My fellow Blues, what would you do?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 25, 2019
I have a chance to umpire my DD's HS scrimmage game this week. At first I thought it would be fun, being on the same field as DD, but then I'm thinking if I start ringing up her teammates, there might be some animosity towards her, or me from their parents. Also, would you call that a conflict of interest?....It's only a scrimmage, and I'd call it as I see it with no favoritism. DD doesn't mind if I do. If I don't do it, no one else will and the coaches will be calling pitches from behind the pitcher (which may be better since we all know coaches know the strike zone better than umpires :p)

Dec 15, 2018
CT
I know my own DD would never let me do it. And I would never do an actual game.

But a scrimmage, that no one else could do, and the situation was fully disclosed to both coaches, and my Dd was ok with, I would do.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
Scrimmage is fine.

No way, if this was a real game. Certainly a conflict of interest in that scenario. It is a no win situation for you if this was a real game.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
It didn't happen more than a couple of times, but I swear when a dad was umpiring a game, we lost every close call.

The guy appeared to screw his kid's team because he didn't want to seem "biased".

Jul 31, 2015
Do it!
You may not get the chance again.
And heck, it's only a scrimmage.

Make sure both teams are fully aware.

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
Scrimmage is fine.

No way, if this was a real game. Certainly a conflict of interest in that scenario. It is a no win situation for you if this was a real game.

I agree. I am a soccer ref. I have done friendlies for my DD’s team. Never in any type of game that counts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 10, 2020
I have a chance to umpire my DD's HS scrimmage game this week. At first I thought it would be fun, being on the same field as DD, but then I'm thinking if I start ringing up her teammates, there might be some animosity towards her, or me from their parents. Also, would you call that a conflict of interest?....It's only a scrimmage, and I'd call it as I see it with no favoritism. DD doesn't mind if I do. If I don't do it, no one else will and the coaches will be calling pitches from behind the pitcher (which may be better since we all know coaches know the strike zone better than umpires :p)
This is already on your conscience don't do it.

Jul 22, 2015
I've done it more than once. Also called the fall and summer high school leagues (they are pretty casual). I did have to ring up my dd and her best friend on one occasion each, but nothing ever caused any hard feelings in any way. The girls all understood what I was there to do and it never became an issue for anyone.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00