POLL- would you pay this?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Would you do *weekly hitting lessons like that?

• No

Votes: 34 91.9%
  • Yes

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • What if it was head of organization? No

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • What if it was head of organization? Yes

Votes: 1 2.7%

• Total voters
Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Well, you've got the number wrong, it's $40!

Doesn't matter what the poll results are, demand far outstrips the supply of classes as they are all sold out across all age groups and types of hitters.

The group format give tons of reps, two machines, couple tee stations, and a live station.

Regarding the head of the org, there's more than a couple reasons why you'd want to be in those lessons, you put 2 + 2 together. The whole place is a one stop shop which IMO is very good for the game of softball, at any one time there 100+ players improving their craft at the same place.
Iron sharpens iron. Having the players working together helps push each other to outdo and outwork each other...at least for the competitive ones. I don't think you need to be watched on every single swing during a lesson. Group lessons for the instructor allows for more kids to hear the same thing at the same time. However, there is value in some one on one time to help tweak some things that need work.

Most of your improvements will be done when doing reps on your own. I think of golfers. Go to a lesson, bring what you learned to the range. Work on it. Take it to the course. Back to range, range again, range again. Play a round. Go back to the lesson for feedback on what you worked on. Rinse and repeat. At the younger ages in golf, most lessons are done in groups.

Sep 19, 2018
We go to ChallengeU on the other side of town. Small place, but Softball only, all women. A couple of kids from our school go there, and the results have been good. My daughter's first pitching coach is coaching with Columbia now.
I had a very frustrating experience at Challenge U. In the search for my DD pithing coach I learned that I needed to be very specific in what I was looking for in pitching technique. I shared video and spoke about "palm up at 9:00" being the technique I was looking for. The instructor assured me that is what was being taught. I got there and the coach put my dd in a palm down T position and instructed her to do a Hello Elbow.

I was livid. I never considered it since.

May 13, 2023
Most of your improvements will be done when doing reps on your own.
That is a subset of people.

There is also a subset of people that go to lessons and do not do reps on their own. Particularly within this group are the people that go to lessons because that is where they HAVE TO work on things. Guidance to Force training type of thing. Paying for a babysitter maybe another way to say it.

High probability that within those groups the instructor sees the serious ones from the not so serious.

Oct 4, 2018
My older DD had a coach who mandated that all girls do group lessons with the same hitting coach. My DD used a different hitting coach for private lessons and was leading the team offensively.

My DD would go to the hour lessons and every time come back with "We worked on some weird drill for an hour because Sally is casting" or something similar.

To our family, it was a really dumb approach. And guess what. We quit that team shortly thereafter (for other reasons all coach related) and the team broke up months later and only about half the girls are still playing.

Oct 4, 2018
I rarely, if ever, see a hitting coach attend a game. How are they helping their hitter if they don't know what happens in live situations? Well, I'll get off the soap box now.

I'm sure you're aware that hitting coaches mostly teach afternoons and evenings and thus can't get to High School games. And expecting them to travel hours to watch a few at bats at a travel tourney for just one of their kids? Really just not feasible but certainly is awesome if they do it. I simply don't expect ours to do it. Perhaps if the situation was such that lots of the instructor's kids are at a local tourney it could work better.

Ours asks every single girl to send game videos, and he really wants to see them and will offer advice real time if there's something he thinks is fixable immediately.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
RH, Jimmy Kolaitis once talked to my dd when he was at Southern Alabama about playing there.

In camps, the format is clear so you pay while knowing what you are getting into. Personally, any group larger than 3 or 4 significantly limits the amount of time any one player gets instructed. I mostly do groups of 2. Sometimes, I do a group of 3 but my fee is so reasonable that no one would complain. (Mostly free.)

This is my opinion and I don't want to offend anyone. I've done enough of that lately on this site. There are so many EXPERTS out there that don't know their ..... from a hole in the ground. To me, it appears that they are in it for the money while, at the same time, are not learning new things. I run into it all of the time in HS ball. I rarely, if ever, see a hitting coach attend a game. How are they helping their hitter if they don't know what happens in live situations? Well, I'll get off the soap box now.
If your hitting coach isn't asking for game video preferably from the face on angle you are going to the WRONG coach. I said it.

May 13, 2023
If your hitting coach isn't asking for game video preferably from the face on angle you are going to the WRONG coach. I said it.
🤷‍♀️ if people are going to a hitting instructor that is asking for the player to bring hitting video and they don't. Is the instructor working with the wrong people? There I asked it 🙂

May 13, 2023
That would be a strong yes.
Hmmm to Define further...
Do you mean the wrong people are going to lessons because they don't follow through with videoing themselves as the instructor requested?

Or are you saying the instructor should drop people for not following through with videoing?

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles