried over into games. I would definitely bring it to their attention each time they swing at a bad pitch.
Read the Megan tee thread also. (I had to beat RD to that one:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619