My fellow Blues, what would you do?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
A little bit off topic, but I don't understand the concept of a scrimmage at the HS level. Just make it a real non-conference game.

I don't think Illinois even allows these types of scrimmages. If you play against another team, it's a contest.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
I say go for it, it is likely to be the only chance the tow of you get to share this sort of experience.

@CoachJD, not sure about IL but in MI the teams are limited on the number of contest dates they can have. Also, you don't all of the line-up rules to deal with. You can set up situations.

Flash is this intra-squad?

Jul 22, 2015
A little bit off topic, but I don't understand the concept of a scrimmage at the HS level. Just make it a real non-conference game.

I don't think Illinois even allows these types of scrimmages. If you play against another team, it's a contest.
No lineup or substitution limitations, freedom to work situations (like putting runners on to start an inning), ability to cut an inning if one team scores too many runs in order to be sure everyone gets the at bats they need, etc. Lots of advantages early in the season vs playing a regular game.

Aug 25, 2019
I say go for it, it is likely to be the only chance the tow of you get to share this sort of experience.

@CoachJD, not sure about IL but in MI the teams are limited on the number of contest dates they can have. Also, you don't all of the line-up rules to deal with. You can set up situations.

Flash is this intra-squad?
No, against another team

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
No lineup or substitution limitations, freedom to work situations (like putting runners on to start an inning), ability to cut an inning if one team scores too many runs in order to be sure everyone gets the at bats they need, etc. Lots of advantages early in the season vs playing a regular game.

So it's not really a scrimmage. It's just a joint practice with another school?

That's definitely not allowed in IL. I'm sure schools do it though.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Anytime somebody is acting like an Umpire whether they are officially an umpire or not or it's called a game or a scrimmage it has someone who's trying to be the official.

Judgment will happen. By the umpire and everybody who will be judging the umpire.

Your dd or not,
If you are going to act like an official on the field you'll just have to deal with being judged no matter what. Because you will be judging the game they will have to deal with you.
That's what you have to be comfortable with.

My .02 cents 🙂

Jul 22, 2015
So it's not really a scrimmage. It's just a joint practice with another school?

That's definitely not allowed in IL. I'm sure schools do it though.
We call them scrimmages in TX 🤷‍♂️. Game conditions with umpires but extra freedoms essentially. Sometimes coaches will agree to format changes like 6 outs/half inning or run limits per half.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Go for it. It is a scrimmage - no one is going to care if you get a few wrong. Game doesn't count for anything.
I did do my DD's HS All Star Game - but that was all just for a bit of fun.

I am not allowed to umpire my DD's former HS games for 5 years after her last game.

And in FL, yes, if another team is involved it counts a game - no scrimmages unless you get some sort of permission (we do get permission from FHSSA for a couple of pre-season scrimmages each year for umpire training purposes)

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
I have a chance to umpire my DD's HS scrimmage game this week. At first I thought it would be fun, being on the same field as DD, but then I'm thinking if I start ringing up her teammates, there might be some animosity towards her, or me from their parents. Also, would you call that a conflict of interest?....It's only a scrimmage, and I'd call it as I see it with no favoritism. DD doesn't mind if I do. If I don't do it, no one else will and the coaches will be calling pitches from behind the pitcher (which may be better since we all know coaches know the strike zone better than umpires :p)
Stay off the field. No good will come from it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi