Committed, SR Season - What to do???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2021
Mine is taking the summer off, she was the youngest on her travel team last year that all played college this past year. She will be off to D1 in a month and she treated this summer like a college athlete would. Rest, working out with pitching coach, team workout and being away from the game itself. She has never had a summer off to be a kid and is soaking it up and enjoying it.

Jun 8, 2016
She has never had a summer off to be a kid and is soaking it up and enjoying it.
Not knocking you personally, and it sounds like your DD knows what she needs, but the bolded (when it comes to not playing softball/baseball) always makes me laugh. Last time I checked there are very few 40 YO playing softball/baseball..IMO a better statement would be "summer off to do things that many other kids get to do.."

Sep 3, 2015
My 2022 daughter will soon head off to play in a mid-major D1 program. Her coach told her to continue to play at the highest level possible. This included a fall and summer full of the most competitive tournaments possible. Training and private lessons are always on the books, but nothing can really substitute for actual game play.

Same for my DD, 2022 major D1 commit. Coming off a top 5 PP finish in Colorado and a 3rd place finish at TCS, one more shot at PGF.

Second year in a row I thought TCS should have been skipped. Also, in my opinion it’s the worst big event for recruiting in the summer.

She also has summer workout and conditioning program that the school school supplied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 27, 2021
Not knocking you personally, and it sounds like your DD knows what she needs, but the bolded (when it comes to not playing softball/baseball) always makes me laugh. Last time I checked there are very few 40 YO playing softball/baseball..IMO a better statement would be "summer off to do things that many other kids get to do.."
Seems we said the same thing, I just don't need to dress it up.

Jun 27, 2021
Different connotation (playing ball isn't robbing a kid of their childhood..) but whatever.
Who said robbed? I know I didn't. If she didn't enjoy those summers of traveling to CO, CA and all over the south she could of called it quits after her team won state. She embraced being recruited in 8th grade, NCAA pulling back on her class to 9/1 of JR. Camps, 2 surgeries that forced her out 6 months each time, covid year etc. Like I said, I didn't say she was robbed. But like you said, whatever.

Jun 8, 2016
Who said robbed? I know I didn't. If she didn't enjoy those summers of traveling to CO, CA and all over the south she could of called it quits after her team won state. She embraced being recruited in 8th grade, NCAA pulling back on her class to 9/1 of JR. Camps, 2 surgeries that forced her out 6 months each time, covid year etc. Like I said, I didn't say she was robbed. But like you said, whatever.
Yeah in my original post I said I wasn't knocking you and that it seems like your DD is doing what is best for her...relax. I find the phrase amusing because of what it implies..

Jun 27, 2021
Yeah in my original post I said I wasn't knocking you and that it seems like your DD is doing what is best for her. I find the phrase amusing/silly because of what it implies..
what does it imply or makes it amusing/silly?

Jun 8, 2016
what does it imply or makes it amusing/silly?
It implies that playing ball isn't part of being a kid. Yes I know the crazy travel is not normal for most kids (even though traveling in the summer is for some..) but at the end of the day they are still just playing softball. At this point I am sorry I even brought it up.. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2021
It implies that playing ball isn't part of being a kid..
Some may view it that way in rec league. Once you cross over to travel coast to coast, although fun, rewarding it becomes more business and long term for most. The game has taken her/us places that we would not have seen otherwise. I don't think when she does stop playing will she look back and think my childhood was neglected. Like I said in my original stance, she is sleeping in on the weekends, no hotels/planes and working out with her trainers during the week. Treating the summer like a college athlete.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles