What about this swing?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
As for the swing … Amy mentioned that the batter is using a closed stance. Crankermo mentioned that he observed spinning and bat drag. I’ll add that it looks like we see one of the defects associated with attempting to make contact with the hands in a parallel palm-up/palm-down orientation.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
It is a -10 31in 21oz...Miken MV3... She just had a -11 29in 19oz...Walmart Eston $24 for past two years. I wasn't really worried about her hitting, she has always been in top 4. New "A" team, and they are alittle more serious, so I'm going to try too. I got that bat from a poster on here mentioned them being on sale for $49 free shipping. The Coach put a bat in her hand last wednesday, and she was knocking them past the out feild..(park has no fence). I think he has her sized already. We have several bigger girls, so I thought I would get a composite for her to bring to the party, and maybe someone else can use if she can't, and wants the other one he has. He did tell her he was going to get her a bat ??? Funny thing is, she didn't hit as good as usual, but she said she loves it ??? They only came in one size at that price. But Spring is a long way away... I'm counting on her growing some, and she is going to start swinging 100 times every other day.

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Wouldn't think those were to mark the strike zone since they are using a pitching machine, but who knows.

I was thinking the same thing that crankermo wrote. I like the "ichiro" drill to help push off the back foot.

[video]http://youtube.com/watch?v=FKIUDsSwo2c[/video]

This is the drill, BUT I always do it in one fluid motion, pushing hard off of the inside of the back foot. I am not sure of why they stop at toe touch.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Thanks all you guys & gal !!! I'm writing (coping & pasting this all down), every word. I liked the link too redhotcoach !!! saved it to my favorites! I can get better video to look at, just didn't want to point it with everyone else there. New team 3rd practice.

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I am sure she will adjust quickly to that bat size with some bp. Plus our Mikens, past and present, seem to get more pop the more we use them.

The girl in the link is using a miken too! At least it looks like a Kretschman Intensite-e and sounds like a miken. Sorry, I am a bat dork.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Wouldn't think those were to mark the strike zone since they are using a pitching machine, but who knows.

I was "thinking" he might have done hard toss before, hitting spots? And just left them up as an aid for the machine. But yea, Perfect Circle, that's your job next time you go. Let us know what they are for. :)

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Will do... I'll email him "Now" really. They got all my information. Like I said, He was really super nice, and it was an excellent team event. He even welcomed us to follow around to each station so we could listen. He went and got them out of a storage room, for a girl in a different group. It wasn't out there, until she couldn't make contact. Then he just left them there. We finished with a little competition of everyone just getting 4 pitches. We do have several that have trouble making contact... I would have to say over all they improved...no one struck out, like they were in the beginning of lesson. I'll email him right now.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Ah. Maybe it was just instruction to track the ball into the thingies. I did read somewhere that we can't actually "watch the ball to the bat" that we lose the ball 6-10 feet out. Still think that is a good cue if that is what he was doing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mizenikki1