What about this swing?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Wouldn't think those were to mark the strike zone since they are using a pitching machine, but who knows.

I was thinking the same thing that crankermo wrote. I like the "ichiro" drill to help push off the back foot.

[video]http://youtube.com/watch?v=FKIUDsSwo2c[/video]

This is the drill, BUT I always do it in one fluid motion, pushing hard off of the inside of the back foot. I am not sure of why they stop at toe touch.

We use a drill similar to this that we refer to as the "Either Drill". LClifton over at BBD described it to many of us.

The way it works is that you load back similar to what you see below for a time duration between 1 to 3 secs ... a coach standing by will vary the time (1-3 secs) and say 'go'. Upon hearing the word 'go' the batter coils forward to hit. The batter does not 'explode forward', but goes at their own controlled pace.

2yuksjm.gif

I extend the drill to alternate between adding a 1-sec pause that you see in the Youtube example, and also the smooth continuous swings ... it helps in terms of learning to land on a soft flexed leg, so as to be prepared for an off-speed pitch, with the understanding that the real weight shift occurs with the use of the hands. During that 1-sec pause you should be mildly continuing to flex/bend your lead leg.

Oct 25, 2009
This is a great drill, the "either drill". I like the way the BB player is coiling rather than just striding as the Alabama player is doing. I call this the "kick stride drill". You can also have the player "hover" the stride foot for timing when necessary when doing live pitch drills.

It is very similar to the way a BB pitcher winds up as far as the kick stride is concerned. I like this even better than the walk-up drill, which has similar benefits.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I was "thinking" he might have done hard toss before, hitting spots? And just left them up as an aid for the machine. But yea, Perfect Circle, that's your job next time you go. Let us know what they are for. :)

Had trouble getting an email from Batting Coach. Still don't have one??? Next time someone asks me for mine, I going to say "If you give me yours first" Anyways, found out from someone who was playing attention this:

"the orange things helps him to see how long the bat is in the zone."

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Todays Lesson. Appreciate any comments.

With a closed stance like Amy pointed out, it normally makes your hands go out over the plate and create's a circular swing.
Draw a chalk line parrallel to the plate for a visual for hitter to see there stance.
Add some tilt from the waist up and try and maintain it through out the swing.
It will make you bat go through the zone at a different angle.

SL

ps. After watching it again she might be breaking her wrists over too early
Watch where her bat finish's

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2010
Please ask your coach the purpose of the two orange things and report back to us. The only thing I can think of is that he was trying to show them if they stay in zone, just how far out in front they can make contact with a ball. i'm grasping trying to figure this hitting aid out.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Please ask your coach the purpose of the two orange things and report back to us. The only thing I can think of is that he was trying to show them if they stay in zone, just how far out in front they can make contact with a ball. i'm grasping trying to figure this hitting aid out.

"the orange things helps him to see how long the bat is in the zone."

Jun 3, 2010
I knew it had to have something to do with the big zone. But i dont see how he can see where the bat is in a full speed swing. Also the orange things are a set distance, each player will keep the bat in the zone different lenghts because of stature, bat length and initial set up at the plate.

But a rope and the matrix drill is the best thing I have found to see how long a player keeps the bat in the zone. But to each his own.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Yeah ... I didn't think squaring the feet up in the stance would address her swing issues.

We still see 'bat drag' and spinning of the rear leg.

Her particular sequence, and the killing of her swing with the early lead leg/foot action, is going to make it very difficult to address her spinning issue. She is basically performing a sequence of "Shift THEN Swing", and she often first shifts into a squared front foot ... giving her little option but to spin with her rear leg.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32